Cats in trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cats in trees

I always thought the best "cat tool" was a shotgun, would have been helpful for self defense as well...

Man opens fire when crew refuses to rescue animal from tree

Updated: 5:47 p.m. ET Aug 19, 2006

KINGMAN, Ariz. - A man angry at firefighters who refused to rescue a cat from a tree was arrested after he started shooting at the fire crew, officials said.
    Jeffrey Cullen, 58, was charged with four felony counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, Mohave County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Trish Carter said.
    A three-person fire crew went to Cullen’s home Thursday when he reported a tree fire, but found no blaze, Hualapai Valley Fire Department spokeswoman Sandy Edwards said.
    Instead, Cullen told firefighters he wanted a cat rescued from his tree and knew they would only respond to a fire call, Edwards said. A battalion chief told Cullen to call animal control or wait for the cat to get hungry and come down.
    Cullen apparently didn’t like the response, Edwards said.
    “He went back into the house, got a small black revolver and came outside shooting,” she said.
    The firefighters and a 12-year-old boy who had come to see the fire truck ran for their lives, Edwards said. No one was injured.
    Deputies arrested Cullen after a brief standoff and struggle.
    © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Originally posted by gunnyv
    I always thought the best "cat tool" was a shotgun, would have been helpful for self defense as well...

Man opens fire when crew refuses to rescue animal from tree

Updated: 5:47 p.m. ET Aug 19, 2006

KINGMAN, Ariz. - A man angry at firefighters who refused to rescue a cat from a tree was arrested after he started shooting at the fire crew, officials said.
    Jeffrey Cullen, 58, was charged with four felony counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, Mohave County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Trish Carter said.
    A three-person fire crew went to Cullen’s home Thursday when he reported a tree fire, but found no blaze, Hualapai Valley Fire Department spokeswoman Sandy Edwards said.
    Instead, Cullen told firefighters he wanted a cat rescued from his tree and knew they would only respond to a fire call, Edwards said. A battalion chief told Cullen to call animal control or wait for the cat to get hungry and come down.
    Cullen apparently didn’t like the response, Edwards said.
    “He went back into the house, got a small black revolver and came outside shooting,” she said.
    The firefighters and a 12-year-old boy who had come to see the fire truck ran for their lives, Edwards said. No one was injured.
    Deputies arrested Cullen after a brief standoff and struggle.
    © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    Well it is Kingman......that seems to be where are the nut jobs are hiding out now days.

I am glad nobody was injured or worse.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Comment

I have to agree with you there. It does seem that there is a disproportionately higher number of..........um........shall we just say........."Odd" incidents with Kingman, AZ in the story.

Sort of like the disproportionately high number of weird political thoughts coming out of Cambridge, MA. Those who have been there or live in Mass. know exactly what I mean.

As for the cats in a tree story, many on these boards have posted the opinion that it is great PR for the department. I tend to agree with that thought. I realize that you do not see cat skeletons in trees all that often, but you can look at these incidents as a training exercise at the same time as making an ally of a citizen in your community. Might come in handy when you need a pay raise, new pump (or better yet....a ladder truck to rescue more cats ) or additional manpower.
      Last edited by DaSharkie; 08-20-2006, 12:12 AM.
      "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Comment

We have had a few calls direct to the station from citizens requesting animal rescue. We always assist if at all possible. What's the big harm? A quick trip down the street, throw up a ladder, bring down fluffy for thrilled owner, and go away leaving our taxpayers loving us all the more. This whole effort takes about 15 minutes, and the only problem so far is a few scratches from ungrateful felines.

Comment

Originally posted by Workingfire22
          What's the big harm?
          the only problem so far is a few scratches from ungrateful felines.
          Risk vs. gain

Risk:
          Firefighter gets scratched
          Firefighter gets scratched and develops infection, disease or other complication
          Firefighter gets bitten
          Firefighter gets bitten and develops infection, disease or other complication
          Kitty freaks out, starts scratching and biting, firefighter falls from ladder and breaks arm
          Kitty freaks out, starts scratching and biting, firefighter falls from ladder and breaks leg
          Kitty freaks out, starts scratching and biting, firefighter falls from ladder and breaks neck and is paralyzed
          Kitty freaks out, starts scratching and biting, firefighter falls from ladder and breaks neck and is killed
          Kitty freaks out, starts scratching and biting, firefighter falls from ladder, hits head and is a vegetable for the rest of their life
          Kitty freaks out, starts scratching and biting, firefighter falls from ladder and hits head and is killed
          Bad PR when we tell Mrs. Smith we won't get kitty out of tree

Gain:
          Good PR

I think we need to make every effort to cast the fire service in a positive light and garner as much good publicity as we can. I do not think the risk to our personnel to get kitty out of the tree is an acceptable risk for the potential gain.

Comment

Originally posted by gefd901
            Risk vs. gain

Risk:
            Firefighter gets scratched and develops infection, disease or other complication
            Firefighter gets bitten
            Kitty freaks out, starts scratching and biting, firefighter falls from ladder and breaks arm
            Kitty freaks out, starts scratching and biting, firefighter falls from ladder and breaks leg
            Kitty freaks out, starts scratching and biting, firefighter falls from ladder and breaks neck and is paralyzed
            Kitty freaks out, starts scratching and biting, firefighter falls from ladder and breaks neck and is killed
            Kitty freaks out, starts scratching and biting, firefighter falls from ladder, hits head and is a vegetable for the rest of their life
            Kitty freaks out, starts scratching and biting, firefighter falls from ladder and hits head and is killed

Gain:
            Good PR

I think we need to make every effort to cast the fire service in a positive light and garner as much good publicity as we can. I do not think the risk to our personnel to get kitty out of the tree is an acceptable risk for the potential gain.
            This is why we dont do it here. Most people understand when we tell them we cant go out to get the cat out of the tree.

Once you have a FF get hurt or killed doing this everyone will be up in arms of it - suddenly the PR factor goes out the window.

You want the kitty out of the tree - be patient. There is a reason they are up in the tree in the first place.
            Last edited by SSTONER; 08-20-2006, 03:06 AM.
            Warm Regards,
            Shawn Stoner
            EMT-B

Comment

All I want to know is...has ANYONE....ever seen a cats skeleton in a tree? I know I haven't......
              IACOJ Member

Comment

Originally posted by gefd901
                Risk vs. gain

Risk:
                Firefighter gets bitten

Gain:
                Good PR

I agree 1 Million Percent. I was acting Captain one shift. We received one of these calls via silent alarm. We took a ride over, (mind you remaining available on radio) and took a look- Kitty about 60 feet up in a large red oak. I spoke to Kitty's mommy and advised her that I would not commit the apparatus or any of my people, especially considering kitty was 60' + or - a few. I asked her what stimulated kitty at feeding time.....she replied he came running at the sound of the can opener. So after a gentle hint, she went in the house and got the can opener, plugged it into the outlet on the deck, we shut the truck off, and let me tell you, Kitty did the best impersonation of Mario Andretti I have ever seen coming down outta his perch.

Moral of the story: Dont commit manpower or apparatus, but still try to help and assist the public, maintaining that good image.
                "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

I recall a story from the late 70s out of Los Angeles about a truck company being flagged down by mom and young daughter because the cat was in the tree for over a day.

The dept had a policy of not doing the "cat in tree" rescue. The Capt thought it would be a good PR move and they used a ground ladder the reach kitty with out incident. The cat was given to the daughter and both mom and daughter thanked the crew.

As they pulled away, they heard a scream. They stopped and found that daughter had put the cat down, it ran under the truck, and was now road pizza.

The Capt. got a few days off without pay for that one.

Stay Safe
                  IACOJ

Comment

As they pulled away, they heard a scream. They stopped and found that daughter had put the cat down, it ran under the truck, and was now road pizza.

The Capt. got a few days off without pay for that one.
                    Time Unit Committed to Incident: 10 mins

1 Week "vacation" without pay: $1000

The irony of saving the kitty, only to make "road pizza": priceless

Some things money can't buy, for everything else...there's Bastardcard®.

Maybe it's just the usage of "road pizza", but that little anecdote was freakin hilarious from my POV...
                    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Comment

Stupid............

What was the problem with that??....... They solved the problem by ensuring that the Cat wouldn't be climbing the tree again......
                      Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                      In memory of
                      Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                      Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

I have never seen a cat skeleton in a tree, so what's the big deal?

Comment

Never had the cat in the tree call but,,,,we became the butt of many jokes for a while for several "goat stuck in the fence" calls in a couple weeks time. A lady here in town had a couple acres of pasture she put a dozen or so gaots in. Since the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence their horns would keep them from pulling their heads back through.

The first couple times we had a good laugh but it got tiresome, so we told her to buy the chicken wire and we'd come help her put it up to keep the critters on their side of the fence. At one our annual fundraisers she gave us a check for $250!

Comment

Originally posted by VinnieB
                            All I want to know is...has ANYONE....ever seen a cats skeleton in a tree? I know I haven't......
                            LOL. We had a dispatcher that used to tell people to put a can of tuna fish at the bottom of the tree/pole/whatever. When the caller kept insisting that the FD respond, he used to break out that line
                            Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've participated in one cat-in-tree rescue. The whole good PR and crying children thing. Let me tell you, it was NOT worth it. The cat was not interested in being rescued. In fact, it was downright ****ed off. It made every attempt at killing the FF on the ladder. Had it not been for full structure firefighting PPE, he probably would have succeeded in killing the FF. Once on the ground, it bolted into the woods like a rocket. Probably never came back either.
                              Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X