No announcement yet.

gauged ears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having a metal tube in your ear in the fire service IS a saftey issue.
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Comment

says who? Does your hood not go over it? Does it hinder your equipment? I would think maybe Dep. policy maybe , but not a safety issue.
      ******=================
      ******================
      ******=================
      ******================
      =======================
      =======================
      =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Comment

Try this for example.....Next time you are in an actual hot fire(300-400 degrees), grab your partner by the shoulder and see what he does. My bet is that you are gonna get a pounding by something. That thin layer of air is one of the most important pieces of "gear" you have on. Get rid of the air pocket and you have a 300 degree piece of nomex contacting your skin. It is a saftey issue as is any jewlery. I take my wedding ring off on my way to the station for this reason. I have a friend that has a palm print permently "tattooed"(burned) on his shoulder from a neglegent backup man. They were in a working house fire and it was hot....Spiderwebbing SCBA lens hot....His backup man grabbed him by the sholder and burnt his handprint right into his shoulder. I could care less if you burn your ears or not. Im just telling you the facts Jack. It IS a saftey issue. Use this information as you see fit
        Buck
        Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Comment

This topic is just ridiculous. This guy wants to put huge holes in his ear and yet he expects to be hired as a fulltime firefighter. Well I'll tell you what, he would NEVER get hired where I work. Sorry, just not going to happen.

Frankly I am tired of people who fail to understand the meaning of looking professional. I am all for individual freedom but you have to understand that you may have to give up looking like a circus freak to get the job you want.

My 16 year old son was looking for a job this past summer and having no success. I finally sat him down and said you know why you aren't getting hired? He said no and I said comb your hair, shave, put on some decent clothes and a nice clean shirt. Hell I know you and I wouldn't hire you the way you go into places applying for a job. He says that discrimination, I said prove that I hired that other 16 year old kid over you because of your clothes and the way you look. That is the real world.

I understand that some of you are saying geez what a grouchy old guy. Nope just a guy who doesn't want his waitress bringing him food with 48 piercings all over her face and pink hair. Just a guy who wants the kid at the grocery store to look like he works there not just stepped off a hip hop video. Just a guy who wants that EMT to look professional and not like something out of Friday the 13th. Old school? Of course. And unashamed about it.

FyredUp
          Crazy, but that's how it goes
          Millions of people living as foes
          Maybe it's not too late
          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

If you say so JACK . I have been in enough fires with jewelry on that was covered with gear and never had a problem. I hate to tell you that if it was to get to the point ("Spider webbing scba lens hot") that your friend placing his hand on your turnouts get you burned then don't walk or move or bump into a wall because you will get the same effect. Either way your story still does not validate your point anyhow.
            ******=================
            ******================
            ******=================
            ******================
            =======================
            =======================
            =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Comment

Originally posted by BFDNJFF
              If you say so JACK . I have been in enough fires with jewelry on that was covered with gear and never had a problem. I hate to tell you that if it was to get to the point ("Spider webbing scba lens hot") that your friend placing his hand on your turnouts get you burned then don't walk or move or bump into a wall because you will get the same effect. Either way your story still does not validate your point anyhow.
              frmboy is right... and that's the fact, jack!
              ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
              Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

When my ship got underway,or did any evolution requiring us to handle lines or work with another ship in close proximity like refuelling,we'd have a safety briefing that started off"No watches,rings or jewelry......".
                We made sure to take off all of the mentioned items due to the risk of them geting caught by a line or cable and ripping the attached body part off.
                Having a Chief Bosun who'd had an ear ripped off when refuelling his last aircraft carrier was a constant reminder to make sure we weren't at even more risk than we already were.(I never heard the exact story but jewelry wasn't involved.)
                I am assuming that you are trying to get hired.I'd advise not wearing the stuff during the application phase and NOT wearing it on duty.Cover up any tattoos that you can for this phase.In the first case,you are trying to present yourself in the best light as possible and as mentioned by older more wiser posters,there are a lot of people that don't see excessive and exotic body adornments as having a place in the fire service.
                On a safety note,you can have them torn off during operations and if the tones drop,you should be putting things on before rolling instead of taking things off.There is an NFPA standard for response time and you don't want to be slowing your team down.

Comment

Oh Me! Lets see if we can keep this going until the first of the year!
                  OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
                  343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Comment

Originally posted by Frmboybuck
                    I have a friend that has a palm print permently "tattooed"(burned) on his shoulder from a neglegent backup man. They were in a working house fire and it was hot....Spiderwebbing SCBA lens hot....His backup man grabbed him by the sholder and burnt his handprint right into his shoulder.
                    How badly burned were his knees?
                    sigpic

Comment

How badly burned were his knees?
                      Or his hands?
                      Or the top of his mellon where his lid rides?
                      Or his twig & berries?
                      Or where his mask seats on his face?

Don't get me wrong, I run a business as well as being a firefighter. If someone doesn't come looking like they WANT the job, let alone present themselves in a professional manner, they WILL NOT get a job working for my company.
                      I can hire someone because they come in looking professional as opposed to someone with nose-rings and tattoos and wierd colored hair and shorts or skirts WAY too short! It is because the other people that come in with shirts & ties or dresses or even dressed NICELY present themselves better. I pay more attention to what they have to say then thier appearance.

Just me!
                      *Mark
                      FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

we have a term in my FD for people who just won't listen....

cementheads.

One I liked was Del, Don't even listen

Comment

Originally posted by BFDNJFF

Like I said...Use the information as you see fit. You're right bumping into a wall will do the same thing. My point is that metal tube in your ear is going to be the first thing to get hot if you get into trouble. My point has been validated but you dont want to seem to believe the facts. You dont believe me?? Try it sometime. The hand print was the only mark left on him besides a few small steam burns. It was about 100-150 degrees hotter at his shoulders than at his knees .
                          Buck
                          Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...