Whats you opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posted by Dickey
    My biggest disclaimer...." I will show you several ways to skin a cat. You use the way that your department policy says you shall use."
    Another point to remember... on the fireground, there are no "olympic judges" holding up cards grading your performance on your technique of bringing in a line over a ladder.. to paraphase Lary the Cable guy.. "git-r-done and get to work!"
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Not going to critique photos or the comments of said photos, but will try to answer the original question.

Like many of us who have posted above, I am also an instructor and I concur with a comment made earlier about trying to meld between "text-book" and "street" learning. In the classroom (and I borrowed this from another instructor) I always tell what the book says, make sure they 'get it' and are ready for the exam. However I will always at the beginning and end of the class (and all through it) caution the students that the Book is the exam standard. What their individual units practice is another all together. Where possible I will show "technique" (another bit borrowed from another instructor - or what I call a "Me-ism") on what might happen in the street. And hope that it might give the key to another potential tool in the box line of thinking.
      If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187
        I am going to use that one soon.

However, to me, your comment does seem to lean towards the "why the hell did they teach you that at The Rock..." attitude. No?
        NO! Everything we are taught becomes another tool in the box. I have run across many a "rock" graduate who says, "but they said to do it this way" as I/we conduct training. While it is likely the "basic" training received in an academy will work, most areas have a refined means of doing certain tasks.

Likewise, we as the teachers must be open to ideas brought to us. If the idea seems feasible, it should be explored and tried through training and drills to see if it has merit. At the same time it should not be immediately adopted as operational as it may have flaws or safety concerns.

So, for the new recruit being told of a way of doing things not taught in the academy, he should embrace it as tried and proven by his officers and senior men. On the other hand, an officer or senior man being told of a new way of doing something, it should be looked at and tested if it makes sense.

Comment

When teaching my students I try to get them to understand. I teach the book, the state exam is from the book.
          The book is a good foundation that you build on - - - street learning is fine after you know the basics.
          Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X