Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auto Aid Agreements

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Auto Aid Agreements

    Is it written down anywhere official what must be included in auto aid agreements? Specifically I'm wondering if it is an official requirement that auto aid agreements include emergency medical calls? I understand the reasoning behind auto aid, but need to know this specifically. Thanks!

  • #2
    I do not know nor have I ever heard of any specific set of "You must have this" rules regarding Auto / Mutual Aid agreements.

    My thoughts are when you create the agreement you should specifiy what types of calls you will respond to & under what conditions. You should also have a clause on when you will NOT respond (i.e. non-life threatning EMS responses when only 1 Ambulance is available in your own community/area).

    You can also specify tierd responses - i.e. when you will respond auto aid (or dual dispatch) vs. when you will respond after 5 minutes of trying to locate an in area available unit, 10 minutes after, etc.

    It's pretty much open to the 2 agencies / areas creating the agreement but beware vague agreements that leave room for grey areas.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dtruelove
      Is it written down anywhere official what must be included in auto aid agreements? Specifically I'm wondering if it is an official requirement that auto aid agreements include emergency medical calls? I understand the reasoning behind auto aid, but need to know this specifically. Thanks!
      Any sort of aid agreement is just that -- an agreement... There are no rules or laws that state what can be included in it. It's simply a mutual understanding of what departments are pepared to provide to each other and under what terms.

      Of course, if the departments have lawyers, I'm sure there will be certain legal language included to protect each department. I know that our mutual aid agreements include clauses that stipulate who pays for manpower and any injuries to firefighters.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        can fax or email ours ........it is easy and simple.
        IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
        Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
        ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
        RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
        LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
        I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
        "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
        http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dtruelove
          Is it written down anywhere official what must be included in auto aid agreements? Specifically I'm wondering if it is an official requirement that auto aid agreements include emergency medical calls? I understand the reasoning behind auto aid, but need to know this specifically. Thanks!
          Are you a seperate EMS provider, or are you part of a county system? Here, all 17 county FDs fall und the county authority for EMS, and all the aid agreements are handled on a county wide level. So here, EMS calls are closest unit response, regardless of city or FD district boundries.
          Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

          IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

          "No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
          RUSH-Tom Sawyer

          Success is when skill meets opportunity
          Failure is when fantasy meets reality

          Comment


          • #6
            A Good Start..............

            Originally posted by Dave1983
            Are you a seperate EMS provider, or are you part of a county system? Here, all 17 county FDs fall und the county authority for EMS, and all the aid agreements are handled on a county wide level. So here, EMS calls are closest unit response, regardless of city or FD district boundries.
            In the 1930's, The Prince George's County Volunteer Firemen's Association took several steps that were widely hailed as light years ahead of the times by some, and harshly criticized by others. First, an agreement that Each Station would be responsible for all that it was closer to than any other station. ANY artificial boundary was ignored, City lines, County Lines, election districts, everything. If you were the closest station it was yours. Second, "Closest" was by distance traveled over a road that would be usable regardless of Weather. Third, Additional stations were listed by distance, and became second due, third due, etc. Fourth, A predetermined amount of Apparatus would be dispatched on all calls. (At first it was all engines from the first three stations, later things were refined a good bit. Today it's 4 Engines, 2 Ladders, A Heavy Rescue, and a number of Chiefs.) Fifth, a "Master List" was created to ensure that, within reason, Every Station would remain covered by at least 1 Engine, even though up to 50 Engines could be assembled at one place. Last, 2 dispatch Centers were created, one for the North half of the County, one for the South. (At that time, the area's Telephone system was quite fragmented, and some areas would have a toll call if only one Dispatch Center was built. In later years they were combined.) World War Two struck, and out of the entire nation, we were better prepared than any other Volunteer System. The beginnings of our system were rather crude, but worked well with the technology and attitudes of the times. The first few years saw a Call Volume below 500 for the entire year, (Fire,EMS, Rescue, Etc.) for the whole County combined. Today, we're running the best Auto Aid system in the Country, doing over 130,000 incidents last year. The origonal rules are still pretty much what defines our operation.
            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
            In memory of
            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

            IACOJ Budget Analyst

            I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

            www.gdvfd18.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by hwoods
              In the 1930's, The Prince George's County Volunteer Firemen's Association took several steps that were widely hailed as light years ahead of the times by some, and harshly criticized by others. First, an agreement that Each Station would be responsible for all that it was closer to than any other station. ANY artificial boundary was ignored, City lines, County Lines, election districts, everything. If you were the closest station it was yours. Second, "Closest" was by distance traveled over a road that would be usable regardless of Weather. Third, Additional stations were listed by distance, and became second due, third due, etc. Fourth, A predetermined amount of Apparatus would be dispatched on all calls. (At first it was all engines from the first three stations, later things were refined a good bit. Today it's 4 Engines, 2 Ladders, A Heavy Rescue, and a number of Chiefs.) Fifth, a "Master List" was created to ensure that, within reason, Every Station would remain covered by at least 1 Engine, even though up to 50 Engines could be assembled at one place. Last, 2 dispatch Centers were created, one for the North half of the County, one for the South. (At that time, the area's Telephone system was quite fragmented, and some areas would have a toll call if only one Dispatch Center was built. In later years they were combined.) World War Two struck, and out of the entire nation, we were better prepared than any other Volunteer System. The beginnings of our system were rather crude, but worked well with the technology and attitudes of the times. The first few years saw a Call Volume below 500 for the entire year, (Fire,EMS, Rescue, Etc.) for the whole County combined. Today, we're running the best Auto Aid system in the Country, doing over 130,000 incidents last year. The origonal rules are still pretty much what defines our operation.

              I've seen this in action folks and it truely is amazing. And as far as anyone who says, that would never work here, I challenge you with.....WHY NOT?
              ------------------------------------
              These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
              ------------------------------------

              Comment


              • #8
                Malahat has MA agreements with the two closest departments, Shawnigan Lake to the west and Mill Bay to the north. Langford is to the south, but they come under a totally different juristiction, however we have responded equally to incidents on the south end highway - I'm just not absolutely sure we had an agreement with them or not.

                The basics between us and the other two is that Dispatch would page us twice. If there was no response via radio or telephone to the 2nd call, they would automatially dispatch the next nearest station to the incident. Other times that this works really well is when I took the Engine into Victoria for maintenace. Since the truck would be gone all day, and was the only Class A pumper in our district, I would call Dispatch prior to leaving the station and advise them of the deficiency (no words from the Peanut Gallery on choice of words GGGRR! ) and request that any calls requiring an engine be automatcialy given an MA page.

                Cosmo said it well. There is no need to make the Agreement really complicated - just K.I.S.S. it.










                {that would be "Keep It Simple Stupid" for all you gutter rats out there }
                If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

                "I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

                "Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

                Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

                impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

                IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by hwoods
                  Today, we're running the best Auto Aid system in the Country, doing over 130,000 incidents last year. The origonal rules are still pretty much what defines our operation.
                  The best? Perhaps.

                  But only because you all have gotten past the "bugs" that still infect our system.

                  What I refer to is that EMS is the only "true" closest unit response we have. And only because the county said "if you want EMS money, you will run closest unit".

                  The county has the authority to mandate closest response for fire, by threat of dumping departments out of the county radio system (which would cost these departments $$$$$$). They just wont "pull the trigger".

                  So what you have is departments like mine that follow it (auto aid plan) to the letter along with departments that will run apparatus from one end of town to the other before they call for aid.

                  It really makes no sense, as we all operate under one set of county fire ground SOGs, are on the same radio system (centralized 911 and county dispatch) and we all carry basicly the same equipment. Most of us even buy the same rigs (Pierce, lol). The CAD is set up for auto aid on fire calls. Some just refuse to use it. You know, my BRT is better then your BRT.

                  I guess some things just die hard.

                  Perhaps someday...
                  Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

                  IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

                  "No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
                  RUSH-Tom Sawyer

                  Success is when skill meets opportunity
                  Failure is when fantasy meets reality

                  Comment

                  300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                  Collapse

                  Upper 300x250

                  Collapse

                  Taboola

                  Collapse

                  Leader

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X