Billing for extrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billing for extrication

I need help with my paper. I read a few posts on here, but they are dated back in 2000. I have to write a paper for my fire admin class and I was thinking of writing it on collecting money from insurance companies when extrication is involved. What I need is to find out if some of your departments are billing ins companies for this. Or is any of you would have some good resourses I could look into regarding this. I would love to find ways of increasing revenue for depts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks clk472

do a search .............and for the rest ..we dont bill for that.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

We don't currently bill for extrication, but we have talked about it a considerable amount. With the last round, we ended up with following for a fee structure:

Cars and Trucks under 5,000 lbs GVW --> $300
      Cars and Trucks over 5,000 lbs GVW --> $500
      Semi tractor/Commercial Trucks --> $1,000

Again, our chief did not implement before he left he department, but this is only where we ended up. Administrativly the big push is to come up with extra money by spreading the costs of the service(s) equally among the potential users.

There are a lot of different areas this could touch and a lot of different ideas on how to do this. I personally don't know that there s a fair and equitable way to ever spread the cost over the potenial users. I think the closest we will ever get is to charge for specialized services. We do this today with Haz Mat, which requires special schools, equipment and personnel. One theory is to charge for other specialized services such as extrication.

I'm not sold one way or the other, it would be nice if the elected officals, both local and over on the East Coast, along with the average Joe would just realize that they need to pay an acceptable amount for these services. But when reality sets in, it'll probably easy to bill the insurance company and let them pass it on to the customer.

Sorry I didn't help too much with your original question, but maybe it will give you few ideas for your paper.

Good luck and stay safe,
      DPH

Comment

My old fire department used a company that billed the insurance companies. I don't remember the prices or the company's name.
        NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
        IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Comment

Thanks, much appreciated..clk472

Comment

I work for an insurance company and we do not pay extrication charges- they basically dont fall under any of the coverages on an auto policy. We do hoever consider some haz mat clean up bills.

Comment

Per Illinois State Statue, We bill $125/hr a vehicle and $35/hr a firefighter for responding to incidents of non-district residents. The majority of our billings are for motor vehicle collisions and car fires.

We generally have not had any problems with insurance companies paying these bills, except for the sub-par companies.

Comment

Its possible some states may have statutes for this but PA or SC do not as those are two states I have worked in. The states may say you can charge those amounts but not sure they can tell the companies that it has to be covered.

Comment

Originally posted by MIGCFR49
                  Its possible some states may have statutes for this but PA or SC do not as those are two states I have worked in. The states may say you can charge those amounts but not sure they can tell the companies that it has to be covered.
                  If the authorities call a tow truck to haul off the damaged auto you cover who gets the towing bill? How about for the ambulance that is called to carry your insured driver (or the other victims) to the hospital? To repair any incidental property damage caused by your customer?

Comment

Originally posted by ChristyK
                    I need help with my paper. I read a few posts on here, but they are dated back in 2000. I have to write a paper for my fire admin class and I was thinking of writing it on collecting money from insurance companies when extrication is involved. What I need is to find out if some of your departments are billing ins companies for this. Or is any of you would have some good resourses I could look into regarding this. I would love to find ways of increasing revenue for depts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks clk472
                    Christy please contact me about this either by e-mail or PM.
                    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
                    EVERYONE GOES HOME
                    IACOJ

Comment

The last I heard Dayton (OH) Fire Dept. was charging for accidents. Goto www.iaff136.org and send a letter to one of the union board members. I'm sure they would be willing to help you out.

Comment

http://tinyurl.com/eqyxm
                        IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                        Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                        ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                        RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                        LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                        I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                        "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                        http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

ChristyK:
                          First off; don't make the mistake of billing insurance companies for extrication.
                          You are billing for services rendered at a motor vehicle accident. You are billing people who pay no taxes for your services; in essence, non-residents.
                          And you are billing the vehicle owner/occupant. You state very clearly in your letter that accompanies the bill that they are responsible for the payment of the bill and if they have insurance, to submit it immediately. And be prepared to take them to court for non-payment. When we turn a bill over to the attorney, his fee comes out of whatever he is able to get from them.
                          In Illinois, if a DUI results in an accident, the driver can be assessed a fee of $1000 per responding agency and that is paid before anything else is. In other words, the vehicle is in impound until fee is paid. If he doesn't get his vehicle from impound, then he still owes through the court and will go to jail for non-payment.
                          It isn't perfect, but it works.
                          And yes; in Illinois, we are allowed to assess non-resident fees as set forth by state law.
                          A search of Illinois Legal Compiled Statutes should find it for you.
                          CR
                          Visit www.iacoj.com
                          Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
                          RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

How one of my Departments does it.....

Here is how my Paid-Call Department bills......
                            If the T/C was caused by a Driver that was Under the Influence, we are able to "Cost Recover" for that incident.
                            We charge per hour, per piece of equipment and for each position. I am sure that what we charge is not reasonable in your state, but on the Left Coast where the Cost of Living is a smig higher it's appropriate.
                            Our Department is also a fairly large Department that has it's own Lawyers so that is not such a big hit we have to take.

Hope this gives some light on this subject. Just like all the other subjects here, if it works for you then do it...... if not, then don't.
                            "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

Thank you very much everyone for your input.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X