No announcement yet.

FDNY hiring practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After reading some of the posts I thought I needed to add. I do feel that education is very important, information is what we use to do our job every day. Why would the fire service train and have all these cool classes if we didn't need to have the information. I am the new guy in the firehouse and have a whole lot to learn about being a firefighter. Education will be a big part of my learning along with a whole lot of on the job training. I think also that being a firefighter is a calling, not just a job. It is along the same lines as the military, the pay is not as good as it should be, the risks can be very high, it is extremely hard on the family, and yet you still have folks fighting to get in the job. Those are the people that will take the steps to get their EMT certification, or take the college classes to meet the hiring requirements. These are the people we need in public service jobs, not people that are looking for a shortcut.

Comment

I am really upset that people get extra points for being living in and graduating from a school in the city. How dare they lower the standards

Comment

I kinda wonder how many "whites" are members of the Vulcan society in New York.

I wonder how many "whites" are members of the Black Firefighters Association in Jacksonville, Fl.

I wonder how many "whites" are members of the Black Firefighters Association in Dallas ,TX.

I wonder how many "whites" are members of the Firefighters Incorporated for Racial Equality, or F.I.R.E. in Denver CO.

Food for thought...
        Last edited by pvfire424; 08-09-2006, 12:31 PM.
        I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Comment

FDNY could always pull a city of Chicago and go to the "lottery" system

Comment

Originally posted by pvfire424
            I kinda wonder how many "whites" are members of the Vulcan society in New York.

I wonder how many "whites" are members of the Black Firefighters Association in Jacksonville, Fl.

I wonder how many "whites" are members of the Black Firefighters Association in Dallas ,TX.

I wonder how many "whites" are members of the Firefighters Incorporated for Racial Equality, or F.I.R.E. in Denver CO.

Food for thought...

Does it matter?
            Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
            Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Originally posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Comment

Originally posted by KEEPBACK200FEET
              Does it matter?

According to these groups it does.

In reality , no it doesn't
              I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Comment

RANT....but true
                ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
                NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
                LT. John Ginley Engine 40
                FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
                FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
                FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
                FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
                FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
                FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
                FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
                FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
                FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
                "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
                *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

He brings up an angle I hadn't thought of... Why are'nt the minorities outraged that the "standards" have to be lowered to fit them in?

Why hasnt anyone just thought, maybe minority folks just dont want this particular job?

I am fairly irritated by this whole "story" but not as bad as that guy.

Bee good Y'all !
                  I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Comment

Originally posted by pvfire424
                    He brings up an angle I hadn't thought of... Why are'nt the minorities outraged that the "standards" have to be lowered to fit them in?

Why hasnt anyone just thought, maybe minority folks just dont want this particular job?

I am fairly irritated by this whole "story" but not as bad as that guy.

Bee good Y'all !
                    It's probably because they (the minority leaders included) feel that we owe them something.
                    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
                    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Originally posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Comment

Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
                      I hope he remembered to take his blood pressure medication.

Incidentally, I don't think just because you lower the college credit requirement it means you'll wind up with "substandard" firefighters. To say that is to suggest, in an indirect way, that anyone who was hired years ago before there was any college requirement was also a substandard firefighter, or would've been better had they had college. Not to mention, they don't even require an actual degree, just credits. You know how easy it is to get 30 credits from a local community college? Pathetically easy, especially if the courses can be anything, no clear degree path required. Bearing that in mind, what's the difference between 15 and 30? Not much for the person who would take the easy way out no matter what the total.

That being said, I absolutely DO think it's wrong to lower the standards. One step forward, two steps back. It IS insulting to the groups it's designed to attract, and it IS insulting to those already on the job who had to comply with the higher standard. It IS what's wrong with affirmative action and similar programs. Bottom line is that it's a JOKE.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X