Myspace and the official stance of your fire department

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myspace and the official stance of your fire department

Has any ones FD banned its members from posting pictures or other content bearing ANY department logos or names?

no, but since the logos are copyrighted, they have the right to not have them posted on your myspace
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

Anyone, with any amount of common sense, would not even consider posting a name or photos that would identify themselves with a specific organization......"I'm a firefighter." Leave it at that.
      "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

We recently have had an issue with this. Not so much the logo and pics but that a rookie was on the computer using myspace when he should have been going over the trucks and training. I personally hate myspace so i am a bit biased.

Comment

My take...

My department has no policy on this. However, I see no problem posting pictures of yourself in uniform or in bunker gear -- as long as your profile is above reproach.

As much as you feel anonymous posting on the Internet... There is always a paper (or would that be byte?) trail following you. So, if you're going to do or say anything shady or scandalous via MySpace, I'd limit the references to your fire department... Otherwise, you could be facing charges of conduct unbecoming.
          sigpic

Comment

Any photo that is posted on our department website is more than acceptable, but I don't believe there has been any commentary on this issue yet from our Chiefs. The reason I say any image on the department website is because victim's faces, license plates, etc. are blurred out as to not identify anyone but the FFs and the scenes.
            9/11/01 D.C. Joseph "Uncle Joe" Marchbanks
            Battalion 12
            Heaven In Harlem

Tim
            CFD #143

Comment

Well.........

We have no official policy, but my personal opinion on myspace can't be posted here, or the WT would ban me permanently, several times. As far as what we do on our own website, it's at www.gdvfd18.com look for yourself.
              Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
              In memory of
              Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
              Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

I don't see what the difference is if you have on your myspace profile the dept your on. I can see a copyright issue with logo's, that would go for any site that a person would put pictures on. I also agree that any picture of fire or accident scenes would need to be choosin wisely, as to not violate any privacy laws. We have a policy on the one dept that the computer doesn't get used for anything other than fire department use, like fire reports and research for grant writing.

Comment

I've gotta ask...

So, I've had a MySpace profile for just a short while. It's been cool -- and free compared with the class reunion sites -- to reconnect with old friends from college and high school.

So, why the hatred of MySpace from some of you guys?
                  sigpic

Comment

Myspace is now blocked from our dept computers-after a couple of the young guys sites got found.

Comment

Our department does not have a policy. As the chief I feel that members have the right to express themselves as long as it does not break any laws or create a negative image for the department.

I think we are looking at this from the wrong point of view. If you have people that are posting things that make the department look bad, chances are they make the department look bad without myspace. You need to correct the person, not "where" the actions take place.

Banning myspace at the station will do nothing, they will just do it at home. This will just build resentment and accomplish nothing.

Comment

what about representing your dept on a message board/forum? If you're not using a company name, email etc, can you post about issues at your department? Im not talking anything slanderous. Consider different tactics, new equipment or changes to sog's.

Comment

Myspace, just like firehouse.com etc. are not the problem. It is the individual USERS that can be idiots at times. I have found myspace to be quite useful in staying in touch with friends. I especially like the fact that I can keep track of all the music that I like quite easily. I will say that some of you firefighter myspace folks are a little on the geek side.
                          IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

a little Mikey? Some of them need 2 busses and a cab to get back to geeky.

Comment

Two busses and a cab

That made me laugh Quint.
                              IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader