X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firetruckred
    replied
    Originally posted by SPFDRum
    Really, where did you get those facts? I looked on both the IAFF and NVFC web sites, even tried google, couldn't find any fact based info to support this.
    Not everything that happens in the fire service is documented, everyone knows this. I am speaking about personal stories told to me. Many stories.

Now you can take a look on line at WFSI and look at the number of female FF's in SC compared to the rest of the United States, namely Florida. Last I looked South Carolina has 35 and Florida has 775. I think. They mention that the numbers are not including all females serving, but pretty close. There is a reason for those numbers. Will I get into on here, No.

So you asked where I get my facts. Not some website or important organization but from many people who have told their personal stories. Not just female friends either, actually alot of the stories are from brother FF's that have had their significant other become a FF or have gone through the same thing. Not everything is in writing. Especially the truth. You know lawsuits and all. America and their love for lawsuits makes me sick. Most of the things that happen along the lines of discrimination are behind closed door. Some places like small towns like to keep it there.

Now I love (most) the guys on here. They are great and I would love to be at anyone of there Depts. but you have a few that will never accept that a woman should be in the fire service. They are entitled to their opinion as I am mine.
    Last edited by firetruckred; 08-28-2006, 12:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SPFDRum
    replied
    Baileydonk- I want you on my side!

Leave a comment:

• kfiregirL
    replied
    Baileydonk- well said!

Leave a comment:

• baileydonk
    replied
    Originally posted by mitllesmertz1
    We have about 20% women here, more than average I guess.
    But I still call myself a "Fireman" when asked whaty I do.
    IT seems that "firefighter" was established to make us all generic, some attempt at gender neutrality.
    I am comfortable with myself and what I am, I feel no need to hide or be embarrassed by the fact that I am a man.
    No problem with that. You are indeed a fireman, and no need to be embarrassed about it. Lacking my own personal "hose", I am not a fireman...

Although my mom takes great pleasure in telling her friends "My daughter's a fireman". It cracks her up.

I am always amused by the attempts of some of the men in my department to be overly P.C. by using gender-neutral speech. I personally couldn't care less if someone refers to our department's "firemen" or talks about "manning" the station. The funniest one I've heard was when I was first learning how to repack the LDH in the hose bed, and the guy said to me "Sometimes you just have to man-handle it... or woman-handle it, as the case may be". I laughed so hard I almost fell off the engine. There's a reason why the term is "man-handle", guys - it's because of the way men tend to bang on something to make it fit.

Here's a great story: After some training at a neighboring town's department, I was hanging out with an elderly man, a retired Captain from that department. He was talking about putting out brush fires with a bucket of water and a gunny sack, and he stood up tall and said "That was back when firefighters were MEN!" I laughed and said "Yeah, everyone knows that firefighters these days are all a bunch of pu$$ies!", and that made him laugh hard and we were instant friends. I don't think he was trying to insult me or my gender in any way, I think he just meant that things were harder then - gear was heavier, equipment we have now was not available, and safety was not so important. Yeah, he might have also said it so see if it'd push my buttons. Really, I thought it was just hilarious.

Leave a comment:

• kfiregirL
    replied
    fflyn17 - I have to totally disagree with you! Out of the 36 to 40 women who are in the field in my department, I can honestly tell you that I do not know of one female who has a complaint that is any different then the men or have been forced out of this profession. Times have changed, it appears to me from reading many posts that the major problems appear to be up north.

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    I think perhaps what the point of the numbers (not necessarily based in statistical fact) is a generic statement. As example in the news from Richmond, British Columbia their FD has been under some heavy fire for female discriminations and one reported suicide due to. These events have been happening there for the past 3 years that I can remember, from the original report, which was posted here in the forums.

Also, many people (no matter the job description) often do not formerly report their unhappiness or difficulties - doesn't stop them from voicing said unhappiness. The question comes around: What are "you" going to do to help solve the problem? (This is "You" in the Queen Victoria "We" group format - not the one person you.) Like my old Capt used to say, "Fawk, Fight, or Hold the Light."

Leave a comment:

• SPFDRum
    replied
    Be aware that for every one female that says things are OK in her department, there are probably 20 who were forced to give up what they loved and were good at because of attitudes like those shown here. Hopefully this number will decline.
    Very true and a sad fact.
    Really, where did you get those facts? I looked on both the IAFF and NVFC web sites, even tried google, couldn't find any fact based info to support this.

Leave a comment:

• firetruckred
    replied
    Originally posted by fflynn17
    Be aware that for every one female that says things are OK in her department, there are probably 20 who were forced to give up what they loved and were good at because of attitudes like those shown here. Hopefully this number will decline.
    Very true and a sad fact. : (

Leave a comment:

• NmFyrFytr505
    replied
    Well when i saw this thread i wasnt gonna go near it, but what the hell. Man woman or whatever you are doesnt matter what sex you are in this job as long as you have the heart and drive to do it. I think the whole mentallity of most with women in the fire service is the expected whinning or i have cramps crap or emotional drain it has, but if most of you here have been in the service long enough you have seen some men that are worse than most women with the whinning and complaining, and some cant hold up their end. Im not siding with either side of who thinks they can do the job better. like i said earlier if you have the drive and the heart to do it, good luck and expect to have the most fullfilling career in your life. Oh ovaries are bigger than testicles...lol and if we as men had em well ill leave that end open

Leave a comment:

• fflynn17
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mitllesmertz1
    replied
    Originally posted by RFRDxplorer
    Are you kidding me?

The term firefighter was introduced in the 70's for a reason.
    We have about 20% women here, more than average I guess.
    But I still call myself a "Fireman" when asked whaty I do.
    IT seems that "firefighter" was established to make us all generic, some attempt at gender neutrality.
    I am comfortable with myself and what I am, I feel no need to hide or be embarrassed by the fact that I am a man.

Leave a comment:

• mcfd45
    replied
    First off i would like to say good luck. And all firstdue does is stir the poo about women in the firehall. Just please don't whine as much as some I have had the pleasure of being with. I went to a residental building collapse training in MO and this lady was complaining at the end after we found the dummy. She said the following " you know they didn't put him in an easy to find spot." my reply was " if your house fell on you, you wouldn't be easy to find either lady." i then walked away.
    J

Leave a comment:

• gadove71
    replied
    Thanks for input

Thank you everyone for your imput, I will take your advice and press on.
    I passed my entrance test, so now I just have to be chosen for an interview and then pass the physical part.
    I am one step closer to my goal of being a firefighter.
    Thanks for taking the time to give me your side of the story.

Leave a comment:

• Dickey
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmint
    Tr I personally believe that the only place in the fire service for women is in the Ladies Auxiliary. In my opinion, it's the man's job to protect women from those types of situations.
    No offense pal but haven't you retired yet??

If you can't change with the times, it's time to change, RETIRE!!

Leave a comment:

• Dickey
    replied
    KfiregirL summed it all up..........my thoughts exactly with one thing to add...

NO DRAMA!!

Oh, and welcome to the family and the best job you will ever have!

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X