No announcement yet.

I.A.F.F. Convention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am glad to hear that you got that contract settled. We are blessed to have a strong Union at the state level. It will be interesting to see who the International decides to support in 2008. It is 2006. ALL OF YOU IAFF members out have have some time to express your views to your local, state and international IAFF leaders. We ARE a democracy. It's easy to lob the ol' "Kool-Aid" drinkers charge. Thats bull****. YOU have the power to decide what direction the union is going to take. I was able to ask President Shaitberger a question at the recent 8th District caucus in Indianapolis and was pleased with what I heard. If you and your local don't like the endorsements the Executive Board makes, do something about it. Milwaukee and UFA Local 94 made their choice in 2004. A choice I personally didnt agree with but it was theirs to make. My own Local endorsed a candidate for State Senate in 2002. This man is a very close personal friend of mine and I campaigned as a private citizen for him. I was the lone vote against endorsing him. The reality is and was that he wasn't going to win. We were extremely lucky that his opponent (who trounced him) didnt hold a grudge. She has been a very good friend to our local in spite of us going against the state in endorsing our friend. Actions speak louder then words and like I said before firefighting is my bread and butter. So I will generally will vote along with OUR union. No system and no union is perfect, but ours has done a tremendous job in reaching across party lines to further our agenda. The IAFF has done an excellent job in helping Brothers and Sisters in need. All you have to do is look at the monies raised by the 9/11 relief fund, the disaster relief fund, the EDF and the Guardian Policy to see how contrary that is to the view stated in this very thread that the IAFF is only concerned with our work life.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
      I am glad to hear that you got that contract settled. We are blessed to have a strong Union at the state level. It will be interesting to see who the International decides to support in 2008. It is 2006. ALL OF YOU IAFF members out have have some time to express your views to your local, state and international IAFF leaders. We ARE a democracy. It's easy to lob the ol' "Kool-Aid" drinkers charge. Thats bull****. YOU have the power to decide what direction the union is going to take. I was able to ask President Shaitberger a question at the recent 8th District caucus in Indianapolis and was pleased with what I heard. If you and your local don't like the endorsements the Executive Board makes, do something about it. Milwaukee and UFA Local 94 made their choice in 2004. A choice I personally didnt agree with but it was theirs to make. My own Local endorsed a candidate for State Senate in 2002. This man is a very close personal friend of mine and I campaigned as a private citizen for him. I was the lone vote against endorsing him. The reality is and was that he wasn't going to win. We were extremely lucky that his opponent (who trounced him) didnt hold a grudge. She has been a very good friend to our local in spite of us going against the state in endorsing our friend. Actions speak louder then words and like I said before firefighting is my bread and butter. So I will generally will vote along with OUR union. No system and no union is perfect, but ours has done a tremendous job in reaching across party lines to further our agenda. The IAFF has done an excellent job in helping Brothers and Sisters in need. All you have to do is look at the monies raised by the 9/11 relief fund, the disaster relief fund, the EDF and the Guardian Policy to see how contrary that is to the view stated in this very thread that the IAFF is only concerned with our work life.
      Very well said, Mikey.
      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

the very same people you are dissing here as "not worthy of your time" are the same ones who would support your local 's efforts, go to Brother's funerals, etc.

Not that it matters, but I have written my last few posts from Denver, Co. The reason I am out here is that I will be attending the IAFF Fallen Firefighters Memorial tomorrow, in Colorado Springs, September 16, 2006.

It is also important to remember that if you offer your opinion, I will offer mine. If my opinion differs from yours, and you don’t like it, don’t offer yours in the first place. Freedom of speech, and the first amendment only protect your right to freely speak from persecution by the government. No where in the constitution does it say that other people have to agree with you, and your opinion. If you don’t have time for me, because I don’t agree that I should blindly vote for politicians my local, or the international tells me to, so be it. I will always have time for your local, and would gladly walk a picket line in support of your issues, if called upon.
        My father walked a picket line for local-2 once upon a time, and many of their members walked the line up here, during our strike.

Comment

Originally posted by jasper45
          Not that it matters, but I have written my last few posts from Denver, Co. The reason I am out here is that I will be attending the IAFF Fallen Firefighters Memorial tomorrow, in Colorado Springs, September 16, 2006.

It is also important to remember that if you offer your opinion, I will offer mine. If my opinion differs from yours, and you don’t like it, don’t offer yours in the first place. Freedom of speech, and the first amendment only protect your right to freely speak from persecution by the government. No where in the constitution does it say that other people have to agree with you, and your opinion. If you don’t have time for me, because I don’t agree that I should blindly vote for politicians my local, or the international tells me to, so be it. I will always have time for your local, and would gladly walk a picket line in support of your issues, if called upon.
          My father walked a picket line for local-2 once upon a time, and many of their members walked the line up here, during our strike.
          Very well said, Jasper.
          ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

IAFF Convention

Jasper,
            As i stated before I was not addressing anyone in particular in my statements, especially not you.

You seem to contridicte yourself quite often and really dont read what others have read.

I have no beef with my Brothers in your local, just your statements.

And if you would have read what I wrote in this thread, you would have seen where I wrote that I did not have time for your comments (in which you call me a fool) (comments are not people)

It seems from what you say (at least in this thread) you take great pride in your IAFF membership and all the things the IAFF has done for you.

However in the IAFF Proud thread you state that "I can no longer take pride in my IAFF membership" last edited 3-30-2006.

Well you sure do change your mind alot. Proud, unproud, I guess it just depends on your mood who or what you want to bash.

Oh and by the way the IAFF does save jobs as I explained earlier.

I stick by what I say no matter what. And if your local calls me I will be their for them. You too may be there for them, depending on your mood. On that note I am very tired of talking to you, not your brothers.

My actions within the IAFF and the AFFI speak for me.

Comment

Eric,

Here's a quote of yours: "So if the IAFF asks me to vote for a politician, I will do so blindly, if that makes me a fool I am proud to be one. And this fool will always be grateful to his brothers and sister who did what needed to be done, without question, anytime, anywhere."

So you're saying, hypothetically, that if David Duke R-Louisiana or Robert Byrd D-West Virginia were running for President and the IAFF endorsed one of them they'd have your vote.

The irony here is that each of them was at one time a member of the Klu Klux Klan. I'm just saying that there are several important political issues facing our society today and that each individual should take the time to compare/contrast each candidate to see who better fits their families needs and values.

I respect everything Union Presidents (yourself included) have to go through, whether it be contract negotiations, grievances, late nights, crooked politicians and dealing with some of the members who constantly think they're getting shafted. That's why I have no problem with dues money going to symposiums and conventions in nice destinations (ie Redmond Symposium in Honolulu) along with some of the other perks. I know that my E-Board and Officers are looking out of for the members. know that if I call my President or any of the E-Board that I will hear from them that day.

I've spoken my piece. If you think I'm a pimp so be it - but you can bet your last dollar that my heart and attitude are 100% into this job!

Comment

IAFF Convention

I am confident in the leadership of the IAFF. The current administration had my support and continues to have it. There is no way, no how they would ever support a candidate like that. I will not entertain a notion like that. Under Harold and Vince we have become a political force to be reconed with.

They endorce the candidates they not only will support us, but have a concievable chance of winning. I am confident 99% of the IAFF membership is aware of this.

Comment

Sen. Robert Byrd D-West Virginia is the Senior Senator from that state and was at one-time a member of the Klan. This is common knowledge amongst most people that follow politics closely. The Senator is consistently endorsed by the AFL-CIO. He has been a supporter of firefighter related issues throughout the years.

His past may or may not be an issue today. The guy is now in his 80's and still going strong. He's been a Senator for over 40 years.

Very few Democratic or Republican candidates and incumbents ever truly support us or our families, despite the baloney they like to feed us.

Comment

IAFF Convention

Ill be honest with you, I do not know much about the politics of west virginia.

If you are from that state I suggest you speak to your local president or someone on your political action commitee.

I am sure they will be able to explain the reasons they have for endorsing certain politicians.

Not being from the state I am not sure why/or if they have endorsed that candidate.

I am sure they look at his voting record on issues affecting fire fighters and then make a decision.

And I think there are politicians who give a damm about us. Martin Sandoval, a senator in my district always supports us. When he needed our help in his strongly contested primary we worked hard to make sure he won. And he did.

And know we have an ally who knows he can count on us, and we can count on him. Just one example of the thosands of politicians the IAFF supports.

Comment

i'm from ny and hilary sucks

Hilary was one of a few Senators (all liberals) to recently vote AGAINST making english the official language of the USA. Get ready for the NFPA to require a spanish-english dictionary for radio transmissions as part of your required gear.

Comment

Motor 1 a la alarma de incendio... ¡Pulse la caja! demostración pesada del fuego!

Aye carumba!
                        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by ekhaber
                          Anyone who is with me welcome to our fight. Anyone opposed can go to hell.

If you wish to support someome who endangers my life, your no friend of mine
                          Originally posted by jasper45
                          If you are supporting a politician because someone else tells you to, you are a fool, and consequently no friend of mine.
                          Apparently you don’t read, yourself. I quoted the above from your previous posts about how feel about those who may think, or vote differently than do you. My posts were in direct response with these quotes, and a few others. Sounds pretty direct and to the point to me. We didn’t endorse the IAFF candidate for president, I guess that does us opposed to you, and consequently ‘no friend of yours’. How ‘brotherly’ of you, brother.
                          I also quoted myself above, so you could read it again; I never called you a fool, and when you see the context of your quotes, followed up by mine, I think it fairly easy to understand my viewpoint.

I take pride in my local; currently I have a few issues with the IAFF, itself. I am not so blind though, as to not see what the IAFF has done over the years for our profession. I can also say that the IAFF Fallen Firefighter Ceremony is an example of what is good about our union. It was solemn, respectful, and there were no politics present; it was purely about our brothers and sisters who have died.

I’m not going to keep beating this dead horse. The IAFF has its upside, and that’s great if they are able to save jobs in your area. I an tell you for a fact though, they are not saving them here, as we are set to take even more drastic reductions this year, by politicians we supported. Take a trip to New York, as well, and as the Fire Patrol of New York how well the IAFF has been able to save their jobs.

I only said I couldn’t take pride in my membership, what I should have said was for the moment. There have been a few issues which have soured my opinion. I never said we should leave. The only time I feel that way, is when I read opinions such as the one you have on this forum.

Comment

IAFF Convention

Even though you did not interpret the true meaning of my statements and I could try to explain my pro union stance more I will not. I will allow you to have the last word.

Lets agree to disagree.

I will never leave the IAFF but this thread may cause me to sign out of this Forum. Seems there is alot of resentment for the IAFF on this Forum.

This thread was supposed to be about sharing positive experiences that we had at the IAFF Convention. Nothing else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Eric,

There's good and bad in every organization. Individuals have agendas. That's human nature. Overall most IAFF members are proud of their Union. I know I am. However, that doesn't mean there aren't issues they find frustrating or wrong. And a lot of these individuals have tried to change things within their Unions only to face brickwalls. Look, you probably love your wife, but I'll bet there's one or two traits you'd like to change about her as well but never will because that's just the way it is. So, I don't think it's really resentment towards the IAFF.

I'm glad that they were there for you in Cicero. You're in a corrupt and tough city - no question. If they protected those jobs that's great. At the end of the day that's what's important.

I would only ask you to please not be so quick to judge those who do not automatically agree with everything the Union tells us. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by NortheastFF
                                Eric,

There's good and bad in every organization. Individuals have agendas. That's human nature. Overall most IAFF members are proud of their Union. I know I am. However, that doesn't mean there aren't issues they find frustrating or wrong. And a lot of these individuals have tried to change things within their Unions only to face brickwalls. Look, you probably love your wife, but I'll bet there's one or two traits you'd like to change about her as well but never will because that's just the way it is. So, I don't think it's really resentment towards the IAFF.

I'm glad that they were there for you in Cicero. You're in a corrupt and tough city - no question. If they protected those jobs that's great. At the end of the day that's what's important.

I would only ask you to please not be so quick to judge those who do not automatically agree with everything the Union tells us. Thanks.
                                Another excellent point!
                                Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X