Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYSmokey
    replied
    That staircase is a real life example of a miracle that occurred on that tragic day. They need to be preserved and displayed for all future generations to learn what we lost on that day. I don't care if they "interfere" with a developer's plans or if someone in the neighborhood just doesn't want to look at it anymore because they want some high priced shopping instead.

Leave a comment:

• CALFFBOU
    replied
    Originally posted by res54cuecaptain
    the stairs are the only part of the towers that survived. they 'represent' our great countries ability to stand strong, even though the world (the towers) is comming down around us. it represents the americans who came together to help one another (it helping hundreds of people escape from the tower) on that tragic day. even though we were attacked on our own soil, we got through it and stood strong (the stairs still standing)

Yeah...What he said! The stairs are standing tall. WE as a nation stood tall. Why should they come down?

Keep the stairs! Support our troops!

Leave a comment:

• cozmosis
    replied
    Say what?

Originally posted by nyckftbl
    Many of the people who died lived outside the city. Should their families have a say?

So if we get attacked again, youre not gonna step up to help, "because its not within your boundaries" I'd say thats just as extreme as dragging someone through the streets. Real Patriotic bunch we got here.
    I don't see his post suggesting that at all. I, too, agree that much of the decisions about the property should be local. Local, of course, means the people who live or work in the area -- not people like me who've never had the chance to step foot in New York City.

Also, show me where he says he wouldn't help in the event of another attack. NOWHERE does he even remotely imply that! Don't take a conversation about what to do with a piece of the World Trade Center and try to make it into something it's not. The discussions on these forums often go to the crapper not because someone posts something extreme -- but because someone finds extreme words where there are none.

Leave a comment:

• cozmosis
    replied
    Originally posted by nyckftbl
    If you believe this is a balancing act, I suggest you read this thread. http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=38943

No mention of the date, randomness of the victims name in the so called memorial. Thats not practicallity.
    I'm not a big fan of the memorial as it is planned. However, I wasn't suggesting that the memorial would be a balance of practicality and emotion. I was saying that life in gernal should be -- that we can't be wholly emotional or practical all of the time.

Leave a comment:

• nyckftbl
    replied
    Originally posted by cozmosis
    That's still a little extreme. Actually, it's a lot extreme.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]No it's not. Mind you... I don't have an opinion for or against these stairs. But I don't think those advocating their removal are folks who don't care about the people in the towers that day. There is emotional thinking -- what you're doing -- and there is practicall thinking -- what the developers are doing. Life is about balacing those two.[/FONT]

Your argument doesn't make sense. This is about removing a piece of the building today -- not before the attacks. Saying that you want the stairs gone now does not mean that you didn't want them there on 9/11 to allow people to use them.
    If you believe this is a balancing act, I suggest you read this thread. http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=38943

No mention of the date, randomness of the victims name in the so called memorial. Thats not practicallity.

Leave a comment:

• nyckftbl
    replied
    Originally posted by BirkenVogt
    I agree. No one who is not from the city can have an opinion on this. That's what's great about boundaries. They can do whatever stuff they want and it doesn't bother me at all.

Birken
    Many of the people who died lived outside the city. Should their families have a say?

So if we get attacked again, youre not gonna step up to help, "because its not within your boundaries" I'd say thats just as extreme as dragging someone through the streets. Real Patriotic bunch we got here.

Leave a comment:

• Tillerman17
    replied
    Oh, and if your a radical Muslim and I somehow offended you with my last post, well, ........ this ones for you....

Leave a comment:

• Tillerman17
    replied
    They want them torn down so they can forget 911 ever happened, just like most of America has done. Rebuild so we can make money and forget that your building on a grave. Tear it down so we dont have to look at it anymore--IT's too painfull, they say...........WHAT A LOAD OF HORSECRAP.... PLACE IT AT THE MEMORIAL NO MATTER WHAT THE COST SO PEOPLE CAN LOOK AT IT EVERYDAY AND REMEMBER NO MATTER WHAT THAT THESE WORDS SHOULD BE ON OUR MINDS EVERYDAY-----NEVER FORGET-NEVER FORGIVE-NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• cozmosis
    replied
    no, anyone who doesnt think that those stairs are important should be shot.
    That's still a little extreme. Actually, it's a lot extreme.

saying that you want the stairs to be torn down is saying that you dont care about the fact that hundreds of people were saved because of those stairs.
    No it's not. Mind you... I don't have an opinion for or against these stairs. But I don't think those advocating their removal are folks who don't care about the people in the towers that day. There is emotional thinking -- what you're doing -- and there is practicall thinking -- what the developers are doing. Life is about balacing those two.

it is saying that they dont care that if those stairs werent there, there would have been a HELL of a lot more deaths in the towers.
    Your argument doesn't make sense. This is about removing a piece of the building today -- not before the attacks. Saying that you want the stairs gone now does not mean that you didn't want them there on 9/11 to allow people to use them.

Leave a comment:

• res54cuecaptain
    replied
    So if someone disagrees with you, they should be dragged out into the street and shot? Wow.
    no, anyone who doesnt think that those stairs are important should be shot. they saved hundreds of people from dying the horiffic death of the many people who tragically died on september 11, 2001.

this is what i think of the stairs: (it might be a little cheesy, but bear with me)
    the stairs are the only part of the towers that survived. they 'represent' our great countries ability to stand strong, even though the world (the towers) is comming down around us. it represents the americans who came together to help one another (it helping hundreds of people escape from the tower) on that tragic day. even though we were attacked on our own soil, we got through it and stood strong (the stairs still standing)

saying that you want the stairs to be torn down is saying that you dont care about the fact that hundreds of people were saved because of those stairs. it is saying that they dont care that if those stairs werent there, there would have been a HELL of a lot more deaths in the towers.

that being said, i still stand behind my first statement

Leave a comment:

• RESERVEFORNOW
    replied
    Originally posted by BirkenVogt
    I agree. No one who is not from the city can have an opinion on this.

Birken

Sorry. I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. Last time I checked, they attacked OUR country. Yes, NYC was one of the targets, but they were attacking America and the Red, White, and Blue. My star is on Old Glory and if it's all the same to you, my voice should be heard to let the stairs remain as well. Just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• BirkenVogt
    replied
    Since I didn't know anyone at the WTC on 9-11. And since I don't live or work in NYC. I don't see how I can have an opinion on this. Memorials will be built. I would imagine the decision to keep or destroy these stairs is a local matter.[/FONT]
    I agree. No one who is not from the city can have an opinion on this. That's what's great about boundaries. They can do whatever stuff they want and it doesn't bother me at all.

Birken

Leave a comment:

• CaptainGonzo
    replied
    i voted yes. anyone who voted no should, sadly but truely, be dragged out into the street and shot.

if anything it (the stairs, or even ground zero entirely) should be somehow made into a memorial, kind of like the flight 93 memorial.
    A tad extreme, aren't we?

Leave a comment:

• cozmosis
    replied
    i voted yes. anyone who voted no should, sadly but truely, be dragged out into the street and shot.
    So if someone disagrees with you, they should be dragged out into the street and shot? Wow.

Since I didn't know anyone at the WTC on 9-11. And since I don't live or work in NYC. I don't see how I can have an opinion on this. Memorials will be built. I would imagine the decision to keep or destroy these stairs is a local matter.

Leave a comment:

• res54cuecaptain
    replied

if anything it (the stairs, or even ground zero entirely) should be somehow made into a memorial, kind of like the flight 93 memorial.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X