No announcement yet.

Here We Go Again !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, So What Is The Problem??.............

Ya' know, I've been reading and reading this stuff and I just don't understand where the problem is. OK, so budgets are shrinking. Big deal, that happens everywhere. There are several points I'd like to look at, but first, IN NO WAY DO I MEAN TO CRITICIZE THOSE WHO ARE CURRENTLY SERVING AS FIREFIGHTERS OR OFFICERS, ONLY THE POLITICIANS.

1. In the article above, there was reference to 2 on duty, and 7 on call back?? What?? Absolutely Stupid. There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for an entire Department's available resources for a structure Fire to be 2 people.

2. Mutual Aid. Again, no mention of any being called. Why??

3. This will fire up a few, but so be it. VOLUNTEERS. There doesn't seem to be any, anywhere in this area. WHY NOT??
    Additional staffing is additional staffing, Paid or not.

I can't help but look at this area as being one where Government is heading towards a collapse. Those of you who are closer to this than I am would know more about it, but has anyone looked at dissolving all those tiny municipalities in favor of having all government functions handled at the Township, or better yet, County level.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods
      1. In the article above, there was reference to 2 on duty, and 7 on call back?? What?? Absolutely Stupid. There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for an entire Department's available resources for a structure Fire to be 2 people.
      i 100% fully agree with you there.

2. Mutual Aid. Again, no mention of any being called. Why??
      REALLY good question...even if they did, it sure didnt do a lot of good...

3. This will fire up a few, but so be it. VOLUNTEERS. There doesn't seem to be any, anywhere in this area. WHY NOT??
      Additional staffing is additional staffing, Paid or not.
      personally, i think combination departments are the best way to go. Having a crew to man the engine (or ladder/rescue, whichever the call is) PLUS vollies to back you up is a safe way to go. especially if you can get 20-30 SEMI-active voulenteers.
      First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

Comment

Harper Woods hopes that by combining police and fire protection in a single department, it will save money because fewer officers will be needed to perform the necessary jobs.
        With that statement, any Department of Public Safety they create will fail.

Regardless of whether they remain with separate police & fire departments or combine into a department of public safety, it sounds like they need MORE people. As it is, they only have two firefighters on-duty... So I can't imagine that the police staffing is much better. And even in smaller, sleepy towns, you shouldn't strip your police protection for a fire because one day, the bad guy will light a fire and have the town to himself.
        sigpic

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X