Denis Leary and the donation of the Boston Fire Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denis Leary and the donation of the Boston Fire Boat

I have been a big rescue me fan since the day it came out. It shows that firefighters are normal people(normal can be taken out of context here) and that they have problems too. But, after Tuesday, I have no problem saying that he shafted and screwed a lot of people.

On tuesday of this week(8/14) Denis Leary and the firefighters foundation did a noble effort by giving the Boston Fire Department a new fireboat. That same day, there was a chairty event hosted by the Denis Leary firefighters foundation across from Fenway Park in Boston. The paperwork said that Denis Leary, Lenny Clarke and the cast of Rescue me were going to be there. For buying this several hundred dollar ticket, you were going to get to meet them at a VIP reception, have a dinner cooked by some famous Boston chef, and then go to a Red Sox game. I was like sweet, what a cool way to get to meet the cast of Rescue me and at the same time, help out others by donating to a good cause.

It was a 2 hour event. At hour one of the event, not one person had showed yet. They have a state set up and they have pictures of the boat showing on a TV monitor. They are serving Lobster Rolls and miniture corn dogs for an appetizer. Then we find out, there was not going to be a dinner. So, I'm okay with that. I wanted some Fenway hot dogs anyway. So I look to my right, and there is a bunch of noise and camera pictures going off. I'm thinking: All Right, they have arrived. Me and my buddy get up, who brought a helmet to get signed. We go over there, and there is no one. Were like Whats the big Deal.

The girl next to us says "Hey, I got my picture with Denis Leary."

I'm like what the hell.

She tells me that he walked in, got mad at all the photographs being taken of him and walked out along with the cast of Rescue me EXCEPT Lenny Clarke, who stayed for like 15 mins before he was dragged out by some agents. I was livid. There was no speech, no dedication, no autographs except by Lenny Clarke, who was cool. But everyone there was ****ed off. I know I paid for a good cause but we all got lied too. We all know what a firefighter makes. It took me nearly a months pay just to fly up and meet Denis, Lenny, and the other cast. And for what? I got to shake Lenny's hand who was cool, but Denis, and the rest of the cast got mad so they left everyone hanging.

I'm venting and just felt like telling everyone what happened. Then, I get told to read this article on CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/0....ap/index.html

He gave out handshakes and hugs to any firefighter who wanted them, and signed whatever they tossed in front of him.
    Yeah Right.
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Not to defend or anything but is it possible you missed the activities by chance ? - I read the CNN article and there seems to be plenty of positave reactions. - I know that with crowds, confusion, and throw in a little drama and sometimes you can miss the main reason you've attended something. I've had it happen.

Comment

I think you took that sentence from the CNN article a little out of context:

"Leary... met with numerous Boston firefighters Tuesday... He gave out handshakes and hugs to any firefighter who wanted them, and signed whatever they tossed in front of him."

They were not speaking specifically of the event that you attended. In fact, the article did not mention a fundraising reception at all. I'd say it's very likely that while Leary was in Boston on Tuesday, he did in fact meet with many Boston FFs and shake hands and sign things, as the article stated.

It's unfortunate that you did not get what you expected at the fundraising event. It does sound rather disappointing.
      -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
      Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

Comment

I am sorry to hear about trip. I think you are entitled to a refund. I have attended affairs such as dedications. A schedule of events are listed usually. Not all events take place as described by the book (ofcourse you know this) but that is just plain unfair. Your entitled to get what you paid for.

I am a huge fan as well because of his interest in Firefighting and ofcourse his raw humor on Rescue Me. I have interest in fundraising also. I was looking at one of the gala events coming up and thought about attending this affair. I hope I don't have the same experience. Once again I am sorry to hear about what happened.

Comment

Does anyone have a picture of this new Fire Boat??

Comment

I'd trust a Brother's word over the Clinton News Network any day. Everyday they prove that they are the most biased bleeding heart liberal "news" channel on T.V.

Comment

Originally posted by RFDACM
              I'd trust a Brother's word over the Clinton News Network any day. Everyday they prove that they are the most biased bleeding heart liberal "news" channel on T.V.
              Im sure Fox news had much better coverage of the event, huh?

I'd take the brother's word over any of the news networks.
              Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
              (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Comment

Go to http://www.learyfirefightersfoundation.org/ and click on the red sox tickets and read the bottom deal. That is what I paid good hard earned money for. 315 for the ticket plus flight and hotel. I'm no Chef but I think if you'd be famous, it would be for cooking something a little more equiste than Corn Dogs. Like I said, me and my friend had been waiting for an hour when in walks the camera crew and all this photography starts going off. Everyone is like "he's here." I get up and bam, he is gone and everyone is like What the Hell. All I can say is I give props to Uncle Teddy for staying a little bit longer. But, for someone who is gaining recognition for working on behalf of firefighters, he screwed some brothers.

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Comment

Is there anywhere online that advertises the bill of goods you were supposed to get in return for the admission price?
                  sigpic

Comment

Looks like it is under Purchase Boston Red Sox tickets and VIP Packages next to the words "Dear Friend" on http://www.learyfirefightersfoundation.org/
                    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

Originally posted by JHR1985
                      Go to http://www.learyfirefightersfoundation.org/ and click on the red sox tickets and read the bottom deal. That is what I paid good hard earned money for. 315 for the ticket plus flight and hotel. I'm no Chef but I think if you'd be famous, it would be for cooking something a little more equiste than Corn Dogs. Like I said, me and my friend had been waiting for an hour when in walks the camera crew and all this photography starts going off. Everyone is like "he's here." I get up and bam, he is gone and everyone is like What the Hell. All I can say is I give props to Uncle Teddy for staying a little bit longer. But, for someone who is gaining recognition for working on behalf of firefighters, he screwed some brothers.
                      If I was you, honestly, I would send a ltr to him personally and say what your last sentence says, that he screwed some brothers. I am sure that was not his intentions. Leary is pretty hardcore and I am sure a few kind words of praise but then a kick in the teeth at the end for what happened would let him know he needs to apologize. I am sure it is important to him that he does not screw over firefighters. He is not a brother except on TV. He is still a moody famous movie star. He is human and showed his *** and someone should say something. I think your statement would go right to the heart and you may just meet him personally. (if you still want to)
                      Last edited by firetruckred; 08-18-2006, 09:15 PM.

Comment

When I'm at work Sunday, I'll start writing. I dont want my money back. It was for a good cause(least I hope so.) I flew several hours for a handshake and maybe an autograph. 10 to 1 I never hear anything back except Silence. But, life goes on. I just had to rant about this.

Comment

When I'm at work Sunday, I'll start writing. I dont want my money back. It was for a good cause(least I hope so.) I flew several hours for a handshake and maybe an autograph. 10 to 1 I never hear anything back except Silence. But, life goes on. I just had to rant about this.
                          Well there ya go. You have two choices... rant to us or directly to him. Or actully one more... not at all. Obviously traveling from TX? spending the time and effort one would hope it was worth it. Most vacations dont turn out as expected but that my friend I think was unfair. We all know it isn't about the money, it is about principles.

Comment

well, for an update, I sent my letter in. It was around 2 pages long. I thanked him for the attention he has made for firefighter awareness and thanked him for all the good the foundation he set up has done. But then I pointed out that he not only shamed himself but the foundation by shunning brothers who paid good money to come see him. Overall I wasnt hateful but I just wanted him to know that he opened the eyes of a bunch of people as to how he really view the people he supports. Course, more than likely, I never hear a thing from him. They probably read my letter and busted out laughing.

Comment

well, for an update, I sent my letter in. It was around 2 pages long. I thanked him for the attention he has made for firefighter awareness and thanked him for all the good the foundation he set up has done. But then I pointed out that he not only shamed himself but the foundation by shunning brothers who paid good money to come see him. Overall I wasn't hateful but I just wanted him to know that he opened the eyes of a bunch of people as to how he really view the people he supports. Course, more than likely, I never hear a thing from him. They probably read my letter and busted out laughing.
                              Funny, I was just thinking yesterday (honestly I was) " I wonder what happened with that ff and his letter to the Leary Foundation" and here you are.

Just a note of encouragement. I think your letter sounded very good. I think what you said is fair and came from the heart. You may be right, they may not acknowledge it but it is good that you took the time to write them and tell them. Most people would not, it may make a difference down the road.

By the way in case your interested their is an event I hear that is worth attending. The Bravest Bash in New York.

http://www.learyfirefightersfoundation.org/

A little on the expensive side for some but definitely worth it for laughs, memories and of course the cause. Check out the pic of last years event.
                              Last edited by firetruckred; 09-03-2006, 02:39 PM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X