Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read This Article / Rant !!!!

Having a truck getting it done?

You do not neeed to have a truck to do truck work...but it does make it look good.

An old friend once told me:

"You can teach a monkey how to squirt water, but you cannot teach that monkey how to be a GOOD truckie."
    John Murray - volunteer of the fifth.

That is the truth. It comes with experience, education, and the drive of not wanting to go back later for a "repeat performance", which can be more dramatic and more dangerous than the first. The reasons that most go back for a second show, is that it was not put out the first time. Why was it not put out? The "truckies" did not do it right the first time. Yea the engine is needed for their waaadddder but the truckies have to make those hot spots found. Yea there is alot more to it than just that but I think we all get the point.

I agree that there are companies that are buying a ladder, tower, etc and overnight "voi’-la" We are a truck co. NO george, it don't work like that. It’s like being in the limo business then over night you buy a couple trucks and you are now a trucking company...it does not work that way.

If you have educated your guys prior to the purchase of said ladder truck, and they have been acting as the "truck co" ligitamately, and they have been relied on to do the "truck work", but not just T-W, GOOD T-W, at numerous previous fires and have made themselves known for that and have proven so. Then when you get that new 750,000 TRUCK you are in the truck'n bidnezz.

Otherwise, if you get that 750,000 TOY / QUINT / LADDER / TOWER, and have not proven yourselves, and are not known at all for it. then that’s all it is...A TOY / ENGINE, real expensive one at that.

If you are going to claim that you are a truckie, you better have the *** to back it up kids...cause when some relies on you to:
    - Search above the fire without the protection of a handline and only carrying a hook and can.
    - Go past the fire room / floor to go rescue the trapped person / kids without a line.
    - Control the utilities.
    - Advise of roof AC units on commercials.
    - Get those ladderssssss (1-2 does not constitute a truckie 6-12 does, more the better) up, properly placed by yourself, cause your an undermanned ladder company.
    - Vent the roof
    - Vent the floor of the fire without endangering others.

You better be ready and not hesitate. They are relying on some of the most experienced and educated guys to get it done with out a complaint or worry !!!

Be one before you get one...

That is all !!
    Stay Safe.... 2.5 gallons is better than none
    HOLD THE TRUCK... RETURN THE ENGINE... WE GOT IT WITH THE CAN..

Um...

Quick question... What's the point of this post?
    What event moved you to step upon the soap box?
    sigpic

Comment

Huh??.................

Bro. Coz, I'll second your motion.
      Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
      In memory of
      Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
      Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Well....

in my area we had a gross amount of "QUINT" orders. These fire co's that ordered these already have several ladders in their towns or neighboring towns. They then started to claim that they were truckies overnight. But the best part of it was... Theses trucks still are not used as trucks just REAL EXPENSIVE LADDERS.. I just thought i would share my rant that i posted with other forums
        HOLD THE TRUCK... RETURN THE ENGINE... WE GOT IT WITH THE CAN..

Comment

Um.......Ok then.
          Jason Knecht
          Firefighter/EMT
          Township Fire Dept., Inc.
          Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
          http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
          EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

yeah so what is your point?
            It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

I think he brings up some good points. Skilled truckies are a dying breed, and a lot of departments lack experienced truck crews. Puuting a few senior guys on your FDs new (and first) quint is probably not going to result in very effective truck work.

Comment

hey ur from hoopieworld!!!!!
                First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

Comment

Originally posted by res54cuecaptain
                  hey ur from hoopieworld!!!!!

And how would you know about this "hoopieworld" lol

Please tell me thats not a real website....
                  Andrew
                  Firefighter/EMT
                  New Jersey

Comment

its the 'premier whacker site of the north hills of pittsburgh (and beyond)'

http://www.hoopieworld.com

it has a message board, incident pictures, a firetruck/patch showcase, a video gallery, links, radio frequencies, special events, etc, etc, etc.
                    First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

Comment

Just when you thought it couldnt get any worse lol They even named a website after themselves haha...thats great
                      Andrew
                      Firefighter/EMT
                      New Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by trkcoEMT
                        Having a truck getting it done?

If you are going to claim that you are a truckie, you better have the *** to back it up kids...cause when some relies on you to:
                        - Search above the fire without the protection of a handline and only carrying a hook and can.
                        - Go past the fire room / floor to go rescue the trapped person / kids without a line.
                        - Control the utilities.
                        - Advise of roof AC units on commercials.
                        - Get those ladderssssss (1-2 does not constitute a truckie 6-12 does, more the better) up, properly placed by yourself, cause your an undermanned ladder company.
                        - Vent the roof
                        - Vent the floor of the fire without endangering others.

You better be ready and not hesitate. They are relying on some of the most experienced and educated guys to get it done with out a complaint or worry !!!

Be one before you get one...

Sounds pretty much just some of the things you need to be a FIRE FIGHTER not just a truckie.

Skilled truckies are a dying breed
                        Truckies are a dying breed because of staffing issues, and now you need to know how to do it all and do it well.

Just my 2 and 1/2 cents (Inflation you know)
                        Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
                        Eddie C.
                        I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Comment

ohh boy.... this is going to be fun !!

Comment

Actually I see some very valid points in trkcoemt's post.

Comment

Uh Huh............

Originally posted by MaddogDFD5
                              ohh boy.... this is going to be fun !!

Yup!! Sure Is. Lesseee now, Recliner in place, Chips, Cold Longnecks, Yup, everything ready.....

LET 'ER RIP!!
                              Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                              In memory of
                              Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                              Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X