First Responder Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Responder Class

I just got on the Volunteer Fire Dept. Im going to be taking the first responder class starting on sept. 5th has anyone else here took that class??? how hard is it??? thanks

Chad

I'm an EMT and have never taken the First Responder course, but I know some guys who have and my guess is... hardly anyone fails that class. If you know how to slap a band-aid on it and administer O2, you'll be good to go!

(Obviously there is more to the class than that... but that's the jist of it!! )

My guess is every state does it differently, so it might vary in your neck of the woods.. but here the First Responder (or Medical Responder) is the easiest one to get.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

I agree, in Ohio its a 40 hour class and is rather easy.

Honestly, if you are serious about the fire service, whether career or volunteer, try to get out of the FR class and just go for your EMT Basic. (then Paramedic) The Basic class is a little harder, but it pays off for you and your citizens, in that you will be better prepared to help them.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Cheers,
      Scott

Dayton, OH
      www.miamivalleyfools.org

Comment

I just finished the first responder portion of my training last week here in SC. Wasn't bad at all. The CPR was a breeze for me, but that's because I've been qualified on it for the past 7 years as the AF requires it for my career field.

Do read through your book, but pay attention to the demonstrations and practice, practice, practice your techniques. Anyone can put answers down on a piece of paper, but its quite another to actually do it.

The med portions and whatnot took a little more for me to remember, but my team did fairly good with the trauma portion. Like I said, pay attention and do read through the book and you'll do just fine. Remember that the first responder's job is just to assist until higher level EMS can arrive on scene.

Cheers,
        Tom Warshaw
        Tom Warshaw
        Station 13 (Bethel)
        Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Comment

Sorry for the doublepost, but I can't edit...

And if there's one thing they're gonna drill through your head (till you get sick of hearing/repeating it) is "Scene save, BSI, BSI!!!"

All together now!!!!
          Tom Warshaw
          Station 13 (Bethel)
          Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Comment

Sorry to somewhat hijack this thread but:

I'm wondering if the US version of "first responder" is the same as the Canadian version called "Medical First Responder" I have not seen a list of skills for the US version but I do have a list of general skills for the Canadian version. http://www.ehsmfr.ca/index.php?name=...q=getit&lid=68

The way it works in Nova Scotia, as far as I am aware is MFR then Primary Care Paramedic, Intermediate Care Paramedic and then Advanced Care Paramedic respectively.

I'm not sure as to how the EMT certs in the US fit into this matrix.

any help is appreciated.
            Firefighter
            Eureka District Fire Department

Comment

Originally posted by Thaddie
              I'm wondering if the US version of "first responder" is the same as the Canadian version called "Medical First Responder"
              First Responder is the lowest of four levels of care. The four levels are First Responder, Emergency Medical Technician-Basic (EMT-B), Emergency Medical Technician-Intermediate (EMT-I) and Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic (EMT-P).

First Responder is essentially a 40-hour in-depth first aid and medical care class. The skills progress through to EMT-B (no invasive procedures -- at least, in my state) to EMT-I (can start IVs or intubate depending on state regulations) up to EMT-P (who can handle IVs, intubation, administering meds, manual defib, etc.).
              sigpic

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X