No announcement yet.

Looking for Grants for a Radio Repeater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not have a lot of Kenwood experience, but tons of Motorola and ICOM experience.

I am impressed with the ICOM product. (It has taken many years for me to finally go with that - after being with M for so long)

I pretty much agree with the concept that you unless you need the high power continuous duty system, you can use the more inexpensive ones with no problem.

Now, as to duct taping radios together... What can your department afford? If all you can afford is a GR300 style system, then add a fan to the PA, set the TOT, and rock and roll. Areas not to scrimp are the ANTENNA and HARDLINE. Get that DB 224 antenna for $400.00 and not the Hustler antenna for $75.00. 20 years from now, that DB antenna will still be working great, while the hustler has been replaced 8 times. Get a pro to install it. Just simple things like how you weatherproof your connectors make all the difference in the world.

Use high quality hardline. RG8 from Radio Shack just does not cut it. It will cost more, but it will make such a difference.

Power vs Tower. The Tower WINS! What that means, is height is very important. 50 watts versus 100 watts will give you some gain, but 100 feet higher elevation will give you much more range, in most cases.

Comment

Dont forget about what band youre using. Higher the frequency the more expensive the cables and the duplexers! And the original poster stated its just to get out farther, they were using a fireground channel already.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X