• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome clip. Thanks for sharing.
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Comment

Originally posted by BruenRescue2003
      no, I'm not stirring the pot. I literally cannot understand alot of what they're saying. I can make out some bits and pieces, but thats about it.
      If interested one can go to Frank Raffas Web site www.fdnewyork.com and scroll down to fdny info. There is much there that will explain what you are hearing.

Comment

As a past fire dispatcher, I can REALLY appreciate those FDNY dispatchers. Awesome clip. Thanks!!!
        Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

The Heydays

Ahhh, what we should all listen to and learn from. Anyone know when and why the city got rid of the 10-30 (smoke showing) signal? It was very common back in war years and is not even listed anymore. Its also too bad the term "forthwith" is not used as much as it used to be. Whatever the case, this stuff is still gold...

Brooklyn: "Any truck availiable in Brownsville, East NY, or Bed-Stuy...(no response)...sorry 40 looks like your nearest truck is coming from Williamsburg"

Bklyn:"152, 158 and 86 ya know how to get out there...make sure everybody stays together over there kay"

Bklyn: The Legend Warren Fusch "All units stand by a second please, I can only talk to one a yas at time now i want 157 and 157 only. Now ladder 157 answer me..."

"Bat 34: I got 3 vacant buildings fully involved and through da roof kay..."
          Brooklyn: you have a 3 and 2 response"

Lad 113: "113 to Bklyn, 10-75 on the Flatbush Box...we need a full first alarm assignment, we have nothing here but a truck..."
          Bklyn: "Ok they are comin 113"

And of course there are the numerous fires reporting people trapped and missing. The dispatchers were amazing, they had to do relocations and assignments by hand back then. Makes you really appreciate the talent and experience of the members and dispatchers.

Comment

Originally posted by Irons6789
            Ahhh, what we should all listen to and learn from. Anyone know when and why the city got rid of the 10-30 (smoke showing) signal? It was very common back in war years and is not even listed anymore. Its also too bad the term "forthwith" is not used as much as it used to be. Whatever the case, this stuff is still gold...

Brooklyn: "Any truck availiable in Brownsville, East NY, or Bed-Stuy...(no response)...sorry 40 looks like your nearest truck is coming from Williamsburg"

Bklyn:"152, 158 and 86 ya know how to get out there...make sure everybody stays together over there kay"

Bklyn: The Legend Warren Fusch "All units stand by a second please, I can only talk to one a yas at time now i want 157 and 157 only. Now ladder 157 answer me..."

"Bat 34: I got 3 vacant buildings fully involved and through da roof kay..."
            Brooklyn: you have a 3 and 2 response"

Lad 113: "113 to Bklyn, 10-75 on the Flatbush Box...we need a full first alarm assignment, we have nothing here but a truck..."
            Bklyn: "Ok they are comin 113"

And of course there are the numerous fires reporting people trapped and missing. The dispatchers were amazing, they had to do relocations and assignments by hand back then. Makes you really appreciate the talent and experience of the members and dispatchers.
            They got rid of the 10-30 signal because if you thought it might be a job, you might as well transmit the 10-75 and get the cavalry coming. Actually heard a Capt. ask for a line on the floor above "forthwith" at a job recently. It caught a lot of people offguard....
            Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

Makes a 20+ run night tour seem like nothing! I miss vacants, when are they coming back? :-) Better yet, we need the scum downtown to listen to this! Then when all these variable rate mortgages start costing 5 times the amount they originally did... The return of Jewish lightning!
              Last edited by jonnyirons; 10-09-2006, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Brooklyn is Burning...

Here We Go Again???

Check it out:

http://nymag.com/realestate/features/21339/

Comment

Brooklyn, Manhattan and Bronx

Listen to these 3 audio clips of the FDNY War Years.

http://www.nycfire.net/node/190

Comment

This is almost as good as chicago's clip of the McCormik Place fire in 1967 and in 1981 or 82 when they got a really bad snow and they were burning like crazy and you get to hear the officers argue with the FAO about upgrading boxes because they are limited as to how high they can go due to rank. I don't have any of the audio but I hope someone else does and will post a link to it.

Comment

I had heard the first and second clip. Amazing and unbelievable.

The third clip made me smile because the first thing you hear is....

"82/31 Battalion 27 Go!" Then you hear the trucks doors close and the Q siren. I just started reading "Reports from Engine 82" a few days ago so it was neat to actually hear the words I am reading. Every time I read those words in the book...it almost like your there...in the house..and can see the action of it all. : )

Comment

Hey red, pay attention to the Box numbers on the audio tape and also while you read. You will hear the same numbers and addresses over and over again in the book and in the audio. Fox and Tiffany (where ONE building had SEVEN second alarms in it over the years), Charlotte and 170th Street (the most pulled box in the city) and all the rest.

Remember these were times when Eng 82 and Eng 85 were in the same house because of the heavy fire duty. They split 1 first due area in half and each saw about 7,000 or 8,000 DIFFERENT jobs in the SAME first due area each year. Same story with 31 Truck and TCU 712 which was only in service in the afternoon and evening (busier times when the kiddies were home from school and had nothing to do but light fires).

Comment

Hey red, pay attention to the Box numbers on the audio tape and also while you read. You will hear the same numbers and addresses over and over again in the book and in the audio. Fox and Tiffany (where ONE building had SEVEN second alarms in it over the years), Charlotte and 170th Street (the most pulled box in the city) and all the rest.

Remember these were times when Eng 82 and Eng 85 were in the same house because of the heavy fire duty. They split 1 first due area in half and each saw about 7,000 or 8,000 DIFFERENT jobs in the SAME first due area each year. Same story with 31 Truck and TCU 712 which was only in service in the afternoon and evening (busier times when the kiddies were home from school and had nothing to do but light fires).
                          Charlotte and 170 is Box 2743.
                          Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

If you plot the boxes out on a map...it really illustrates how many fires were concentrated in an area roughly no more than 2-3 square miles.

http://fdnewyork.com/getbox.asp

FTM-PTB

Comment

Thanks Vinnie

Where can I hear more clips like this? Do you know of any other links?

Comment

Thank you Irons6789...will do. : )

FFFred. I love that website. I have not had the time to read it lately. I forgot you could look up Box numbers on there. Hadn't got that far.There are a few really great websites that help connect everything together. Nice to have one more piece to help put the puzzle together. Amazing. Anymore you can suggest ?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X