gauged ears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SAFD46Truck
    Then again, are you sure this is really what you want to do with your life?
    yes, when i get on a department i WILL come back here and tell you guys that i did. then you will surrender your brains to me. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hh
    J
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfd45
      yes, when i get on a department i WILL come back here and tell you guys that i did. then you will surrender your brains to me. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hh
      J
      Personally, I can't see you making it past a psych test, let alone an interview, so it really doesn't matter much what you do to yourself.

Rock on buddy! ...And yes, I do want fries with that!

Kevin
      Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
      IAFF Local 2339
      K of C 4th Degree
      "LEATHER FOREVER"
      Member I.A.C.O.J.
      http://www.tfdfire.com/
      "Fir na tine"

Comment

Kid, Get a life. Firefighting isn't cut out for you or folks with you mind thinking. We already have enough idoits that was forced upon us by the eeo/ac and those that are making their line time goal to bring down the fire department in this nation. We really don't need any more clowns in the fire service. We have enough already.

Do us a favor and join the miltary and let them kick some sense into your empty head and leave the firefighting to those whom are called Firefighters and not numbskulls!!

In either way, I really don't care what you are thinking that you would like to be when you grow up, as long as you aren't any where near me or the large East Coast department that I am a member of.

Get along kid and leave us alone.
        OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
        343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Comment

Just something else to consider... when/if you finally decide to join a department, you will be connected to and/or representing that department whether you are ON duty or OFF duty. If you do something stupid while you're off-duty and it receives media attention, they will "eat up" the fact that you are a firefighter at ________ Fire Department. Just look at the front page of Firehouse.com, what do you see? "FDNY FF Steal N.J. Fire Truck, Gets DUI." Notice, it says NOTHING in the title about the fact that he was OFF duty, but it does identify the Fire Department he is associated with. Just something else to think about... (not necessarily directed at anyone particular)
          Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

it is just something to do i guess.
            J
            This quote speaks volumes to me beyond the point about gauging the ears: if are the the kind of individual that would do something to his or her body "just because it's something to do" how as a company officer am I supposed to trust you with me on a hoseline? What if we're in the middle of the bad stuff and you decide the fire service was "just something to do" and you rabbit and leave the rest of the crew twisting in the wind? Would you pick up a downed power line to see if it's live "just because you guessed it was something to do"? Do us a favor and go find something to do that other people's lives don't hinge on until you grow up..IF you grow up.

Comment

The more this thread goes on, the more I'm thinking this is just someone trying to stir the stuff in here............. Maybe someone thought things were to boring in here or something.......
              The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
              We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
              IACOJ

Comment

Well I think the reason i want to do this is that when i do get on a FD i will have to act the part.
                Being a firefighter isn't "acting".. it's doing the job..period!

i do not plan on getting on for at least 2 years. don't get me wrong i understand interview boards rip you to pieces if you bring attention to yourself. so i figure i got 2 years to get my freak on and still be an eccentric and wild and wahtnot because in 2 years i will have to do a lot of growing up in a short amount of time. so my view is it is better to do it now and get it out of the way.
                Whoop de fracking doo. Your competition is out there right now working out, studying and taking advantage of the mentoring being given by firefighters, because they value "getting the job" more than "gettting their freak on". They will be grown up when you finally realize that you seriously fracked up!

by the way i am only going for about a 4mm hole that will close in about 2 months. so ifigur when my medic class is winding down i will take out my rings and put them in my desk drawer, and save them for when i am 45 and having that whole mid life crisis thing.
                J
                Remember... you will have to do clinical time at a hospital and ride time in a bone box to become a medic. You will have to "look and be professional." With your "freak on" you just might be mistaken for one of the patients!

By all means... if you value your freak over the job.. go ahead...gauge yourself out of a career. We won't miss you at all...
                ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

mcfd45,

Are you already a volunteer firefighter somewhere? If you are, do they actually allow this type of thing?

I couldn't imagine being at the firehouse, having someone from the public come in for something, and having one of our guys sitting there with guages in his ears. Or worse, having the guages out, and having the "plugs" in the holes which in my opinion I think looks worse.

Career or volunteer, firefighters have a certain image that we need to portray, and this is not part of it.
                  Chris Shields
                  Lieutenant / EMT
                  Haz-Mat Technician
                  East Syracuse Fire Dept
                  Onondaga County, NY

Comment

What a wonderful idea. Why didn't somebody think of this sooner. Maybe we could use you for an Accountability Officer. We can click our tags into your head. If you are really serious about gettign your ears gauged, why not got a big nose ring too. This way if you go on technical rescues we can click a carabiner into your face. There is no limit to the possibilities of these ideas. Good luck with your interviews.....You'll probably have many before somebody actually hires you.

Comment

Wheel Chock.

Its about the only job you would get in a Brigade down here.
                      Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
                      Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

go ahead, do it.

I can guarantee you won't get hired on a department around here.

Nothing personal, doesn't make you a bad person or anything, just unprofessional looking.

I'm sure McDonalds is hiring..........
                        Jason Knecht
                        Firefighter/EMT
                        Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                        Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                        http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                        EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Well I think the reason i want to do this is that when i do get on a FD i will have to act the part.
                          I apologize, but I am taking serious issue with this statement. There is no "Acting the Part". One of the biggest things involved in this field is the sheer sense of pride and professionalism that comes with helping people in need, and if you are "acting the part" you should not be involved in the field.

In addition, comraderary is absolutely HUGE in this field and even if you did get all the way through class and training I think you would feel the impacts at the firehouse.

Having said that, I would imagine I might be a little closer to your age, (not saying that others don't understand) but you may be thinking to yourself, well everyone here is older and doesn't understand. While I am younger, and do understand the "interest" in being wild and attracting attention to yourself, you are about to enter a field where the people around you have to judge you based on character and professionalism. In addition the people hiring you, are going to be older and "may not understand" nor want/need to take the time to understand your "individualism".

It is in your best interest to think about getting whatever it is you need to do to yourself out of your system, so that when you finally do make the decision to go forward with this career, it is the true you and not some "actor playing a part"....

Comment

Not sure if anyone mentioned it or not but it is obvious that you have never been in a HOT fire. If you have you would know that little piece of iron you want to put in your ear is an excellent conductor of heat. You will cook your ear from the inside out....
                            Buck
                            Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Comment

Originally posted by Frmboybuck
                              Not sure if anyone mentioned it or not but it is obvious that you have never been in a HOT fire. If you have you would know that little piece of iron you want to put in your ear is an excellent conductor of heat. You will cook your ear from the inside out....
                              I smell bacon.

Who's cooking the bacon?!
                              Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
                              IAFF Local 2339
                              K of C 4th Degree
                              "LEATHER FOREVER"
                              Member I.A.C.O.J.
                              http://www.tfdfire.com/
                              "Fir na tine"

Comment

J
                                Your only hope might be that we surrender our brains to you. With all due respect, you'll certainly NEED the brains.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X