No announcement yet.

SCBA - Eliminating cross contamination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCBA - Eliminating cross contamination?

I have looked over the squables over who has the best air pack, and the blah blah.
    I have specific questions with regards to SCBA brands?

1) Who has the best solution for eliminating cross contamination in the regulator?
    2) What brand has the best accountability hardware built in to the SCBA (electronic of course)?
    3) If I had to change batteries in a pack at a fire scene - wich one is the easiest with least amount of tools?

We are a composite FD working on the "future" - with all tha pandemic hype we want to make sure our packs prevent cross contamination.

We have Scott currently, and well......yup way out in left field with contaminated regulator.

MSA, and Draeger have left us demo packs - out of those 2 I have found MSA to be the easiest to work with. Hope to get better info through you guys and hopefully some more demo packs - ISI, Survivair etc.

Thanks for your input
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

My old department had MSA Firehawks and the older BMR style,and plenty of 60 minute cylinders.We love 'em.
    Every time we used them,the wearer was supposed to clean it,whether it was a rig mask or their issued one.Keeping them as clean as you can(I know-firegrounds are not sterile environments)and checked regularly for worn/broken parts is about the best idea I can think of.Someone with more experience can probably teach us both more.
    The only SCBA I've ever used were MSA.I think the major brands keep up with parts and availability to avoid losing customers.
    Again with MSA,the batteries can be changed in the field with either a dime or a flathead screwdriver.
    Anything used in as stressful and busy scenes like a fireground should be KISS as much as possible.
    This may or may not have helped.Hope it does though.

Comment

The only way to completely eliminate cross-contamination is to purchase regulators for all your people. Big bucks for sure, but if its that important too you...
      Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
      RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
      Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

Yep!............

Originally posted by Dave1983
        The only way to completely eliminate cross-contamination is to purchase regulators for all your people. Big bucks for sure, but if its that important too you...
        Exactly! That's what we have done here. Every Member has an assigned Facepiece and Regulator. Each item is engraved with the Members ID # and is inspected annually by the SCBA Shop. We have a Pack for every riding position, on every rig. Some members have packs individually assigned as well. Each pack also has an extra bottle on board, and there is a pack in each RIT Bag. There is a RIT Bag for each Rescue Company and each Ladder Company. Lotta Bucks?? Sure, but if it means our people are safer and healthier, then it's worth it.
        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
        In memory of
        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

I am assuming yourself and Hwoods are talking about Scotts. We were presented with that option by Scott, but with a largly volunteer department and the turn over we have found it to be cost prohibitive. As doughesson says, we would like to keep our system simple. If we were all full time, I could see going to masks and regs, but not yet.

How are ISI and Survivair - I dont have much experience with these?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave404
            I am assuming yourself and Hwoods are talking about Scotts. We were presented with that option by Scott, but with a largly volunteer department and the turn over we have found it to be cost prohibitive. As doughesson says, we would like to keep our system simple. If we were all full time, I could see going to masks and regs, but not yet.

How are ISI and Survivair - I dont have much experience with these?
            I cant speak for the Chief, but I was talking about Scotts. I understand the turn over with volunteers. You can do the same as our vollys.

They are permitted a maximum of 25 active members. So what they did was buy 25 masks (we dont have seperate regulators). They are assingned and when a member leaves, the mask is taken apart and cleaned and sanitized before it is assigned to someone else. I dont see why that wouldnt work with regulators.

Now, if you have an unlimited number of active members, that could be cost prohibative. But if you have a set number, maybe it ill work for you...

Sorry, dont know anything about thoese other SCBA brands...
            Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
            RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
            Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

I cant speak for the Chief, but I was talking about Scotts. I understand the turn over with volunteers. You can do the same as our vollys.

They are permitted a maximum of 25 active members. So what they did was buy 25 masks (we dont have seperate regulators). They are assingned and when a member leaves, the mask is taken apart and cleaned and sanitized before it is assigned to someone else. I dont see why that wouldnt work with regulators.

Now, if you have an unlimited number of active members, that could be cost prohibative. But if you have a set number, maybe it ill work for you...

Sorry, dont know anything about thoese other SCBA brands...
              One problem is that we have more members than air packs. The additional cost of purchasing regulators......thats where we have the problem with pushing the financing. It is a good idea though!

Comment

Right now I think MSA is leading the field for (1)technology, (2)cross contamination, and (3)rescue capabilities.

Technology
                1.) The ICM TX and ICM TXR being modular designed so that not only can you change batteries in the field, you can change the whole PASS device.

Cross Contamination
                1.) 3rd party tested against cross contamination
                2.) Use of inhalation check valve and exhalation valve
                3.) Individual issued regulators have not only up front costs, but cost to maintain increases. Annual flow tests must be performed on all of those regulators and maintenance performed from being slammed in doors , dropped in mud, etc.

Rescue Capabilities
                1.) Rescue Belt 50' or 75'
                2.) Transfill (equalization of SCBA cylinders and provide air through/from the SCBA on your back) Eliminates the need for all of those RIT packs mentioned above. In essence every SCBA is a RIT pack by its air donating capabilities.

Comment

Well................

What we have is a Combination department, currently (so I'm told) of approx. 700 fulltime and 1,750 Volunteers. With these numbers, we had to make a sizeable investment to make the program work. We are 100% Scott. In this part of the World, Scott has about 60% of the market, MSA has about 30%, and Survivair has 5%. There is no fourth place.......
                  Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                  In memory of
                  Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                  Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X