Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Further Reading....

If youre still interested in the war years:

Fire! : Text and Photographs By Breslin, Jimmy, and Scher, Steven. Great collection of photos basically from the late 1960's and early 1970's. Many from the South Bronx too.

Alex Donchin also has a great book out but out of print called "First Due" which features mostly Brooklyn but includes the same time period.

If youre really lucky and can get your hands on "The Bronx is Burning" by the BBC, that also makes a great supplement to the book. Interviews with Dennis Smith, Chief Lee Rock and footage of the big house and their runs.

There are others out there too but this should be a start. Great way to honor the tradition of the job and the members that have come before us in the heyday of the fire service!

Comment

This has nothing to do with the war years, obviously, but pretty cool nonetheless. I have no idea where this fire is, but its somewhere in the Mt Eden section of the BX..and its pretty recent....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=bravest&hl=en
      Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

Good knockdown on a top floor job!

Comment

Thank you again Irons. I will look these books up online. I am always interested in the history of the FDNY. I am actually going to Barnes and Nobles today to pick up a few books I ordered. I may just ask for a Barnes and Nobles gift card for Christmas!

The Big House....are you talking about L45/E93 in Manhattan?

Nice video. One day I hope to shot some of the same footage myself. : )
          Anymore? I looked up a few on Youtube the other day...for a few minutes. NYCfire.net is great and EMTBravo Network has great info, photos, and video.

Comment

Sorry, my mistake. I meant to say "La Casa Grande" not the big house. My translator must have been broken when I wrote that last message haha! Anyways La Casa Grande is Engine 82 Ladder 31 and the Chief (Battalion 27) in the South Bronx.

Comment

LOL.

Si'... La Casa Grande. I have heard of them. : )

Hey Irons.... While I was at Barnes and Nobles tonight I asked them to look up the books recommended. B & N were only able to find "The Bronx is Burning" by Jonathan Mahler. I looked up the books on Amazon.com and did a search with the authors online and had no luck. Maybe my search engine is not good. Do you know where I can get them? Thanks.
              Last edited by firetruckred; 10-27-2006, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nyckftbl
                This has nothing to do with the war years, obviously, but pretty cool nonetheless. I have no idea where this fire is, but its somewhere in the Mt Eden section of the BX..and its pretty recent....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=bravest&hl=en
                Looks like University or Sedwick Aves
                IACOJ Member

Comment

Originally posted by VinnieB
                  Looks like University or Sedwick Aves
                  33 has the front of the fire building, but Im pretty sure Sq 61 is the squad for all of 75/33s boxes....unless of course 61 was unavailable. Im not back in until Monday night. Ill show a guy this video that is in it and see if he remembers..

Comment

Looks like 43 is the 1st due Engine.....I believe L-33 has a few 1st due boxes with E-43, but 59 might have given them the front because it was a top floor job. E-42 looked to be second...and L-27 as the FAST Truck....I am assuming L-49 was an additional truck...again b/c it was a top floor job.
                    IACOJ Member

Comment

July of 05. 1928 University Av. E43 L33 first due. L59 out.

From "the other " site.

Comment

Originally posted by firetruckred
                        LOL.

Si'... La Casa Grande. I have heard of them. : )

Hey Irons.... While I was at Barnes and Nobles tonight I asked them to look up the books recommended. B & N were only able to find "The Bronx is Burning" by Jonathan Mahler. I looked up the books on Amazon.com and did a search with the authors online and had no luck. Maybe my search engine is not good. Do you know where I can get them? Thanks.
                        Thanks for PMing me Irons with those insightful websites. If anyone needs them I'll send them to ya.

Comment

War Years

Firemedic wrote:"Where can I hear more clips like this? Do you know of any other links"

-Unfortunately Tommy's site crashed. He is slowly bringing it back up. The audio portion is working. I submitted clips 2 & 3 there, with more to come from my collection (and other will be sending too). If I only could figure out how to do video, I will put up some of "The Bronx is Burning" BBC from 1972. I'm glad there were guys who saved this stuff at the time,for future generations !!!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X