No announcement yet.

Bronx Box 2797 2nd FF Dies

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bronx Box 2797 2nd FF Dies

    More Sorry

    Sadly the second FF has died.


    A second firefighter died Monday from a store fire in the Bronx after being trapped in the basement with four other colleagues.

    Fire Lt. Howard Carpluk, a 20-year veteran, died at Montefiore Medical Center, a day after the blaze claimed the life of firefighter Michael Reilly, 25, said assistant fire chief of operations Robert Sweeney.

    Carpluk, 43, of Engine 42 in the Bronx, who fell into the basement of a discount store, passed away Monday at Montefiore Medical Center. Department officials did not list Carpluk's hometown, but records show he was a resident of Yaphank.

    Reilly, of Engine 75 in the Bronx, was carrying a hose inside 1575 Walton Ave., officials said, when the floor in the one-story building gave way beneath him, trapping him and four others in the basement just before 1 p.m.

    Reilly, of Sleepy Hollow, grew up in Ramsey, N.J., where he once served as a volunteer firefighter. He joined the Marines in 2000 and was a sergeant in the Marine Reserves. Reilly was rescued from the rubble and rushed to Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center, where he was pronounced dead, officials said. An official with the Ramsey Rescue Squad described Reilly as fearless and said he believed he served a one-year tour in Iraq two years ago.

    Officials said Reilly apparently died from heart failure and suffered no burns in the fall. Family members could not be reached for comment.

    Battalion Chief Thomas Auer, 47, a 23-year veteran, Lt. John Grasso, 45, a 21-year veteran, and firefighter Wayne Walters, 36, a four-year veteran, were in serious but stable condition on Monday at Jacobi Medical Center.

    The death marked another sad day for the New York City Fire Department, which is just two weeks away from commemorating the loss of 343 men on Sept. 11, 2001. Yesterday's fire, in the Mount Eden section of the Bronx, occurred a mile from a building where two firefighters jumped four stories to their deaths on Jan. 23, 2005, a day known in the department as "Black Sunday."

    "The loss of any of our bravest in the line of duty is a blow to the heart of our city," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said at an impromptu news conference at the hospital.

    The three-alarm fire broke out in a building that housed a 99-cent store and left 21 firefighters, from a battalion chief to rank-and-file firefighters, with smoke inhalation and other minor injuries, officials said. Only Carpluk's injuries were listed as critical. The cause of the fire has not been determined.

    Officials said that workers at the store called 911 after the glass on a refrigerator shattered in an unexplained explosion. By the time firefighters arrived, the fire had started, officials said.

    The fire, which department officials said was not deemed suspicious, burned for four hours before it was extinguished, officials said. Two hours into battling it, the blaze became a rescue operation when the floor gave way. More than 130 firefighters were at the scene, many of whom toiled to get an oxygen hose to the trapped firefighters in the basement.

    A spokeswoman for the city buildings department said that the building had no history of structural problems.

    Reilly had begun his firefighting career in his hometown in New Jersey, said Erik Endress, president of the volunteer Ramsey Rescue Squad.

    "He is definitely cut from that cloth of run-into-the-fire guys," said Endress, who said Reilly joined in 1997, after high school. "He's a tough guy, right in your face. I'm sure he was making a great accomplishment for himself in the FDNY very quickly, as he did with us."

    Evelyn Scharff, 37, who lives next door to Carpluk in Yaphank, described him as a trusted family friend, someone who has helped keep her pool clean and has been friendly with her children.

    "He has the biggest heart. He seemed very dedicated to his work," Scharff said. She said that Carpluk has two children, a boy and a girl. Another neighbor, Craig Caruana, 30, said, "He was a great neighbor. He'd help make sure the fire hydrants were clear [of snow]."

    At the news conference, Bloomberg, who alluded to Reilly's service in Iraq, said he had met Reilly at a recent ceremony inducting him into the fire department, and added that he also met Reilly's father, an accountant, who told him his son always wanted to be a firefighter.

    "He was somebody who I shook hands with and congratulated only four months ago," the mayor said.
    Last edited by nozzelvfd; 08-28-2006, 01:21 PM.
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

  • #2
    *Salutes* Rest in Peace Brother.
    All Gave Some. Some Gave All.
    FDNY - 343 - 9/11/2001

    God Bless the Charleston 9. Godspeed Brothers.sigpic


    • #3

      (New York - WABC, August 28, 2006) - The death toll is now two in that fire and building collapse in the Bronx Sunday. The FDNY lost a probationary firefighter and a veteran of the force in the same blaze.

      In all, five firefighters were injured while fighting the flames that broke out Sunday afternoon . They were trapped and hurt when the floor gave out in the 99 cent store where the blaze erupted in the Mount Eden section.
      The five men were swallowed up, and for two desperate hours their fellow firefighters fought to save them. Sadly, help would not come soon enough for 25-year-old Michael Reilly. The rookie firefighter stopped breathing and his heart stopped beating before reaching the hospital.

      The firefighter who died Monday, 42-year-old Lieutenant Howard Carpluk Jr., was a 20 year veteran firefighter. He passed away after spending the night in the Advance Cardiac unit at Montefiore Hospital.

      Carpluk, Jr and Reilly were the last two pulled out of the building and the most seriously injured. Both went into cardiac arrest. The three others who were trapped were taken to Jacobi Hospital. They are expected to survive.

      The mayor and fire commissioner raced to Bronx Lebanon Hospital to console the fallen firefighters' families.

      Mayor Michael Bloomberg, (R) New York: "He (Reilly) was somebody who I shook hands with, handed a plaque to and congratulated him at his probbie graduation only four months ago. Parents never forget but I think they can be proud that their son did what he wanted to do and made a difference, whether it was defending the county in Iraq or saving our lives here on the streets of New York City."

      Reilly graduated from the Fire Academy just two months ago. He is survived by his parents, a brother and a sister. Howard Carpluk, Jr., lived in Yaphank. He is survived by his wife, Deborah, a son, Bradley and a daughter, Paige.

      Rest In Peace,

      God bless the families
      You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.


      • #4
        Fcuk it!!!! I was fearing this but hoping it wouldn't happen... I am shattered... nothing else to say that hasn't already been said.
        Steve Dude
        IACOJ member

        London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

        'Irony'... It's a British thing.


        • #5
          GOD Bless Lt. Carpluk. My thoughts and prayer go to your family and the FDNY.

          Lost Never Forgotten Brother Lt. Carpluk


          300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)


          Upper 300x250