Houston FD academy...again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston FD academy...again?

I havent been on in quite a while but it seems that when I have a question regarding the job I always find my way back here. I first came to the site asking about the job before I got into it. Now I come again asking for more thoughts...
    I graduated from Houston Comm. College fire school in May 06 (who actually does HFDs fire classes as well) and at the same time I recieved my EMT B. Since then I have been employed with a Vol. department on a duty crew while waiting to get into Houston. Well I took the non certified entrance test for Houston because at the time I wasnt. Here we are 4 months later and I am getting hired for that class. Now I am being told different things then before I took the test. Before I was told that since I am already a FF/EMT-B they would just switch me to a Paramedic class or send me to a station after an HFD policies course. Now that I have been hired I am being told that I will most likely have to go through the entire academy again, thats the EMT-B then Paramedic followed by FF portion. I dont know for sure yet what I will have to do. I will find out after the class starts on Sept 11 (I know what a day right).
    So here is my question what would you guys do if forced to go through it all over again? Stick out for 18 months of the same stuff or tell them no thanks Ill be back and go get my EMT-P seperate? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

PS Houston Fire Department is a dream job and I have had Captains in the department tell me that they are going to be requesting me so they can be my FTO. Alot of pressure.

If you are lucky enough to get the job offer do exactly this. Say "thank you" and then do whatever they tell you to do.

Comment

How bad do you want the be a memebr of the HFD? If you do not want it, there are thousands who would jump at the offer you have in front of you.

Do exactly what SAFD46Truck said. 18 months of school for a 25 year career in a department that many people would love to work for is not so a bad deal. I'd even take it and I'm going to retire from my current FD in less than 4 years.

Keep your mouth shut, do what you are told, and before you know it, you will be on a HFD company and starting on a great career.

If you cannot or do not want to go through the academy and re-learn SOME what you already know, pass and let the next guy on the list get the dream job.
      Last edited by KenNFD1219; 09-03-2006, 07:26 PM.
      -------------------
      "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
      -----------------------------------------------
      Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Comment

Yeah I want it bad and my original thought is that when they say jump I will say how high. I guess Im just looking to see if everyone was thinking like this. I just wanted to get some of you guys opinions. I dont think I would turn it down its just that its a long time to be at the academy.

Comment

I went through the Department of defense fire academyin 2003, and 18 months later I got I job with my local city. They still sent me to the state fire academy. I didn't really like the idea of doing the same thing all over again, but I'll tell you all the stuff I learned really stuck the 2nd time. Look at it like a refesher, it's only gonna make you better at what you do. Just keep quite and listen up and you'll do fine.

Comment

In the mid 1980's, The Massport (Massachusetts Port Authority, who runs Logan International Airport) FD hired some firefighters from the Civil Service layoff list. A few of those who were hired had just gone through the Massachusetts Fire Academy with their community's FD before getting axed.

Massport made them go through the Academy again. Massport is the one of, if not, the highest paid FDs in Massachusetts.

When you get an opportunity to get your "dream job" and they told you that would have to wear a hot pink tutu and do pirouettes in front of Houston City Hall during rush hour.. you damn well know that you would be doing pirouettes wearing a hot pink tutu in the middle of rush hour traffic in front of Hpuston City Hall!

I echo Ken and Rich's comments.

You want the best job in the world?

Do what they say!
            Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 09-05-2006, 08:08 AM. Reason: spelling errors
            ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
            Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Yeah you guys make alot of sense. I could use to learn. In fact I am always willing to learn. I am definately going to take advantage of this. Its one of the best departments in the country and I could learn alot from these guys. Thank you for the reinforcements.

Comment

Paulokasey as a Houston Firefighter all I can say is this. Do what your told and enjoy ride. I was a firefighter from another paid department and I had to go through it again so if a guy with years on the job is asked to prove himself so should a guy with little or no experience. There is a reason for it. Houston like so many departments do things different and you need to learn what HFD wants from you. Not what someone else does. Right wrong or indifferent that's the way it is. Don't be like the rest of the young crybabies coming into day and whine about a dream job, just because of my god I have to do A LITTLE WORK. COME IN KEEP YOUR MOUTH CLOSED AND ENJOY THE RIDE.

On a separate note, I do understand the frustration of all classes now being maid to go to paramedic school. But that is just the reality of the job today. I'm sure some other kid would take it if you turn it down.

Good luck with class. I wish you the best and hope enjoy your new life. Welcome to HFD.

Now shut up and get on the box and don’t forget to bring the ice cream on your first day…LOL J
                "DON'T GO IN THERE!!! DON'T YOU KNOW THERE IS A FIRE IN THERE!!!!"

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Comment

holy crap dude...you really needed to ask this question? If you didn't already know the answer, ......
                  The good thing about this job is that we have done so much, with so little, for so long that we can do everything with nothing...... which is what is wrong with this job.
                  KTF | DTRT

Comment

Originally posted by paulokasey
                    I will find out after the class starts on Sept 11 (I know what a day right).
                    You are correct, what a day. I can't believe that it has been 5 years already. I can think of no better way to never forget the lost brothers than to have your anniversary on 9/11. When you start that day at the accademy and sitting in the classes that you have already been through, think about how many of those FF's families would gladly have their loved ones back. Show respect to the ones that have gone before you, both those brave brothers from Houston and all of the other FF's in the world by doing the best that you can, keeping your mouth shut, and busting your *** so that you go home safe and your brothers/sisters go home safe at the end of the shift!

KTF-EGH-RFB-DTRT
                    Real men wear kilts. www.forourfallen.org

Comment

Originally posted by hfd838

Good luck with class. I wish you the best and hope enjoy your new life. Welcome to HFD.

Now shut up and get on the box and don’t forget to bring the ice cream on your first day…LOL J
                      Thank you I trully am excited to be a part of this department and I dont mean to come off whining just a little put off that I will have to go back to the classroom when Id rather be on the streets. I know there is always something I can learn. I know that I will do anything that anyone tells me to do when it comes down to it. So I guess when it comes down to it I dont even know why I posted this. Just a little frustration I guess.

What station do you work at in Houston and what flavor ice cream would you like...sir?

Comment

As long as it is blue bell. Don’t be like the last rookie who brought some crap to the firehouse. Any kind of blue bell will do..Well, maybe not vanilla.

As much As I would love to say I still belong to district 46. I did my time there. I needed a break. I’m at 20’s now and I’m enjoying the time off… When I make captain I will be going back. And the I would strongly suggest you bring chocolate ice-cream with you…LOL
                        "DON'T GO IN THERE!!! DON'T YOU KNOW THERE IS A FIRE IN THERE!!!!"

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X