Myspace and the official stance of your fire department

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hwoods
    We have no official policy, but my personal opinion on myspace can't be posted here, or the WT would ban me permanently, several times. As far as what we do on our own website, it's at www.gdvfd18.com look for yourself.
    C'mon Chief, don't sugar coat it, don't beat around the bush, come right out and say it!

I smell what you're stepping in Chief.....
    Jason Knecht
    Firefighter/EMT
    Township Fire Dept., Inc.
    Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

We had an issue with a memeber of the department posting something inapproprate of himself with a department logo in the picture. I feel that the board handled it very well and the person is no longer a member. I write a pretty extensive blog on myspace/facebook/live journal but the feeling of my squad cheif and others is that its perfectly fine to write whatever, but requested no specifics be used. I think while the internet lacks it, the best thing we can do is apply common sense to what we would do on myspace or otherwise.

Comment

The issue I have seen is the misrepresentation of individuals on myspace, this obviously is everywhere on the internet. I have seen individuals on there representing themselves as freakin firefighter/paramedics when in reality they are junior members. I think that if you are planning on swearing or saying sketchy things then you better make sure that you dont have anything that represents your department because people are going to associate you and your comments to the department. We had an issue with a local dept that went out shooting guns, including automatics and made themselves and the dept look like a bunch of idiots by pretty much telling the town they can do whatever they want it was private property. While legally they were not technically doing anything illegal, their attitude has made them look like a bunch of dumb rednecks who don't care what the town wants.

Comment

Uh Huh.............

Originally posted by Dickey
          C'mon Chief, don't sugar coat it, don't beat around the bush, come right out and say it!

I smell what you're stepping in Chief.....
          Yep, I think a lot of folks are starting to, as well. (the humor is noted and appreciated)

First, congrats on the promotion to Captain. I don't have a problem with myspace in particular, just those things in general. You and I speak L.E.O. fluently enough to understand Predator, and that's my problem with myspace. My eleven year old Granddaughter might think she's talking to another eleven year old girl, when she is really online with a 40something male who is staring at her photo....... Lots and lots of problems with the myspace type of thing in general.
          Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
          In memory of
          Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
          Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

No department policy. Personally, have never seen myspace.com and when asking my 10 year old about it, she said "Dad, I have real live friends, what would I bother with computer ones for?" I have to agree with her.

PS - as for what people put there with logos/dept names and such. I don't care. As for me, my Dept. name is in my profile here. If you want to put something and say something, just be able to back it up. Stand by what you say.
            "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

sketchy my space accounts

check out "Officer Medic" on myspace. I am familliar with this subject personally, and he is not even a member of any department, let alone the ones he says he is a member of. He has pictures of live burns he has super imposed himself into with some sort of helmet he must have bought on ebay. This kid is dangerous, and is going to get someone hurt. If you want a good laugh check him out. Talk about a Whacker.

Originally posted by 38ffems
              The issue I have seen is the misrepresentation of individuals on myspace, this obviously is everywhere on the internet. I have seen individuals on there representing themselves as freakin firefighter/paramedics when in reality they are junior members. I think that if you are planning on swearing or saying sketchy things then you better make sure that you dont have anything that represents your department because people are going to associate you and your comments to the department. We had an issue with a local dept that went out shooting guns, including automatics and made themselves and the dept look like a bunch of idiots by pretty much telling the town they can do whatever they want it was private property. While legally they were not technically doing anything illegal, their attitude has made them look like a bunch of dumb rednecks who don't care what the town wants.
              Jon
              FF/EMT
              Communications Trainer
              IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods
                You and I speak L.E.O. fluently enough to understand Predator, and that's my problem with myspace. My eleven year old Granddaughter might think she's talking to another eleven year old girl, when she is really online with a 40something male who is staring at her photo.......
                OMG this is so scary! When I was with the SO I used to do a lot of work with the State Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI) agents who deal with this sort of thing. They would pose as juveniles on line and when it came time to meet, I would pose as the father who would set things up. They liked using fresh faces and they said I was perfect for some UC work. It was a good feeling to get these creeps locked up. The scary thing is that some of these people were teachers, coaches, firemen, or other pilars in the community. I had to hold back from beating them. Now my 15 yr old niece is getting into the whole myspace thing. Needless to say, we had a long talk first.

Oh, and thank you on the Captain thing. All of a sudden, overnight, the workload doubled. What ever happened to delegation??
                Jason Knecht
                Firefighter/EMT
                Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse