• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hwoods
    replied
    Yup!..............

Originally posted by Dave1983
    The problem is most are on hi-rise's, which means of course that one of the only ways we have to vent a hi-rise fire is now covered with metal shutters. Not a big problem when your talking first or second floor. But the 10th or 20th, now we have an issue.
    Exactly the point that several have tried to make to those posting in that circus.......................

Leave a comment:

• Dave1983
    replied
    The problem as I see it around here is vent access. A lot of what we call "snowbirds", which are people that only live here during the winter, have these shutters on their condo's. They close them when the leave for the summer.

The problem is most are on hi-rise's, which means of course that one of the only ways we have to vent a hi-rise fire is now covered with metal shutters. Not a big problem when your talking first or second floor. But the 10th or 20th, now we have an issue.

Leave a comment:

• BLSboy
    replied
    Some (elderly, lazy, whatever) leave them up and just dont take them down.
    Or, as in the hi rise condo fire, it DOES affect others.

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    People DO put their shutters up, and then leave.
    As long as they leave, then no big deal. Like I said, the saw will open them up. Not sure then why so many posts (in attached link) are worried about being trapped inside.

Leave a comment:

• E229Lt
    replied
    I know your pain Chief

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Well..........

Hey - Y'all might want to register to post on the Florida today forums. I did. And posted. And some will be very unhappy.

Leave a comment:

• BLSboy
    replied
    YES! People DO put their shutters up, and then leave. This idea is in respoce to a hi rise condo fire, and the mansion fire that my former dept had prior to my leaving. The people will just throw them up, and leave them there, not caring.
    Rick, yes, they do sound somewhat like anti barrier devices, but they are meant to protect form the elements.

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    To echo Bones, seems to me, very little will stop Mr ChopSaw, the Universal Door Opener, in a situation like this.

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    We have a fair share of "hurricane" shutters in my area during the winter. K12 with a metal cutting blade and there is no problem. But reading the posts in the attached link makes me wonder something...do people in Florida really put them up while they are still living in the residence? They seem to be talking a lot about being trapped inside during a fire. Around me, the shutters don't go up until everyone is leaving.

PS - I'm more worried about Hurricane windows than Hurricane shutters. The shutters are obvious. You can't tell a hurricane window or normal window from the street.

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    AJ, I read through most of the posts in your link, and one huge point came up: apparently my definition of what hurricane shutters are differs from what they really are. From the description I get on your link, they sound more like high security anti-intrusion barriers rather than weather sheltering devices.

I did a google search, and I answered my own question - mostly. Yes, they do work like security shutters. So now the question is asked:

Why would they be a problem to the FD or othe services, unless they were actually "activated"? Seems to me that although they get hard mounted, they can be moved away from windows etc to allow normal egress/entry.

www.tropicalstormshield.com/shutters.html This is just one site that I looked at and it seems that there are several types. The storm shields seem to be a good option. But then I have never lived in or around (other than at sea) hurricane prone areas.

Leave a comment:

• BLSboy
    started a topic Unfriggin belivable!!

Unfriggin belivable!!

Brevard County Fire Rescue Chief has expressed concern about hurricane shutters. He wants to keep them off buildings when not directly threatened by a hurricane. Good idea, right?

Theres people dont think so.....

http://forums.floridatoday.com/viewtopic.php?t=607

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X