Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retiree Health Benefits?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Retiree Health Benefits?

    Well this is a topic some are interested in around our department.
    So it got me wondering, about other departments.

    What kind of coverage are you receiving for health insurance when you retire?
    How long have you had that coverage, when did the contract go through?
    Are old members still in your group or seperate?
    Would full health coverage affect your length of service and by how much?

  • #2
    I left my old dept. for this very reason. We had NO HEALTH COVERAGE after retirement. What this does is force members to work until they can't any more. Which gives you a dept. full of old guys with 30 - 40 years on who are waiting for medicare.
    I tell young guys who are testing to look at who's on the line in the dept. they are testing for and it will tell you alot about that dept. If there are many old guys it tells you that they are not retiring for some reason. Maybe the pension sucks or there is no health care or both. My old dept. has 3 guys with over 40 years on. They can't afford to leave.
    My current dept. only has a handful of guys with over 20 years. Why? Good benefits! We have health care for the member and their partner in life for as long as they live. Great pension and a 457k plan if you choose to participate. Many guys and gals in my dept. stay 20 - 29 years. It's very rare they stay longer than that because they max out their benefits at 30 years. We have a very young dept. which is good for the dept. and the community.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

    Comment


    • #3
      If I recall, of the two career departments I worked for one had nothing in the contract for retirees, but the city provided insurance at 50%.

      The second department had a clause in their contract that included retirees, where the insurance was continued for the member and the spouse (if they were already covered at the time of retirement) until both died at 75%.

      If the member got married after retiring, they could not cover a new spouse, but if they were married when they retired, the spouse was covered until their death or divorcement.

      Figure if you put in that amount of time to the town and to the local, you ought to be covered by a contractual clause. Especially since the towns are cheap, and would sell out their mothers to save a nickel.
      "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

      The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

      "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

      "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

      www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

      Comment


      • #4
        That is a problem for us as well. Retirees can stay on our insurance, but they have to pay the full premium. There is a program out there for post-employment health coverage that would cover some if not all the premium.

        We tried to get this for our contract that starts Oct 1, but the department wouldnt go for it this year. It will be our main point next year.

        The way it was explained too me is its like other defered comp type plans. The employer puts money into an account for each employee with the funds (tax free) allocated for health care on retirement. How much the employer contributes varies. Ours was going too be 1% of top FF salery per year.
        Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

        IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

        "No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
        RUSH-Tom Sawyer

        Success is when skill meets opportunity
        Failure is when fantasy meets reality

        Comment


        • #5
          I just retired from my fire department and the health insurance for retirees is provided by the state, just like the pension check.

          I had pretty good insurance while on the job and the retirement insurance is just as good and just as cheap (free for the family plan).

          This is in Kentucky and most fire departments are in the state retirement system.

          Comment


          • #6
            So out of pocket for a single what are your guys paying?

            Comment


            • #7
              We have a fund that has been built for this specific reason.We gave up a couple of 1/2% raises to go to it. When you retire insurance for single is $330 with a spouse $550. The fund pays $250 a month toward your insurance. It was just a $125 a few years ago,but the fund has been growing well so we voted to bump it up. This goes back and picks up the old and new retirees.

              Comment


              • #8
                Our retiree premiums are based on the number of sick days you have on the books the day you retire. We earn 7 sick days per year, and I believe that 160 sick days on the books will get 95% of your premium paid. So if you’re fortunate to never suffer a serious off-duty injury, and you don’t burn your sick days, you can pay less for your health insurance retired, than while still working.

                Comment


                • #9
                  We get no health insurance upon retirement.

                  We have a 401K pension plan, with a 457 supplement. You vest at 5 years, retire when you want. You just better make sure you have enough in your plan to pay for you and your dependents health care, when you retire the city severs ALL ties with you (I have about $90K after 7 years). We have guys retire with 35-40 years on and they don't even show up for their party, they disappear and are never to be seen or heard from again lol.

                  What about health care while still on track. Our guys pay about $6,000 a year for family, I pay about $500 a year for individual coverage.

                  I believe our city will cease health care coverage soon and provide a health care fund that they contribute to along with the employee in the next few years. Every year premiums go up 20-30% and coverage goes down, every year. At some point you are paying alot for not much. Discuss.............

                  Oh yeah, they want to decrease our staff by 3 FF's and buy a fire engine with a stretcher in the back because fire trucks don't make money and ambulances do! Discuss........
                  Last edited by FHandz15; 09-20-2006, 02:41 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by FHandz15
                    We get no health insurance upon retirement.

                    We have a 401K pension plan, with a 457 supplement. You vest at 5 years, retire when you want. You just better make sure you have enough in your plan to pay for you and your dependents health care, when you retire the city severs ALL ties with you (I have about $90K after 7 years). We have guys retire with 35-40 years on and they don't even show up for their party, they disappear and are never to be seen or heard from again lol.

                    What about health care while still on track. Our guys pay about $6,000 a year for family, I pay about $500 a year for individual coverage.

                    I believe our city will cease health care coverage soon and provide a health care fund that they contribute to along with the employee in the next few years. Every year premiums go up 20-30% and coverage goes down, every year. At some point you are paying alot for not much. Discuss.............

                    Oh yeah, they want to decrease our staff by 3 FF's and buy a fire engine with a stretcher in the back because fire trucks don't make money and ambulances do! Discuss........
                    $6000 a year for family, GOOD LORD!! That comes to $500 bucks a month, that is robbery!!

                    Anyone else have a different program, this is interesting how different across the board this is.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by KCFireguy
                      $6000 a year for family, GOOD LORD!! That comes to $500 bucks a month, that is robbery!!

                      Anyone else have a different program, this is interesting how different across the board this is.

                      That does seem a bit high. Then again, I pay $170.00 a check ($340 per month) for my family coverage and thats only 25% of the total monthly premium. The department picks up the other 75%.
                      Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

                      IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

                      "No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
                      RUSH-Tom Sawyer

                      Success is when skill meets opportunity
                      Failure is when fantasy meets reality

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by KCFireguy
                        Well this is a topic some are interested in around our department.
                        So it got me wondering, about other departments.

                        What kind of coverage are you receiving for health insurance when you retire?
                        Depends on your plan as the city offers about 3 or 4 to choose from.

                        For expample GHI I think to us has the following deductable. $200 Individual, $500 Family

                        $1500 max out of pocket costs.

                        Doctor visit Copay $15, Surgeon copay $20. In patient hospitalization deductable $300/750 total per person per year.

                        How long have you had that coverage, when did the contract go through?
                        Not sure on the duration of how long we've had those benefits
                        Are old members still in your group or seperate?
                        Not sure what you are asking here.

                        Would full health coverage affect your length of service and by how much?
                        Also not sure at what you are asking.

                        FTM-PTB

                        Comment

                        300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                        Collapse

                        Upper 300x250

                        Collapse

                        Taboola

                        Collapse

                        Leader

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X