gauged ears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcfd45
    yes, when i get on a department i WILL come back here and tell you guys that i did. then you will surrender your brains to me. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hh
    J

Okie Dokie... we will all be here waiting. But getting on and staying on are two different things!
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Comment

I am considering gauging my ears. Do any departments have policies on this? It is not goig to be more then a quarter inch hole. Any advice on it would be appreciated.
      J
      i have my ears gauged.
      i had one side at a 00 and i never gauged the other to the other side.. that only got to 8 gauge

i stopped gauging because the 00 was getting infected all the time.
      i took them out about 1 month ago.
      they are closing up, slowly but surely.

i took them off on my own decision but my chief did notice and did mention that he much perfers no ear rings.
      i would of gladly taken them out if he had asked me too.

i say don't do it.
      if you plan on doing it non professional thats even more reason not to do it.

they are a hassle to maintain.
      even after cleaning everyday infections still occur
      so better not to have them.
      i miss them a bit
      but i do not regret removing them

tatoos are cooler anyways

Comment

Originally posted by Frmboybuck
        Not sure if anyone mentioned it or not but it is obvious that you have never been in a HOT fire. If you have you would know that little piece of iron you want to put in your ear is an excellent conductor of heat. You will cook your ear from the inside out....
        just like to add this is another factor that led to me leaving them out permenatly

Comment

My opinion:

I don't think "gauged ears" look very professional.

My questions:

1. Are you still considering this action after the responses you have received?

2. If so, why?

Comment

Can someone please gauge this thread already?

Comment

First the ears, then the Prince Albert. Go for it, Son.

Comment

Obviously this is some type of attention thing going on. This guy is already talking about mid-life crisis. Yep he'd be the talk of the town here if he got through all the testing and I know what they are going to say..........but hey not that there's a problem with that................

Comment

Ill never understand you city boys...
                  -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
                  -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Comment

I've been a volunteer for 5 years. In highschool I pierced my tongue. My dept never told me to take it out. I kept it through college. After college I decided to start testing for a career dept. 6 months before the first test date, I pulled the tongue ring, started running every day, lifted weights, and studied for the written tests. I bought books. I practice interviewed with my volley officers. For 6 months my life revolved around doing whatever it took to get the job.

I didn't get the job.

Don't think for one minute that I regret anything I did. I don't think I wasted my time. I don't miss the tongue ring. If I had not done any of those things I mentioned, I would always wonder if that is what lost the job for me. Why would you want to do that to yourself?

There will be many factors you can't control that will dictate if you do or don't get the job. Why would you even take a second thought about one of the FEW factors you can control that could affect your hiring??????

You will be up against people who did as I did. While you are getting your freak on, they will be getting their "prepare" on. One of them will get the job.

And FYI: I take offense that you treat it as something you can do when and if you want. You are terribly mistaken.
                    St. Albans Town Fire Department
                    Engine Co. No. 1

Comment

Interesting thread. I am a volunteer firefighter and take is very seriously. Also, in my day job I am a professional (engineer) with a Ph.D. During my work and as a volunteer firefighter, I am a professional. Also, I have gauged ears, about 3/4 inches. I can't explain exactly why I did it, I started the process some years back and it is sort of an addiction. Healthier than alcohol or drugs, and certainly cheaper than gambling. Yes, it does draw attention to me at times, but I'm the type that appreciates that. I don't think it is a big deal, and those around me don't either. You can always wear solid plugs when you want to appear more conservative. With regards to being considered a slacker, or being considered less professional by others, remember that is an opinion based on other's misconceptions. It used to be that African Americans were considered less professional, women were less professional, and so on.
                      Clearly, if there were safety issue, I'd be against it as well, but I have found no safety problems and no health problems, provided they are healed.
                      And about the hot fire issue -- if it is so hot under your hood to heat up the plug, the rest of your ear and head are cooking already. It is not extending outside the hood, so conduction is a non-issue.

Comment

Originally posted by firenresq77
                        The more this thread goes on, the more I'm thinking this is just someone trying to stir the stuff in here.
                        The sad thing is, he's proably not trying to stir things up....this is just another example of what is wrong with many (certainly not all) of today's younger generation..... It's all about me, me, me and "I'm entitled to this"

Just look around you and see all the freak shows wandering around.... I'm all for indiviuality and kids trying to be independant, but not too long ago you did that by decking out your car, or something like that.... not marking yourself up like some damn ice cream delivery truck.... Kid's used to rebel by sneaking out to skinny dip, now it's black yourself up with some goth crap, pierce yourself with more metal than an A-bomb and throw on pants that wouldn't fit a 600lb man......then these same kids can figure out why they're stuck as lifers at Sam-Goody's and no one will look twice at them for a professional job...... Good Grief.... Mr. I wanna gouge my ears....... maybe Ringling Brothers Circus is looking for someone to put out fires in the elephant trailer, but unless you can conform to at least a semblence of public standards, don't be expecting a job in a professional firehouse....cripes

Comment

I am considering gauging my ears. Do any departments have policies on this? It is not goig to be more then a quarter inch hole. Any advice on it would be appreciated.
                          J
                          First - what the heck are you talking about- having your ears lowered or removed or what??? If you are thinking about earrings - the fire service is not real keen on that - for alot of reasons !!

Comment

Originally posted by brethourj
                            And about the hot fire issue -- if it is so hot under your hood to heat up the plug, the rest of your ear and head are cooking already. It is not extending outside the hood, so conduction is a non-issue.
                            Next time you are in a hot fire, reach up and touch your ear through your hood and then tell me conduction is a "non-issue"
                            Buck
                            Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Comment

Originally posted by FirstDueCTVol
                              First - what the heck are you talking about- having your ears lowered or removed or what??? If you are thinking about earrings - the fire service is not real keen on that - for alot of reasons !!
                              FirstDue... look up guaged earrings on Google Images. You'll get a good idea there!

Just wondering... mcfd45... have you gone out and guaged your career.. I mean ears.. yet?
                              Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

IMHO its 2006 people need lighten up and realize society is changing. Whether a person has tattoos , blue hair or peircings does not make a person any different and I see no wrong with it unless it hinders job safety. I have tattoos on my forearms and have been hired as a fireman (left for better pay) and presently as LEO. So time to move on and just except it.
                                ******=================
                                ******================
                                ******=================
                                ******================
                                =======================
                                =======================
                                =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250