Wedding Tradition in the FD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just did this in my wedding in May...

All Firefighters and Retired Firefighters wore their Class A's to the wedding as requested on all of my invitations. My dad who is a retired FF was able to get a new Class A from his old department. I had two ushers that work at my station and they wore their Class A's also. I also wore mine and we got a dark/navy blue vest and tie for the best man and groomsman to match with my Class A.

We didn't do anything out of the ordinary in the ceremony. At the reception the grooms cake had our department patch and the patch and logo from my volunteer company. As we left the church we walked out under 12 crossed pike poles of lengths from 6 ft. to 12 ft. which were held by all of the guys from my station that were present. We then left on the tailboard of an antique American LaFrance driven by my volunteer chief who owns it. We just rode the tailboard around to the back side of the church and then got off and got in seats for the rest of the ride. I figured that was safest and I wanted to do the tailboard thing even if it was only for 100 yards or so.

We loved it and the people that came to the wedding loved it to. It was unique but not over the top with fire department stuff. My wife was very happy with how it all turned out. Also, we got married in a Baptist church and the reception was also there. That meant there was no alcohol so that took care of the behavior of most of the firefighters!

Brandon

Comment

Firenreq77 Thanks for posting. I loved reading it!

Comment

Originally posted by Resq1scnd2none
        AHH...I think you owe Calbou a little bit of an apology, he didn't deserve to get his hand slapped like that, others made (in)appropriate comments as well.....
        That was intended to be direct to all who had the negative comments. Sorry...
        Last edited by ksfireman82; 08-02-2006, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ksfireman82
          That was intended to be direct to all who had the negative comments. Sorry...
          Mine wasnt really meant to be a negative comment, more or less busting your stones.....Besides, isnt it tradition for your firehouse brothers to talk you out of this?????

In all seriousness, Good Luck.

I own a 1958 F.W.D. Pumper which was my volunteer company's brand new. My dad (was 17 when it was delivered) trained on it, learned to drive on it, and it was the first truck he drove to and pumped at a working fire. Fast forward to circa 1976 or so- I was about 3 and a half, dad took me to my first parade on it, my first fire truck ride. Truck was sold to another company in 1978, and in 2002 I bought it. Lots of sentimental value.

When I met my (future) wife, she just didnt understand the whole concept of owning an antique fire truck. ("It's just like owning an antique car, except bigger!") As time went on, and we got engaged, she understood the whole family/firetruck/sentimental value thing. Surprised the hell out of me when she asked if we could ride away from the church on the tailboard. On the day of the wedding, it was raining like hell. We couldnt ride away on the truck (had to settle for her dad's white H2) but it did manage to stop raining long enough to get pictures.
          "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Don't leave those disposable cameras lying around unless you want your mother-in-law to develop the pics while you are on your honeymoon and see a bunch of firemen showing their ***e$. I laughed, she didn't. She got over it. Still married 7+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by firetruckred
              Firenreq77 Thanks for posting. I loved reading it!
              Glad I could make you smile!!

Also, if anyone isinterested in some picture ideas, you can view some pics take by our photographer at Matthew Hertzfeld Photgraphy's website . Matt is a Lieutenant for the Toledo Fire Department. He has a bio on his website that tells a little about him and his history with photography. Matt also has a book that was published which is pictures taken while on the job. All proceeds for his book go to the Toledo Firefighter's Museum. The name of the book is "Smoke Showing" and there is a link on his site for it.

Matt does a helluva job taking pictures. He got some excellent shots for us......

If you want to see some of ours, click on "View Proofs" and it is the Kersh-Dempsey Wedding on 06/10/2006. You have to enter your email address, but it's not used to send junk to you......
              The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
              We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
              IACOJ

Comment

Dude that is freaking awesome!

I remember talking to josh before and after the wedding and he hadn't mentioned that. That is a kick *** idea and the helmets looked sweet. Where was the ceremony/reception?

When my parents got married they couldn't take the engine OOS to go the like 4 miles outside of the city limits to another city where the church was.....oh well.
                ------------------------------------
                These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
                ------------------------------------

Comment

I got chills even before I looked at the pics.

I have to say brother... Those are the most AWESOME weddings pictures I have ever seen! I have a big Irish and Italian family and I have to say.....That was just done RIGHT!

When I looked at the pics all I could say was Wow, WOW, WOW!

Who was your wedding planner? The family? Where are these pics taken?

Man you guys sure knew what you were doing! I am speechless and in AWE.

They are perfect.

Melissa

Comment

Very nice photo album.
                    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

A buddy who has several antique fire trucks drove us away in one. I caught some grief from my crew, but it was worth it.
                      Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

Thanks. The ceremony was at Wildwood Metropark at their gazebo that sits back from the Manor house......... Some pictures were taken there, othes in downtown Toledo. No wedding planner for us......... We did it ourselves. The photographer had a lot of great ideas from him doing stuff for others. You wouldn't think that taking wedding pictures in a dirty, dingy, nasty downtown Toledo alley would turn out as good as they did.......
                        The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
                        IACOJ

Comment

The photos in the alley have character, signify neighborhood and depth. They are all so GOOD. Didn't think you had a wedding planner. It does not have that planned looked. They are just beautiful. Congrats

Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by firetruckred
                            The photos in the alley have character, signify neighborhood and depth. They are all so GOOD. Didn't think you had a wedding planner. It does not have that planned looked. They are just beautiful. Congrats

Melissa
                            Thanks, Red!!!!
                            IACOJ

Comment

Her dress was amazing, I loved it! Very different.
                              IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by IFDFFENG20
                                Don't leave those disposable cameras lying around unless you want your mother-in-law to develop the pics while you are on your honeymoon and see a bunch of firemen showing their ***e$. I laughed, she didn't. She got over it. Still married 7+ years.
                                Excellent piece of advice... we had a firefighter make the mistake of leaving his camera around the station. BIIIIIIG mistake!!
                                Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X