• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto...1_news_02.html

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2006/09...e20083d062.txt

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2006/09...e3000fba20.txt

http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto...1_news_16.html
    Last edited by Chief2701; 09-08-2006, 07:36 AM.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Douglas R. Patton
    IACOJ
    "Omnis Cedo Domus"
    I am now a former Chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone.
    Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Originally posted by N2DFire
      Now - in reality who's fault is it that this has become a "black eye" for the fire service ?? - THE PRESS !!!
      Oh...I see. Should we suppress the media from their guaranteed Constitutional right?

Should we hide the actions of this disgraceful person...just so the firefighting community can continue to shine as "Our Nation's Heroes"?

Give me a break...it's the felon's fault.
      Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
      Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
      On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

NJFFSA16 -

I never said it wasn't his fault for committing these acts, I never said the press shouldn't have reported it, and I never said we should hide the actions of firefighters to remain "Our Nation's Heroes" - I simply see no point in mentioning it when it had nothing to do with the situation.

My only point was that this guy's status as a firefighter (paid, volunteer, POC, pink, blue or invisible) had no bearing whatsoever on the situation. He didn't do these things because he was a firefighter, he didn't use his position as a firefighter to aid in committing these acts, and he hasn't yet tried to use it as a defense - so why did the press even mention it. What purpose did it serve other than to generate shock value?

If he had done these things in the firehouse - yeah that's different. If he had in any way shape or form used being a firefighter to facilitate these - then fine report it but otherwise leave it out.

I am willing to bet that if the first news article hadn't said anything at all about him being a firefighter then 95% of us reading this thread now would never have even heard of this incident - myself included.

If you can't see where I'm coming from after this then I guess we'll just agree to see things differently.

And for the record - I'm all for reporting the "bad" things that firefighters ( police, priest, politicians, or anyone else for that matter) do by using or abusing their position - it keeps us honest, but if it has no bearing then leave it out and report the relevant facts.
        Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
        Stephen
        FF/Paramedic
        Instructor

Comment

Chief - - - I took a course on "how to talk to the press" and the "biggy" was never say no coment. They said thats like a red flag to a bull.
          May things work out for you and keep you head up, he's the SOB not you.
          Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Comment

Originally posted by NJFFSA16
            If true...this is one sick individual. I can't imagine anyone more vulnerable than a ten year old girl... What a black eye for firefighters...who children should be able to trust.

NJ
            Or doing it to anyone.And everyone,not just kids should be able to trust FFs.Like Malahat said,I don't envy the mutt's chain of command for having to deal with this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by 5pts384
              Chief - - - I took a course on "how to talk to the press" and the "biggy" was never say no coment. They said thats like a red flag to a bull.
              May things work out for you and keep you head up, he's the SOB not you.
              What is best,changing the subject or asking for another question?

Comment

Originally posted by Chief2701
                Well gentlemen, I was fired tonight for refusing to say "no Comment" at the press release.
                Damned if you do,damned if you don't?Is there anything we(even us rookies)can do to help?

Comment

To put his in timeline for you: As the event developed on Friday evening the suspect (my fire Captain) was refusing to exit his home. I was involved from the start with the detectives and the swat team in attepting to talk the suspect out. After his arrest my first phone call was to the township trustee to inform him of the situation.

As the case became public it generated alot of news press, my comments to the press in no way hindered or jeopordized the case, as I was in daily contact with the sheriffs department.

it became obivious very quickly that that the victim(s) or potential victims were all associates of his daughter, a good majority of them being children of firefighters to include my daughters.

My comments to the press were always in relationship to the feelings of the department with extreme care to not identify any potential victims.

Captain Parsons joined the department in the ealy 90's at that time a background check was performed, he left the department in 1997 divorced his wife and moved from the area. He return to the area and reapplied to the fire department in March of 2005, being a former member who had left in good standing no back ground check was performed for the rehire.

If a back ground check had been performed it would have reveiled two charges of invaision of privacy that occured durring his divorce 5 to 6 years earlier, I stated to the press that "perhaps I had dropped the ball" for not perfroming the check. But the two offenses would proably not have prevented his rehire. This statement was what upset the township attorney and trustee.

As I was driving to the press conferance the Deputy Chief Trustee called be and informed me to say "No Comment" to further inquires of the failed back ground check.

I express my displeasure at the lack of support concering this manner from the trustees office and informed them that if they were unhappy with my performance it was certainley their privliage to fire me.

I arrived at the press conferance and met with Sheriff, Prosucutor, and lead detective, and attended the press conferance standing beside the before mention LEO's, I attended the conferance at the request of the Porter County Sherriff's Department, and fielded questions appropriatly.

As I left the conferance I turned by cell phone back on and retrieve the message that if I had participated in the conferance it would be considered my resignation.

I immeadiatly contacted my Deputy Chief and advised him to assume all my duties.

I have yet to hear officially from the Trustee's office but as you can see he has informed the press of my firing.
                  [FONT=Times New Roman]Douglas R. Patton
                  IACOJ
                  "Omnis Cedo Domus"
                  I am now a former Chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone.
                  Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Ok guys. I have the great pleasure of calling Chief Patton a dear friend, and the chagrin to admit that I had considered Mike Parsons a friend. This came as a shock to all who know him. I cannot express the feelings of betrayal, anger and hurt at this situation.

As for Jack Jent, Portage Township Trustee..................Well, the man has besmirched the reputation of a man whom I know to be above reproach. In firing the Chief, he has, in my humble opinion, LOWERED himself to the rank of MUTT.

MUTT I SAY.

To fire the man for confering with Police, and commenting only on the affect on the department, is ridiculous! NO COMMENT leads to speculation and a search for ANYONE who will comment, usually someone who doesn't KNOW anything and is guessing. Which is preferable??

The issue is not the press, it is of course the crime commited.

Now we have an injustice added in the dismissal of Chief Patton.
                    Last edited by 1835Wayne; 09-09-2006, 06:55 PM.
                    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
                    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Comment

Well Chief, You just made the WGN noon news. They basically quoted you regarding the reason for your dismissal. I don't think you said anything innappropriate and I wish you all the best during this difficult time.
                      IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Hey Mikey, wanna fire up the MUTT patrol and visit the trustee??

You know, kinda like the Rat Patrol here in NWI............

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Comment

I can be there in an hour Wayne...As long as I Stay of 80/94
                          IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Scuttlebutt has it there will be a protest tommorrow at the fd by members of the community over Chief Pattons firing.

NOTE: This info did NOT come from Doug, he is not inciting any such thing!

Comment

I'm in

Cannot be there in the bodily sense-but by crikey I'm there!

Comment

Well ............I am shocked that somehow the Chief gets fired for ???????? Absolute BS and nothing more. Good Luck to you Chief, I thought you did the right thing in this trying time.
                                IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                                Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                                ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                                RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                                LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                                I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                                "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                                http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X