Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you wear under your bunker pants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you wear under your bunker pants?

This might seem like a dumb question to some but i'm a probie out in Nevada who was a Reserve FF in California. MOST where I came from would just wear shorts or boxers under your bunker pants. The new department i'm at all wear full pants underneath there bunker gear. I now wear full pants under my bunker pants as well and am adjusting to the change. But they all thought it was "weird" or "funny" that I just wore shorts or boxers underneath my bunker pants.

What do you guys think and how do the majority of your firefighters dress down?

whenever possible i wear long pants.

had bad experiences wearing shorts under bunkers.

Comment

This is a very personal question.....

I tend to put on my bunker pants on over the pair of pants I am already wearing for the day.
      You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Comment

Commando style baby!!!

j/k...that certainly wouldn't be very comfortable. Usually a pair of jeans or dickies for me.
        Tom Warshaw
        Station 13 (Bethel)
        Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Comment

Nothing!! - Sorry, couldn't resist.

Whatever I have on at the moment the call comes in, jeans, shorts, dress pants, etc.

I think it is more important in the summer if you wear sandals, to have socks by your boots. Went sockless one time, really ripped up the feet.

Comment

as Bill Murray said " I prefer a low rise bikini, preferrable mesh"...

Actually other than the three months of warm weather we get a year it's usually jeans. Shorts if I have them on but the majority of the time even in the summer it's jeans.

Larry
            darn proud of my pasty white legs

Comment

How about "Legs"? But seriously, either uniform pants (here in FX Co) or would have been jeans back in the Old Country. I always had a long pair of pants or sweat pants in my locker back home because I never really liked crawling around while wearing shorts in summer. Too hard on the knees that are already "shot".
              If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Done the boxers thing before... Made the mistake of doing it in winter too.
                Originally posted by ThNozzleMan
                Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
                FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by BKDRAFT
                  This might seem like a dumb question to some but i'm a probie out in Nevada who was a Reserve FF in California. MOST where I came from would just wear shorts or boxers under your bunker pants. The new department i'm at all wear full pants underneath there bunker gear. I now wear full pants under my bunker pants as well and am adjusting to the change. But they all thought it was "weird" or "funny" that I just wore shorts or boxers underneath my bunker pants.

What do you guys think and how do the majority of your firefighters dress down?
                  OK, so now I'm curious.

Nothing too graphic please, I'm going to assume you guys didn't walk around the station in your boxers, at least i would hope not. So when you get a call you all rip your pants off before gearing up?
                  That must be kinda funny to watch.
                  Imagine doing a ride along and seeing that. That would be enough to scare anyone away from the fire service.

Comment

At my career FD I wear my Dickie uniform pants during the "work day" and during down time I usually have on work out shorts and wear those. If we have a nightime call it is workout shorts. Year round this what I wear. never been cold with shorts on even in the delightful Wisconsin winter.

At my volly FD it's whatever I have on when the tones hit.

As for the sock thing....rubber boots wear socks....with the leathers if I have been caught in the shower when the call comes in I have gone without socks with no discomfort.

As for your new FD...Is the pants thing a rule or just a passed down tradition? If it's a rule then so be it, if not, after probation wear what is comfortable to you.

Fyredup
                    Crazy, but that's how it goes
                    Millions of people living as foes
                    Maybe it's not too late
                    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Long pants, Had shorts once and got a very small burn on lower leg. Plus the long pants dont ride up.
                      FF I
                      FF II
                      Hazmat Operations
                      EMT-B
                      ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Comment

---Clothes
                        Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
                        (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Comment

[QUOTE=FyredUp]At my career FD I wear my Dickie uniform pants during the "work day" and during down time I usually have on work out shorts and wear those. If we have a nightime call it is workout shorts. Year round this what I wear. never been cold with shorts on even in the delightful Wisconsin winter.

At my volly FD it's whatever I have on when the tones hit.

As for the sock thing....rubber boots wear socks....with the leathers if I have been caught in the shower when the call comes in I have gone without socks with no discomfort.

As for your new FD...Is the pants thing a rule or just a passed down tradition? If it's a rule then so be it, if not, after probation wear what is comfortable to you.

Fyred must have read my mind.

Career Dept - Warm months = Navy shorts during the day and gym shorts of a night.

Cold months - Dickies pants during the day and gym shorts or cotton PJ pants at night. I've never been cold while wearing shorts. Nothing is bad as putting your helmet and coat back on in the winter after taking it off to cool down. Ouch, that hurts.

Vollie Dept. - Whatever I have on. If I have jeans on I take them off and boxers it is! Just remember to keep your bunkers up during rehab.

"Nothing too graphic please, I'm going to assume you guys didn't walk around the station in your boxers, at least i would hope not."

I guess my career crew is weird. After 17:00 the station is our house, unless something is prearranged with a PR detail, we wear whatever. This includes, pants, shorts, boxers, or mopheads and a belt when new pukes (recruits) are around. If females are present we use caution with our evening wear. Our crew area is upstairs so if visitors show up we have time to put shorts on.

Comment

Welllll ... let's hope you guys wear your Dickies inside your bunker pants.

Back in '69 when bunkers were really just coming into style and most departments still used the old roll-up boots, we had a call at around 3 am one cold winter night that ended up embarressing the crap out of one of our Lieutenants.
                            He lived just down the street from one of our stations and when the engine came by, it slowed down for him to hop up into the jump seat.
                            When the fire was out and we were back at the station, all the guys pulled their coats and boots off and packed them back onto the engine ... everyone but the lieutenant. When asked about it he got red and replied that he couldn't take them off. When pressed about it he opened the front of the old canvas duck coat and all the guys roared. He had climbed out of bed and run out into the street (at 5 above zero), and hopped on the engine with just his socks and boxers on.
                            Last edited by Driver76; 09-18-2006, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advise. I keep my Dickies well protected by high cut pants, zipper, safety snap, and large overlap PBI secured with velcro. With all of the bunker material it is actually hard to get your Dickies out in the cold weather. The shrinkage factor of Dickies (pants) is enormous, because of the cotton blend, in the winter. Another problem during winter firefighting operations is managing your PEE CAN. The stream really suffers!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X