BTB (Back To Basics)- Disconnecting a Car Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTB (Back To Basics)- Disconnecting a Car Battery

When youre done bitching about the Web Team, maybe you can join us over here. Lets do some back to basics (BTB) please.

Its been awhile, but disconnecting the starndard car battery- Negative first right?

And why?
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 10-07-2006, 02:09 PM.

I believe that it is negative first.

And I was taught to cut a 1-2" section out of each cable so that if the cables were to touch after being cut they would not reenergize the car, even for a moment.

I dunno, just what I have been taught.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Comment

The theory behind "negative first"is this: Almost all modern cars and trucks are negative ground,making anything metal in the body grounded(or a return path to the battery)(negative earth to our brothers across the pond).If you cut the POSITIVE first and touch anything metal with the cutters you will create a spark.Usually a pretty big one.By cutting the negative you lessen the possibility of this by greater than 80%.Like anything else it isn't completely foolproof but that's why it's taught that way.Likewise on an OLD vehicle(pre 1954ish)with POSITIVE ground you would cut the positive first.The key here is to remove the GROUND from the equasion.Clear as mud? T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by CALFFBOU
        And why?
        200 years of tradition thats why

Honestly Bou I do not know. It is just something that was always taught but the other replies make since to me.
        K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
        EVERYONE GOES HOME
        IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by BFDLT32

Honestly Bou I do not know. It is just something that was always taught but the other replies make since to me.

200 years ! Cars have only been around since like 1885 ! LOL
          ******=================
          ******================
          ******=================
          ******================
          =======================
          =======================
          =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Comment

pointless...

Comment

Disconnect the GROUND first. Usually negative, but as R101 mentioned, some older cars may still have a positive ground. For today, we'll assume it is a modern negative ground.

The why is simple:

Removing either contact will achieve the goal of disrupting the flow of power.

However, if you chose to remove the positive first, and hit any part of the mangled car body with your wrench, you could accidentally create a circuit between the terminal and the body that would result in a strong current and major light and smoke show. In rare cases, in that instant where the wrench or tool touches the body it is even possible to instantly "weld" the metal implement to the body, causing a sustained reaction, and possible fire or battery rupture.

If you remove the negative ground first, and you accidentally touch the body, nothing happens. That is where that line goes anyway. Just remember to steer clear of the positive terminal while doing so.

And as for cutting out a section; we don't. Nothing really wrong with doing so, but you may find that you or the wrecker WANT to re-energize the car at some point, and you have just removed your ability to do so.

We try to remove the cable neatly, but fold the end back and duct tape it off so it can't reach the terminal either way.

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron3427
                pointless...

And this comment isnt? Contribute to the thread or go away. There. Now we dont need to worry about the webteam!

as for disconnecting....if you didnt destroy the connections, just tape the ends off so they cant touch metal again, instead of cutting them.
                Last edited by nyckftbl; 10-07-2006, 07:55 PM.
                Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

Originally posted by BFDLT32

Ugh...

First- The phrase goes- "150 years of tradition..." Please get it right.

Second- I hope you now know that its black/ground first.

Lastly, I knew the answer all along, just wanted to let other people chime in first.

Comment

The disconnection of the negative lead will cause a much shorter and cooler arc and lessen the chance of igniting any vapors.

Comment

When you remove the negative cable first you will get NO sparks while removing it. If you remove the positive cable first you WILL get sparks just from removing it as it is still in a closed circut. Also there is some mis-information in a few of the above threads....Regardless if the negative cable is removed or not, IF you touch any metal part with your wrench while removing the positive cable, you will get sparks. You are creating a dead short between the positive and ground.
                      Buck
                      Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Comment

Originally posted by CALFFBOU
                        Ugh...

First- The phrase goes- "150 years of tradition..." Please get it right.

Second- I hope you now know that its black/ground first.

Lastly, I knew the answer all along, just wanted to let other people chime in first.
                        First- I know, but I like change

Second- I do know

Lastly that was nice of you to make this a good training exercise
                        K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
                        EVERYONE GOES HOME
                        IACOJ

Comment

Let's go a step further. Do you disconnect the battery cables or cut them?

Look at the car. You don't have to work in a body shop to be able to tell when a vehicle is drivable or not. If it looks like it can be driven away, or even driven out of the road and into a nearby parking lot, just disconnect the battery cables.

If the damage is so severe that it will need to be towed, save the time and cut the cables. This is when you will cut the 2 inch chunck out of them like it was mentioned above.

Don't play games with wrenches and neatly disconnect a battery from a car that clearly has so much damage that it has to be towed anyways. And whatever you do, don't cut the cables and find out that another family member is planning on driving the car away from the scene.
                          Chris Shields
                          Lieutenant / EMT
                          Haz-Mat Technician
                          East Syracuse Fire Dept
                          Onondaga County, NY

Comment

I've always been taught to avoid cutting the cable for the same reason mcaldwell stated. At the same time, I was taught a long time ago to slip a latex glove over the cable ends to prevent any accidental arcing.

Comment

Depends on if you even can get to the battery. If you can reach in with snips but not a wrench then go for a cut cuz thats the only thing yo can do.
                              J
                              It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X