• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• penney360
    replied
    fwfd

Hey Meynard14,

FWFD does not have a kelley day. I'm sorry you didn't make the cut. My brother also made a 92 on the test. You never know how far down they'll get though. They'll get through several people to get the first class, and they're definitely taking a second class. I'm not really sure where FWFD ranks in size. We still have a lot of room to grow. I hope you get in Austin's second class.

Leave a comment:

• maynerd14
    replied
    AFD works 24/48 and gets every 19th shift off. FWFD works 24/48 as well, but do yall get any kind of kelly day? Someone said that AFD is the 14th largest dept in the country - does that sound right? I wonder what FWFD is?I tested in FW last sat but I didn't do very good - scored 92 and 178 on the list. That won't make the cut so I guess there is no decision to make. They're taking the top 100 back. Does anyone know what number on the list FWFD got to last year? I know they called back a second group to go through the process. I really hope AFD hires that second class because that's what I'm counting on!!! Thanks for all the responses.

Leave a comment:

• penney360
    replied
    I appreciate the sentiment truck monkey. As for Chief Esparza I don't believe anything has changed. He is the acting Chief for right now. He's already taken the Plano job. I don't know how long they would be willing to wait. I guess they could wait a few weeks while everything settles a bit. We have other Deputy Chiefs that could stand in for awhile. Who knows how long it will take to find a replacement.

I do like our 8 am shift change. Most guys relieve at 7 am. I can't imagine 12 noon shift change, but our shift change is all I've ever known.

Leave a comment:

• truckmonkey42
    replied
    Penney 360 -We were all very sorry to hear about your chief's passing. He sounds like he was a no nonsense kind of chief and well respected.

Is there any news in what will happen to Chief Esparza now, since he was supposed to take the Plano job? Will he stay with FWFD for a while and let things settle?

Onto the ongoing discussion about the two departments. Here is a good link for anyone wanting to have a pension calculator.

http://www.prb.state.tx.us/tools/cal...s/annuity.html

You can see for yourself what difference the factor makes. AFD is getting another raise for the next two years. It is staggered according to rank.

I would much rather have FW's shift change time that's for sure.

Leave a comment:

• penney360
    replied
    Fwfd

Wow....sounds like AFD has a strong PAC. FWFD's retirement has a 3% multiplier and averages your high 3 years. You can retire when your age plus your years of service equal 80. AFD's pay is better than I thought. In Ft Worth after 3 years the base pay is around 50,000 for a firefighter. FWFD just got a 6.2% raise passed. Right now FWFD has a 5 year drop, but we're hoping to extend it eventually. Those who wish to work OT average about one full shift every 3 weeks.

Obviously being a firefighter is much more than about money. When we had the funeral for our Chief this week, we deeply appreciated the support from the area F.D.'s. I noticed several guys from AFD there. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• fireshawn
    replied
    I might be a little biased but Austin is where it is at. We have a factor of 3.3 for retirement, at the end of the current contract I will have 12 years, one promotion and make over 73K a year with no overtime and no educational pay. 27 years w/ no drop gets you to your current take home for life, if you work longer the more you make. I know it isn't all about money, but it sure helps. We have newer equipment, we are going to all wet ladders so even the truckies can play sometimes. I did test for Ft Worth when I was at TCU but I have family ties here and tested and got on first try.

Leave a comment:

• Engine32
    replied
    Originally posted by penney360
    I agree with the Austin FF that the two cities are comparable. The FWFD has 4 man staffing. I doubt that AFD has a better retirement than FWFD. The pay is very close........the cost of living isn't. Both departments are well respected. FW test is OCT. 7th.
    Austin's has to be tough to beat, with 66% at 20 years and 90% at 30 years. Especially when you consider all you have to make is Lt. to get a six digit salary (including incentive pay and minimal OT). On top of that, they have a DROP that allows 7 years right now, but should be 10 soon.

Leave a comment:

• BFDLT32
    replied
    Originally posted by jcshaw
    Hi everyone. My name is Justin and I am in the process of a career change, and I believe being a firefighter would be the perfect fit for me. I have been researching and studying all of the major Texan city FD's to choose where I would rather start off. Before I get into the questions, please let me tell you a little about myself. I am 24 years old, married with a 10 month old. I have been in the Navy for a little over 6 years and actively participate in both the War on Terror in Afghanistan and Operation Iraqi Freedom. I have an Associates Degree, still plugging away at my Bachelor's, and have been through many advanced shipboard fire fighting schools that the Navy offers. My jobs in the Navy have included being a shipboard Quartermaster (Navigation), and a Surface Weather Technician at my current duty station in Point Mugu, CA. I love the Navy for it has guided me on a path for success with my life, but I have have come to my crossroads and I will be separating in July on next year after 7 years of honorable service. The biggest question I have for all of you already serving the people in one of the most rewarding jobs, fire fighting; what can I do to increase my opportunity to be selected? Are there prerequisites prior to applying that would help me out, certificates, on-the-job training, classes, EMT, anything that would increase my chance for being picked up in particularly AFD or FWFD? I would greatly appreciate any help you guys could give me on this matter. Thank you very much for you time and support. God Bless.
    Very Respectfully,
    Justin Shaw
    US NAVY
    Fort Worth is going to be testing in the near future. Here is link to the employment page:

http://www.fwfd.net/employment.htm

Good luck wherever you decide.

Leave a comment:

• rjtoc2
    replied
    Fort Worth FD

Ft. Worth is EXTREMELY competitive due to the ex-military applicants.

Leave a comment:

• penney360
    replied
    fwfd

I agree with the Austin FF that the two cities are comparable. The FWFD has 4 man staffing. I doubt that AFD has a better retirement than FWFD. The pay is very close........the cost of living isn't. Both departments are well respected. FW test is OCT. 7th.

Leave a comment:

• Engine32
    replied
    Sounds cool!

A lot of guys here work other FD jobs, so that could make it a little complicated, but I bet traffic's a lot better at 10:00.

Leave a comment:

• SAFD46Truck
    replied
    It happens sometimes, such as if you are working the shift previous to yours at another house for someone. We all kind of accept that it is a rarity and that overall this system works to our advantage. I like the 10am relief time, plenty of time to do stuff in the morning before coming in, you have almost all day when you get off....and you miss the traffic to boot. All good.

Leave a comment:

• paets1
    replied
    Originally posted by SAFD46Truck
    So are San Antonio's. Although different stations sometimes set their own relief times, at my house its 10am.

Ever have a problem with guys not following the unofficial times? It would suck to come in at 10 one morning and not get relieved until 12 the next day.

Leave a comment:

• SAFD46Truck
    replied
    Originally posted by Engine32
    Austin's shifts are from 12:00 noon til noon the next day. Not sure if that's a factor or not.
    So are San Antonio's. Although different stations sometimes set their own relief times, at my house its 10am.

Leave a comment:

• Engine32
    replied
    Austin's shifts are from 12:00 noon til noon the next day. Not sure if that's a factor or not.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X