No announcement yet.

gauged ears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am an eccentric so i like off the wall type stuff. please don't judge what i want to do.
    J
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

Well, I have to agree with my friend Cap'n Gonz. Why do you want to have holes punched in to ear lobes anyhow? Are you a female? Guess I am from the old school.

You don't say how old you are. If I was on the interview panel and I have been on many, I wold see it ear rings but would "gauge" my thoughts on how you answered the questions set forth. Plus how well you were attired. Not saying you need to have a tux on but a nice pleasant busniess suit.

You say you play to get ear rings that are in the 6 to 8 gauge range. If I am not mistaken that would be a larger type rings. Maybe like a shower curtin ring!

Don't draw any unpleasant attention to you self. Leave the ear rings at home along with the long briaded hair and don't forget to be clean shaven, that counts a lot.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer

Don't draw any unpleasant attention to you self. Leave the ear rings at home along with the long briaded hair and don't forget to be clean shaven, that counts a lot.

I am 19 and i am bald. when i go to an interview i will wear a suit like everyone else. i will take out my rings. i want to know if there s an nfpa stanard on this maybe?
        J
        It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfd45
          I am 19 and i am bald. when i go to an interview i will wear a suit like everyone else. i will take out my rings. i want to know if there s an nfpa stanard on this maybe?
          J
          There's no NFPA standard for looking like complete oddball.
          ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

So basically, you want something like this?!

**Please note, that is a 7/8" gauge, not a 6 or 8.**

Personally, I would not do ANYTHING that might portray your appearance in a negative way. A FD wants to hire someone that they are confident will represent the entire Department in a positive way.
            Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

i am an eccentric so i like off the wall type stuff. please don't judge what i want to do.
              J

We don't judge. But we sure as heck aren't going to end up working with you. Do what you want, there probably will be ramifications.
              IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Comment

I go by the rule of - "If your uniform won't cover it, it's probably not a good idea".

That goes for odd haircuts/colors, tattoos, piercings, and fingernail polish. (yes I've seen it).
                If you really want to stand out, why don't you do it by being a smart, fit, well motivated firefighter instead of one with just a lot of "window dressing?". I'd say this is just my opinion, but I know a LOT of other firefighters that feel the same.

Comment

J
                  Oh, I won't judge what you do. Do what ever makes you happy. But if you are going to be "eccentric" or "off the wall" then get a tattoo that says "don't hire me" to go along with your other off the wall ideas. You might get away with it in a big city where there are no interviews, but I doubt that if you go for a face to face interview that the interviewers will be too impressed with your "individuality". Why don't you focus more on getting a job than on being "eccentric" because while I may not judge you - the hiring board sure as hell will.
                  I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

If you go ahead and do this anyways, even after you can see that most of us are telling you that it might be a better idea not to, why did you even ask our opinion?

If you do get hired, PLEASE let us know what department hired you. I don't care if you take them out and put "plugs" in them, it looks unprofessional and you already know this because you wouldn't be asking if you didn't.

If this is so important to you, go get a job at Hot Topic.

Sorry to be so blunt. You asked, sometimes the truth needs to be blunt.
                    Chris Shields
                    Lieutenant / EMT
                    Haz-Mat Technician
                    East Syracuse Fire Dept
                    Onondaga County, NY

Comment

I will just live on the edge and ask what it is this person wants to do ? I take it it is not just a piercing ?
                      IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                      Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                      ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                      RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                      LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                      I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                      "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                      http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Originally posted by Weruj1
                        I will just live on the edge and ask what it is this person wants to do ? I take it it is not just a piercing ?
                        Photo in post #20 should explain it all.
                        I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Even if you make it in you will rode hard and put away wet. A probie that shows up looking like that will be made fun of. We have a contract guy with pierced nipples and he hears about it every day.
                          We would just as soon get rid of him, but that is on his other traits not just the piercing.

If you want to do something, join the Army. They will keep you busy and prepair you for the fireservice.

Comment

Originally posted by ADSNWFLD
                            Even if you make it in you will rode hard and put away wet. A probie that shows up looking like that will be made fun of.
                            Damn skippy! Hell, he's being made fun of already!

It's obvious that you're not serious about a career as a professional firefighter! If you were, this question would have never even been asked!

Come back and apply once you get your priorities straight. Until then, why not go ahead and get a nose ring and pierce your eyebrows too.
                            There are thousands of guys that will gladly forego a piercing or two to take your place in a department...Your (potential) department.

Kevin
                            Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
                            IAFF Local 2339
                            K of C 4th Degree
                            "LEATHER FOREVER"
                            Member I.A.C.O.J.
                            http://www.tfdfire.com/
                            "Fir na tine"

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoFF
                              Photo in post #20 should explain it all.
                              The picture does not show for me ............thats why I asked.
                              IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                              Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                              ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                              RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                              LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                              I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                              "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                              http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Originally posted by Weruj1
                                The picture does not show for me ............thats why I asked.
                                I think the pic was pulled or something...........

It's where they put big ole holes in their ear and put a metal ring in there to keep it open......... Looks like a grommet in the ear.....
                                The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
                                We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
                                IACOJ

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X