Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How offen do gas pumps explode? (video too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How offen do gas pumps explode? (video too)

Seen a few videos where the gas pump ignites on impact. How common is this?

Link-

http://www.steakandcheese.com/downlo...t_My_Lunch.wmv

Over the years I've been to a couple of jobs in Petrol Stations where a crash has caused a fire...normally a spark from the impact or engine igniting the 'fountain' of petrol that gushes out as the pump breaks.

Although (thanks to Hollywoods insistence that every car ever blows up when it crashes ) everyone, Cops included are about half a mile down the road, on each occassion we've had nothing more to deal with other than a car fire that has spread to the canopy of the petrol Station. I am assuming that Gas Station in the US are the same as ours and as soon as the pump is compromised the whole place will shut down automatically. At worst we have residual fuel in the pumps and the car tanks to deal with.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Comment

[QUOTE=SteveDude] I am assuming that Gas Station in the US are the same as ours and as soon as the pump is compromised the whole place will shut down automatically. QUOTE]

You are correct Steve......Not only will they shut down electrically, but all gas pumps in the US have a "break-a-way" valve at the bottom of the pump: if the pump is hit or is knocked over, the break-a-way valve automatically slams shut (spring loaded). The only gas that will burn will be any residual in the hoses, pump, etc.
      "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

In my area automatic extinguishing systems are also required. Dumps a lot of dry powder in a hurry, very similar to a hood system in a resturant. These can be activated either manualy or heat activated. The kids in some areas have found that putting a candle under the heat sensor and stepping back makes for an interesting sight. So any fire has agent put on it in a hurry.

Larry

Comment

What type of foam would you use. AFFF or alcohol resistant AFFF? or any others. Am I correct in assuming that the underground storage tank will almost never go up? It has a lot of concrete to go through before it touches the tank right? Could a BLEVE occur? Thanks
          J
          It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

With the increased use of ethanol, I would use the AFFF- Alcohol resistant, you won't have time to find out what blend they are using, and better to keep the vapors suppressed for as long as possible. As far as BLEVE's the tanks here are located away from the pumps and buried underground so that would be very unlikely.

Larry

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X