Live Burn Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Burn Help

I was wondering if anyone had pics or ideas on a live burn prop of a room and contents fire...our fp man wants us to build a room outside of our station for a demo fire of trash can, couch, chair etc...to show the public at our open house this year along with our extinguisher demo....just looking for any ideas or photos....thanks a lot...Stay Safe!!

Well, here's a "what not to do"

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com...ningMishap.wmv

Comment

Originally posted by E229Lt
      That incident popped into my head too. Couldn't find the link fast enough though...you beat me to it. Guess that's one of many reasons why you're a Lt and I'm just a probie.

Comment

I'm sorry but you just can't fix stupid.
        Jason Knecht
        Firefighter/EMT
        Township Fire Dept., Inc.
        Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
        http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
        EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Yeah, Ive seen that before...fortunately, I've been a 1403 burn instructor for 8 years now and where God didnt bless me with an abundence of beauty, he did give me tad more than a ioda of common sense, lol, so...that aint gonna happen here...Thanks anyway.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rBi3OGID1k

There are some other clips on the right side, too.
            "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
            -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

Contact Durham Hwy FD, I think that they normally do the same type deal on their open house day. Jim Swhink on Eng 2 B-shift has built one as well for a demo I believe.
              Real men wear kilts. www.forourfallen.org

Comment

A great way to send the fire safety message!

I made up something like this for work while doing campus fire safety awareness. Basically it is a 4' deep, 8' wide, 8' tall, 3 sided room with the front open and a ceiling. We load it with items that you would typically find in a dorm room, desk, dresser, bookshelves, computer, stereo, half of a bed, chair, window blinds, books, papers, clothes, well... you get the idea... And then, in the presence of a couple hundred students, (and the local FD) we light it on fire using a candle as the ignition source. I always gets great response and feedback each time we do this demonstration. It usally takes 2-3 minutes for the whole room to become fully involved in fire.

We made ours with a base made of 2x6's and plywood, then used metal studs and drywall for the rest. We also made a couple of "holes" in the base for it to be moved around with a forklift, or you could use wheels to move it around. We also put in a sprinkler head and piping so that we could demonstrate how effectively a sprinkler puts out the fire, but after the fact we thought that it would be more impressive on the students to just let it burn. It is a great way to show the public just how fast a fire can spread. And you can tie it in with the usual smoke detector, fire extinguisher, fire alarm, 911, 2 ways out, etc... fire safety message. It really brings the message home.
                Also, go here for more ideas, this is where we based ours from.

http://usfa.dhs.gov/safety/atrisk/ca...fs/cfs_06.shtm

We are working on editing the video and putting it on the web. Please let me know if you would like any other info on this.

Stay Safe
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice show 39, thanks.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader