Thousands evacuated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thousands evacuated

This story was "big" enough to reach all the way to a west coast newspaper...

Thousands evacuated, 15 injured after fire on New York subway tracks

Canadian Press Published: Thursday, August 17, 2006

NEW YORK -- Thousands of people on two New York subway trains were evacuated by firefighters and more than a dozen suffered minor injuries after a track fire broke out and smoke filled a platform at the height of the evening rush hour Wednesday.

The fire department said between 3,000 and 4,000 people on the B line in Brooklyn were evacuated from two trains that had come from the Manhattan Bridge, and 15, including three firefighters, suffered minor injuries including smoke-inhalation.

During the evacuation power on the elevated tracks was shut off so riders could walk safely from the trains to the subway platform, the fire department said.

Most of the injured were taken to a hospital for treatment after smoke was reported around 6 p.m. EDT at the DeKalb Avenue stop on the B line, which runs between Brooklyn and the Bronx and passes through Manhattan.

New York City Transit, which runs the subway system, said it believed there was a fire just beyond the platform on a piece of wood that supports the rails. It didn't cite a cause.

Service was affected on parts of the B, D, F, V and Q lines.

Train traffic on the Manhattan Bridge was restored by about 9:30 p.m., with some delays, New York City Transit said. Service during the Thursday morning rush hour was not expected to be affected.

Several subway riders complained the trains had no air-conditioning and it took more than an hour before firefighters arrived to rescue them, pulling some of them out through windows.

Subway rider Danilo Ignacio said the heat in his subway car was almost unbearable and he had to calm an asthmatic woman who was having trouble breathing.

"It was almost like being in a sardine can but it's being cooked while you're on it," Ignacio said.

© The Canadian Press 2006

Hope everyone who suffered injury recovers quickly and well.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

Was hoping some of you NYC guys might have a better handle on that one. Sounds like it was a real bugger of a call, but then anything in the subway probably is. Although I have not seen this report in any of the more local papers.... funny what is considered "newsworthy" and what is not to one location over another eh.
      If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

It was my understanding the fire was put out with a handline consisting of no less than 22 lengths of hose. (That is 1100ft.)

FTM-PTB

Comment

I remember hearing that call on breavest.com
          Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse