Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messed Up Standards?

From The Firehouse.com front page:

A career firefighter in Indiana determined to have been under the influence of alcohol while assisting on a medical call remains on duty, but faces multiple departmental violations.

Kokomo Firefighter John J. Iseminger was reported to have been loud and noisy while assisting paramedics on a call in June, Deputy Chief Pat Donoghue said.

When others smelled the odor of an alcoholic beverage on his breath, a probe was initiated, and a test conducted showed his blood alcohol was above both state driving limit of .08 and department's contractual level, .10, the deputy chief confirmed.

Following an internal investigation, the veteran firefighter was charged by Fire Chief Dave Duncan with four violations, including conduct unbecoming an officer. Donoghue said the counts include both local and state statutes. He could be fired for the offenses.

On Sept. 19, Iseminger will appear before the city's board of public works and safety, a three-member committee appointed by the mayor. Should the panel terminate him, he has 30 days to file an appeal in court.

Is it just me or does anybody else think it is pretty messed up that this department things that even though you are to drunk to drive at .08, you are not to drunk to fight fire until you hit .10.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

That was a little odd sounding when I first read it. I'm hoping that it means that if you're ever caught with a BAC of .10 then you can be fired (this means off the job).
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

He should be fired for going on a call while under the influence.

Our policy is zero tollerance. A minimum of 8 hours from your last drink. BAC of .00 and if you are caught, you are terminated on the spot. I am all for the "eat, drink and be merry" attitude but don't come near the FD when you do.

That is my personal pet peeve as well.
      Jason Knecht
      Firefighter/EMT
      Township Fire Dept., Inc.
      Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
      http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
      EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Our policy is if you drink you can't be around until 12 hours after your last drink. Personally if you are responsible then coming around the firehouse after drinking isn't a big deal as long as your not on duty and NOT responding to calls. I mean its not strange to see bars in firehouses up North... just my two cent
        22 House protecting our first due and yours!

There are alot of heros in the fire service most are in the front yard!

Firefighter/EMT-I

Engine 222
        Putin The Wet Stuff On The Red Stuff!

Comment

Here you can have .04 and you are OK. Above that you get in trouble and have to go through some program and are on "last chance". If you get caught on last chance then you get fired.
          I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Huh??........

Originally posted by Dickey
            He should be fired for going on a call while under the influence.

Our policy is zero tollerance. A minimum of 8 hours from your last drink. BAC of .00 and if you are caught, you are terminated on the spot. I am all for the "eat, drink and be merry" attitude but don't come near the FD when you do.

That is my personal pet peeve as well.

Hey, We gotta look at the flip side as well. If we tighten up too much, the profits from the station Bar will start to decline.........

Seriously, I'm with the "Zero Tolerance" Group on this. MOST of the time, an Alcohol, or Drug, or Whatever, Problem is a well known, and equally well hidden, station secret. Once in a while, something like this incident will pop up and we all look bad for a few days, and worse, another career goes down the tubes. One of the hardest things to do is to get a substance user/abuser to 1. Realize that they have a problem, 2. Admit that they have a problem, and 3. Seek help for that problem.

Dealing with substance abuse is a lot less spectacular than making a good grab on a job and delivering a viable patient to the ER, but it is, quite often, a matter of saving a life as well. Substance abuse on the job (and off, too) is a killer. Do what you have to do, YOUR life might be the one saved, down the road.
            Last edited by hwoods; 08-28-2006, 10:20 AM.
            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
            In memory of
            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

.04 is minimum realistic

You can aspire to .00, but the truth of the matter, setting the limit below .04 is bogus. There can be natural fermentation in the body that will cause readings below that even if you haven't been drinking.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingRon
                You can aspire to .00, but the truth of the matter, setting the limit below .04 is bogus. There can be natural fermentation in the body that will cause readings below that even if you haven't been drinking.
                Ok...I'll bite. I'd like to see the literature on this. You have a link or citation for reference?
                Steve Gallagher
                IACOJ BOT
                ----------------------------
                "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Comment

Playing devil's advocate, if you have a zero tolerance policy, you could get fired over taking the minimum adult dose of an OTC cough medicine - and I don't think that anyone intends for a substance abuse policy to do that.

In such a case .04 MIGHT be reasonable, but I'd defer to more competent scientific opinions in this case.
                  ullrichk
                  a.k.a.
                  perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Comment

It is important to remember that alcohol is a legal substance. You just can’t be under the influence on the job. How that is defined is subject to interpretation. ( Don't eat that rum cake before going to work.)Illegal substances are a different story, you test positive and your in a program or your gone. The thresholds for a positive test are very low.

Comment

Originally posted by needlejockey
                      That was a little odd sounding when I first read it. I'm hoping that it means that if you're ever caught with a BAC of .10 then you can be fired (this means off the job).
                      Perhaps the department regulation was written before the law changed to .08. I'm not sure about the state where this happened, but I know the .08 limit is fairly new in some states -- including here in Arkansas.
                      sigpic

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X