Fort Worth FD vs Austin FD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Worth FD vs Austin FD

I'm having a very difficult time deciding which department that I want to work for. I have talked to guys from both dept's and researched them both as much as I can and they both look like very good dept's and I would be honored to work for either one. But does anyone have any info or an opinion on which one is a better dept?

I know who I'd work for..... the one that offers me a job.

Comment

Originally posted by maynerd14
      I'm having a very difficult time deciding which department that I want to work for. I have talked to guys from both dept's and researched them both as much as I can and they both look like very good dept's and I would be honored to work for either one. But does anyone have any info or an opinion on which one is a better dept?
      No offense -- but I don't think you get to choose. They pick you... not the other way around. My captain tested for several years before he was blessed with a fire department job. I was luckier and got a job fairly quickly... but only after testing and interviewing in multiple cities.

There is nothing wrong with setting yourself a goal -- to be hired by one department or the other. But you should be prepared with a contingency in case that doesn't happen.
      sigpic

Comment

Yes of course, I understand that you have to go where you can get the job, I have been testing all over for the past year and I am going to the first place that offers me the job. In fact I am taking a job next month with a different dept. But the point is I want to work for the best and I will not stop until I am with the best and it is truly where I want to be. I have done well enough to get into Austin's second class in the spring but no official job offer yet, which is why I am taking a job next month with a diff dept because it is a for sure thing. But Fort Worth is testing this fall - I tested there last year and came very close and I am confident that I have a very good chance, so I am trying to decide if I want to test again.

The point of this post was to see if there was something that I didn't know about either Fort Worth Fire Dept or Austin Fire Dept that would make one a better place to work if you did have a choice. Hypothetically lets say you have an offer from both places, which one is the best?

Comment

How do you rate the best? Pay, # of fires, size of city, EMS or no EMS, age of apparatus, how many committees their chiefs are on, promotional opportunities, special ops opportunities, word of mouth, etc...

All of those are easy enough to research if they matter to you...I'd personally pick Austin because I'd like to get a place in the hill country, but that has nothing to do with the department other than location.

Comment

What city has the biggest ghetto? If you don't already know, ghetto's equal fires. End of discussion.

Comment

If there were ever two similar Texas departments it would be AFD and FWFD. Fort Worth does see more fire I think. If I had a choice (I work for AFD), I would be just as happy to work either place. I just happened to get picked up in Austin. Both cities have quints. I think AFD has more staffing. We run quints with 6, FW with 4. Single houses have 4 FF'sfor AFD, I think FW runs 3 man engines. Don't quote me on that. Fort Worth buys General Safety and American LaChance apparatus, AFD buys Pierce. That may mean they are more budget conscious, because our new engines are like $400,000!!!! YIKES!
              I think we at AFD get paid a little bit more, but cost of living is more. Retirement for AFD is better I believe.
              In all honesty if both called me at the same time, I do not know which I would choose. Also it would depend on where I live now. If you live near FW, you may already have family, friends, church, etc.
              One thing you can't argue is each departments commitment to safety. AFD has shift safety BC's, shift training FTO's and even Shift field medical officers. AFD has one of the few Wellness centers in the nation with our own doctor on payroll.
              If their stats are still right I think they have about 850 FF's staffing 39 or 40 stations. AFD has 1000+ staffing 43 stations with 44 almost done and 45 ready to get started soon.
              So all that ramble to say, we are very comparable cities. Let me know if you have any specifics about AFD.

Comment

Fwfd

I do know that, according to a Fire Chief article I read on FWFD and their adoption of CAFS, that they do now have 4 man staffing on their engines. As a University of Texas student in Austin, I have to say that AFD guys have a sweet gig.

Comment

FD Questions

Hi everyone. My name is Justin and I am in the process of a career change, and I believe being a firefighter would be the perfect fit for me. I have been researching and studying all of the major Texan city FD's to choose where I would rather start off. Before I get into the questions, please let me tell you a little about myself. I am 24 years old, married with a 10 month old. I have been in the Navy for a little over 6 years and actively participate in both the War on Terror in Afghanistan and Operation Iraqi Freedom. I have an Associates Degree, still plugging away at my Bachelor's, and have been through many advanced shipboard fire fighting schools that the Navy offers. My jobs in the Navy have included being a shipboard Quartermaster (Navigation), and a Surface Weather Technician at my current duty station in Point Mugu, CA. I love the Navy for it has guided me on a path for success with my life, but I have have come to my crossroads and I will be separating in July on next year after 7 years of honorable service. The biggest question I have for all of you already serving the people in one of the most rewarding jobs, fire fighting; what can I do to increase my opportunity to be selected? Are there prerequisites prior to applying that would help me out, certificates, on-the-job training, classes, EMT, anything that would increase my chance for being picked up in particularly AFD or FWFD? I would greatly appreciate any help you guys could give me on this matter. Thank you very much for you time and support. God Bless.
                  Very Respectfully,
                  Justin Shaw
                  US NAVY

Comment

Think about DOD civilian firefighter!

Since, you are in the military, ever thought of a DOD civilian firefighter. There are alot bases in Texas. You might want to check out the CDC firefighter courses from the Air Force, before you get out. If you like you can email me about some information.
                    TonyBlaze
                    Career Fireghter/EMT-B
                    Volunteer Firefighter/EMT-B

Comment

What about San Antonio, Houston, or Dallas? Also all large municipal departments in Texas. All of them have pretty good webpages that should help you out in finding more about each dept

San Antonio's right down the road from Austin and Dallas is obviously near Ft. Worth. I'd test for them all.

Comment

Austin's shifts are from 12:00 noon til noon the next day. Not sure if that's a factor or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Engine32
                          Austin's shifts are from 12:00 noon til noon the next day. Not sure if that's a factor or not.
                          So are San Antonio's. Although different stations sometimes set their own relief times, at my house its 10am.

Comment

Originally posted by SAFD46Truck
                            So are San Antonio's. Although different stations sometimes set their own relief times, at my house its 10am.

Ever have a problem with guys not following the unofficial times? It would suck to come in at 10 one morning and not get relieved until 12 the next day.

Comment

It happens sometimes, such as if you are working the shift previous to yours at another house for someone. We all kind of accept that it is a rarity and that overall this system works to our advantage. I like the 10am relief time, plenty of time to do stuff in the morning before coming in, you have almost all day when you get off....and you miss the traffic to boot. All good.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X