• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Dalmatian190
    Forum Member

• Dalmatian190
    replied
    Glad to see a good outcome -- sounds like there was underlying issues that got brought to a head by the stress of a situation that wasn't directly a "FD" problem.

To further NJ's comment: The public AND the media hold us to a higher standard.

It's not just firefighters.

I saw this in the local paper today:

MONTVILLE -- A Montville school board member, expelled from his position as assistant chief at the Chesterfield Fire Department earlier this year, was charged Tuesday with giving alcoholic drinks to a minor.

...who also is a member of the town's Public Safety Commission, could not be reached Wednesday for comment.

The incident that led to charges occured at a FD banquet. But the School Board got sucked into the PR problem as well.

Leave a comment:

• Chief2701
    Forum Member

• Chief2701
    replied
    Thank You

Thank you all for your tremenous support of the SHFD, without all the gory details a "negotiated peace agreement" was reached and hopefully the agreements to be developed in the next few weeks will prevent this from happening again to not only the department, but the community of South Haven.

The department bylaws are to be ammended to allow for a board selected Chief, once this is accomplished and a contract with the township is agreed apon, I will ask for for a vote of confidence from the department.

The department is unified and the healing process has started from all the recent events they have faced, I can assure you that they will handle this just like they have handled the nearly 700 calls for help they have recieved thus far this year..... Together as a team.

as a side note all hiring, rehiring, reinstatement as well as screening policies are currently under review and will be revised as necessary

2701 and all 2700 units in service available

Leave a comment:

• Dickey
    MembersZone Subscriber

• Dickey
    replied
    Great news!! Welcome back Chief!!

Now you need to get to the real issue of damage control to the department and the personnel from all the bad press. Keep your chin up, things will get better.

I also agree with the shock factor as stated above and it is true, sells more papers and gets more ratings. The public does holds us to a higher standard. I think this is justified too because we are responsible for the public's well being and we are trusted with private issues and property.

Stuff like this makes firefighters look bad nationwide. It's the "few bad apples" theory at work here.

Again, welcome back!

Leave a comment:

• 1835Wayne
    Forum Member

• 1835Wayne
    replied
    NJ,You are right, we are held to a higher standard in the eye of the public............

You hit the nail on the head when you stated;

....the reaction is intensified. The public entrusts us with their well being. It doesn't matter that one doesn't use their position to assist them in committing the acts.....their trust has still been violated.

The public finds it especially alarming when those entrusted with their protection violate the trust, break faith with them. The level of trust that the public puts in us is necessarily higher. We enter their homes, pick up their children, help them in their hour of need. We have something that the Police, and even EMS services don't enjoy. The generally unconditional trust of the public that we will not do them harm. Then a pile of human excrement comes along and damages our position of trust.

It is a sad time in South Haven that was being made worse by the removal of a beloved Chief. When I was there Monday night, all the firefighters from a private up to the Asst.Chief were still addressing Doug as Chief. Now, he is Chief again.

Leave a comment:

• RspctFrmCalgary
    Forum Member

• RspctFrmCalgary
    replied
    Awesome news, Chief!

When I offered Wayne my support regarding this issue a few days ago, he asked me to post my thoughts, but this is the first chance I've had. Glad to see things have changed ... for the better!

Chief, it was absolutely ridiculous for you to have been "fired" in the first place. In my opinion, you acted with grace and dignity the entire time and did nothing wrong.

And I agree with Steamer 100%. The real winners are the community and the members of your fire department.

Leave a comment:

• NJFFSA16
    Sr. Information Officer

• NJFFSA16
    replied
    Originally posted by N2DFire
    NJFFSA16 -

My only point was that this guy's status as a firefighter (paid, volunteer, POC, pink, blue or invisible) had no bearing whatsoever on the situation. He didn't do these things because he was a firefighter, he didn't use his position as a firefighter to aid in committing these acts, and he hasn't yet tried to use it as a defense - so why did the press even mention it. What purpose did it serve other than to generate shock value?
    The public AND the media hold us to a higher standard. That fact alone is the reason that media reports include that information. When a law enforcement officer or a firefighter..or even a member of the clergy commit these terrible acts....the reaction is intensified. The public entrusts us with their well being. It doesn't matter that one doesn't use their position to assist them in committing the acts.....their trust has still been violated.

Shock value? Absolutely. Just as I am shocked by firefighters committing shameful acts...the media and public are shocked and dismayed tenfold. On duty or off duty...you represent the fire service 24/7.

Leave a comment:

• Steamer
    Disillusioned Subscriber

• Steamer
    replied
    Wayne, I have to disagree about the Chief being the winner. I'd say that the department and the people they protect are the real winners.

Leave a comment:

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    Forum Member

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    replied
    That is very good news. Welcome back Chief.

Leave a comment:

• 1835Wayne
    Forum Member

• 1835Wayne
    replied
    Dateline South Haven............................

In a reversal of fortune, Doug Patton was reinstated as Fire Chief after being replaced with the Asst. Chief of EMS Tim Ward. Township Trustee Jack Jent stated that he had never officially fired Chief Patton, and that he would return to the position of Chief. This in spite of the fact that he appointed Ward as "Interim Chief" and that the Chiefs vehicle and resposibilities were turned over to Ward.

"I am just proud to be able to continue to serve my community, in whatever capacity." Patton said tonight.

I feel that the pressure put on the Trustee by the residents of South Haven and the overwhelming support of the firefighters and community for Chief Patton were directly responsible for him regaining his post.

MUTT ---- 0

Chief ----- 1!

Leave a comment:

• Dickey
    MembersZone Subscriber

• Dickey
    replied
    I just don't understand how this MUTT can take a case of perverted sexual acts by one person into a head hunt of the Chief????

I support you Chief. I hope it all works out soon so the healing process of that monster can begin, not to mention all of this crap.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    63 Years & Still Rolling

• hwoods
    replied
    Ok...........

Copy that, Chief, I'll be in touch

Leave a comment:

• Chief2701
    Forum Member

• Chief2701
    replied
    Thanks to all for your support and advice, (boy those bugles can be heavy somedays) I've met with the firefighters and they are still focused on thier mission to the community. The IAFF will arrive this week to aid the department in eliminating this man's influence into the operational status of the department.

And although the trustee can remove the bugles, I have been wearing the Maltese cross proudly since 1973 and will continue to do so.

HWOODS I will be in Maryland attending the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service the first week of October, let me know if you have time to meet.

Leave a comment:

• 1835Wayne
    Forum Member

• 1835Wayne
    replied
    http://nwitimes.com/articles/2006/09...e5000bb57d.txt

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2006/09...e4007af220.txt

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2006/09...e5000b412f.txt

http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto...1_news_07.html

Here is the latest guys............Tim Ward is NOT a firefighter, only a Paramedic. He was named to the post because Jack feels he can control him I'm sure. Note that in the one article that JENT ordered the removal of firefighting equipment including SCBA's from the ambulances, NOT the Chief. This was done back in early August. He has also tried to say that if anyone gets hurt they will not receive payment of lost wages from their regular job under the twps work comp. BULL. I did when I was on the dept and hurt my back in a fall on the ice at an MVA. He is just trying to terrorize the troops so he can have his way. MUTT MUTT MUTT MUTT!!!!!!!!!!

He even tries to deflect criticism of his actions by saying Jent said he was disappointed in the department's comments.

"This is unprofessional on the part of this whole department," Jent said. "The victim is not the Fire Department. The victim is not Jack Jent or Doug Patton. The victim is little bitty children."

REALLY???? But we are talking about your COWARDLY actions, and MEDDLING in the fire departments bussiness!!! YOU have no knowledge of how to run a fire department, but order what can be on a truck????????

MUTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.- To admin of this board. If I have excessivley used the word
    MUTT
    Please let me know and I will of course edit my post.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    63 Years & Still Rolling

• hwoods
    replied
    Well............

I have nothing to say. BECAUSE, Mikey, CR, and Wayne, to name a few, have said it already. Chief Patton, as a Chief who has also been in hot water over a Press Conference, (I can't be Fired) I have an idea of how you feel. If there is ANYTHING that i can do to help, even though I'm in Maryland, let me know.

Leave a comment:

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    Forum Member

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    replied
    I just got back from my nieces 1st Birthday party. My Aunt lives in Valpo and brought this story up. From a CITIZENS point of view, this is her feeling. Mind you, she brought this up to me. She is as horrified as anyone about the actions of Parsons but she thinks Doug Patton is getting a truly raw deal. She also thinks Jack Jents is a stroke. Funny how the public can read through the bull**** huh? By the way, great grab CHIEF PATTON .

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X