Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help

Not sure how to ask this so I'll just spit it out.
    I need hard information on registered sex offenders as volunteer firefighters.
    There's 2 reasons I'm asking for this help.
    1. I'm a volunteer firefighter and going to college working on my Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice and am doing a paper on sex offenders in trusted postitions.
    2. There has been an issue arise at my station dealing with this.
    At our station, not only do we firefighters bring our children up to the station, we host an Explorer Post as well as work hand in hand with our local churchs and a cub scout pack that I help run.
    I know what the law in Georgia is on sex offenders, but no where does it state about them being in a postition of this type specifically. I know fire stations are supposed to be safe haven's and my personal opinion is that kinda takes off that list.
    Thanks for the help you can give!!!

I would tend to agree until I recently found out (not through personal experience) that a couple caught in the act in a public place (parked car, bushes etc) can apparently be required to register as sex offenders.

So I guess its not a matter of them being registered so much as what the actual crime was that required them to register.

I think having a register for sex offenders is a good idea but like many legal issues it appears that sanity may no longer apply. I want abusive crimnals registered, not a couple of teenagers who got caught fooling around in the back seat.

Comment

Sorry I should have been more specific. I'm in Georgia, and as I'm sure some of you have heard that starting July 1st 2006 we changed our sex offender laws to some of the toughest in the U.S. I've read the law that was passed, and thankfully nothing as minor as getting caught having sex in your car is considered. (LOL!!! Thank goodness cause I haven't met anyone that hasn't done that.. and have met lots that got caught!!) You dont have to register here for that. This covers, statutary rape, child molestation, aggravated child molestation, rape etc.. the tough stuff.
      Now granted I'm not 100% on the statutary rape because I think its stupid that if a girl lies about her age (And you know alot have!!!!!!) that the guy has to pay for the rest of his life. But regardless of how stupid I think it is, if a person is a registered sex offender they aren't allowed where children congregate. Our stations in our county have been designated as a place where they do because we host an explorer program. Granted most 16 and 17 year olds are going "I'm NOT a child!!" But in the state of GA a minor is considered ANYONE under the age of 18.
      And again, I know in Savannah, GA, all the stations have the sign out front that designates them a safe haven. The ones in the county I'm in are supposed to be too. If there is a registered sex offender there (no matter what his/her sex crime was they are still registered!!!) doesn't that kind of blow the safe haven to hell??
      Don't we teach our children that they can trust police, firefighters and emts? But then we also teach them that priests are too, but thats a whole nother topic!! They should be able to go to these places and know they will be safe. No matter if they are 1 day old or 17 years old.

Thanks for the reply

Comment

Check the Georgia Department of Corrections. I'm sure the state has some sort of website with info you can check out. Wisconsin has very tough rules on it and make a website where you can find out all kinds of info on sex offenders. I actually went to recruit training with the guy who runs this website.

http://offender.doc.state.wi.us/publ...rch/search.jsp

I'm sure they have something similar.
        Jason Knecht
        Firefighter/EMT
        Township Fire Dept., Inc.
        Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
        http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
        EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Yup, I've read the Ga one. Still doesn't say specifically about holding a postion of trust as this to me is or should be considered. It'd help if they wrote this stuff in plain english! (lol!!)
          Although I don't feel this person is gonna pass the background check that thankfully is a requirement in our department, its still troubling that stuff like this isn't made clear to the offenders. Or maybe it is and he has chosen to ignore it. Thinking as cop, I'm thinking he's looking for this as leverage to commit again.. But I've been wrong before. I'd just rather be safe where children and minors are concerned..

Comment

Two words:

Background checks!
            ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
            Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by NonSurfinCaFF
              I would tend to agree until I recently found out (not through personal experience) that a couple caught in the act in a public place (parked car, bushes etc) can apparently be required to register as sex offenders.
              Correct. 314.1PC (Indecent Exposure) is a "registrable" offense (if such a word exists )... however, prosecuting such would be difficult as the "elements of the crime" must include the intent to gratify or offend, and that the perpetrators had prior knowledge of there being persons present to gratify or offend. In other words, if you believe you're alone and nobody's around to see you, you don't technically meet the elements of 314PC. That isn't to say that someone will never be tried or convicted in the above situation...just that "being stupid teens screwin around in the back of a car" doesn't technically violate 314PC.

Sorry I should have been more specific. I'm in Georgia, and as I'm sure some of you have heard that starting July 1st 2006 we changed our sex offender laws to some of the toughest in the U.S. I've read the law that was passed, and thankfully nothing as minor as getting caught having sex in your car is considered.
              Self-contradiction abounds. If your sex crime laws were the "toughest in the US", then absolutely hanky-panky in the back seat of a car would be against the law, and conviction would result in "sex offender" status.

Still doesn't say specifically about holding a postion of trust as this to me is or should be considered. It'd help if they wrote this stuff in plain english!
              Most states have a "Government Code" or variation thereof, which outlines the various government entities within the state and the positions assigned thereto...including peace officers and firefighters. For example, in California, while the Penal Code designates who is a peace officer and what powers they have, the Government Code designates the requirements to be employed in a peace officer position. Likewise, our GC covers eligibility requirements for Firefighters, as well. Might try taking that tack instead.
              My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Comment

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2...pdf/hb1059.pdf

Here is a copy of the bill that has passed in Georgia. Just for the record no where does it say anything about haveing sexual contact in the car. (LOL!!) The parts of it that were changed are still there, they have aline through them with the new parts having underlines.

YES Thankfully my department does background checks. However, apparently this person was told that when his 10 years was up he could come back. Well his 10 years are coming to a close. And for the record he was charged with 1 count statatory rape and 2 (TWO!!) counts child molestation. These are the charges he spent time in prision for, that he was found guilty on.

How would you feel if you had children and for whatever reason you kept a close eye on the sex offender registery to see who in your area was registered. For whatever reason you needed the fire department and someone off that list with charges such as these shows up, you have children. Would or wouldn't you have an issue with this?

Comment

Also thanks for the help so far! I hadn't thought about going that route with it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X