Wedding Tradition in the FD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding Tradition in the FD

Hey...I haven't posted in a while...but I recently got engaged and my Fiancee wants to have a traditional FD wedding....ONLY problem is I work as a DoD firefighter so we don't have a lot of tradition in our service yet. Can anyone help me out with some of the things you do around your departments so we have some ideas. My chief and base commander are pretty willing to accomodate anything we want within reason. They had a FD wedding a while back on our base, all they did was class a's, left the service in the ladder truck, and had crossed bumper turrets and ground monitors to leave under. any other ideas?

Thanks

I just got married in June........ All of the Groomsmen were firefighters or retired firefighters. I thought for awhile about what to get them for their gift because I didn't want to do the typical flask or keychain......... I wanted to do something different. I ended up getting them each a Leather front for a helmet. I knew that each had their own little collection of fire memorabilia so this way they could have a new addition.........

Each front had:

Name
    Groomsman (or Best Man)
    Brian & Brandy
    June 10, 2006

All of the shields were White and had Black bacgrounds with red writing (The wedding colors were white black and red).

We gave them to the guys at the rehearsal dinner and they all huddled up plotting....... They initially didn't know that I had bought one for myself until later that night when I pulled mine out to show them.

The wedding was outdoors at a gazebo. We had a DJ set up behind us, somewhat hidden from everyone. As my wife was being walked up the aisle by her father, I felt a nudge from the side. I looked over and my father (my best man) handed me a red helmet that had my helmet front on it. I looked down at the rest of the guys and they were all wearing black helmets with their fronts on them. Apparently as all of the guys walked up the aisle and stood in their spot the DJ handed each of them their helmet and handed my father both his and mine. They held the helmets behind their backs, out of sight. As my wife started to walk down the aisle, they all put them on and handed me mine to put on. Nobody else saw it because they were all watching her walk down the aisle so when they all turned around they were surprised. We weren't sure how the Mrs. would take it, so everyone was prepared to pull them off and just hold them, but she thought it was great!!

We also had our engine there for photos. After we were pronounced husband and wife, they guy who drove the engine out fired up the Federal Q.

At the reception, we all walked in to the song "Fire" by the Ohio Players.......

Oh yeah....... There were a few folks from here that were groomsman........ Weruj1, ffsmromstadt13, Fire40man, nfd159 was the engine driver......

Not really any traditions per se, just something different..........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Comment

thanks for the ideas....anyone else out there with some?

Comment

Can one consummate the marriage on the hosebed like in backdraft?....LOL
        You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Comment

Any chance we can talk you out of getting married???? That would be my first piece of advise!!!
          If I'm not here I'm on http://ctfire-ems.com/indexc.php

Comment

Originally posted by osfd100
            Any chance we can talk you out of getting married???? That would be my first piece of advise!!!
            I second that motion. All those in favor, say "aye" !
            "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff
              I second that motion. All those in favor, say "aye" !
              Sorry...i'm afriad not...i'm getting married...and i'm really excited about it.

Comment

Bro- If I had a dollar for every Firefighter divorce. I am sorry, but I had to throw it in there.

I dont know how old you are, but the best advice I ever, ever got was to wait until 30 to get married. But thats only me.

And if I was to get married today, I would take the FD blend out of it. But thats just me because I like to keep work and play seperate.

-Bou
                Last edited by CALFFBOU; 08-02-2006, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CALFFBOU
                  Bro- If I had a dollar for every Firefighter divorce. I am sorry, but I had to through it in there. I

I dont know how old you are, but the best advice I ever, ever got was to wait until 30 to get married. But thats only me.

And if I was to get married today, I would take the FD blend out of it. But thats just me because I like to keep work and play seperate.

-Bou
                  Don't take this the wrong way...but I didn't ask for marital advice...I asked for ideas for the Fire Department wedding my Fiancee wants. If you don't have anything to say on that subject, please keep the rest to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by ksfireman82
                    Don't take this the wrong way...but I didn't ask for marital advice...I asked for ideas for the Fire Department wedding my Fiancee wants. If you don't have anything to say on that subject, please keep the rest to yourself.
                    AHH...I think you owe Calbou a little bit of an apology, he didn't deserve to get his hand slapped like that, others made (in)appropriate comments as well.....

Comment

I have been to approximately 15 FF weddings. To be honest with you only one incorporated any fire theme. The ring bearer was pulled down the isle (My son) in a small fire chiefs peddle car and the bride and groom rode out of the parking lot on the tailboard of the engine. You yourself will have to factor in the safety consideration of that one. The honeymoon wouldn’t be too fun with a C-collar on. My wedding didn’t include any fire theme except for my fellow LADD’s being there raising hell. One thing always remained constant at the FF reception- Alcohol! This ends up being the traditional “Drunk Firefighter Party”. Good luck to you.
                      Last edited by Ladder5B; 08-02-2006, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ksfireman82

Ouch! Welcome to the fire service. Since I am on a roll here, I see an "82" in your ID. If by chance you were born in 1982, that would peg toy around 24. As a brother, 24 is too young to get married. I just dont want you to be like everyone else and admit in 3-5 years "I got married too young."

Ok, on the lighter side, invite me to the bachalor party and that will make everything better.

Love, Bou

Comment

I'm getting that warm and fuzzy feeling.
                          One thing I forgot to mention about receptions / Firemen / Alcohol.
                          An occasional fight may break out. Just keep the firemen away from the wedding cake.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladder5B
                            I'm getting that warm and fuzzy feeling.
                            One thing I forgot to mention about receptions / Firemen / Alcohol.
                            An occasional fight may break out. Just keep the firemen away from the wedding cake.

and any off-duty cops

Comment

Congratulations

KSFireman82

Don't listen to negative comments. Some comments are from the heart, some of them are out of fear of failure on their end and some are just busting your chops. I think you are blessed to have found someone you love enough you want to marry. I pray for strength and patience in your union. I am sure she is proud of you and will support you.

God bless your wedding and I hope you have a hellava party, Firehouse style! I really like the whole idea of incorporating the Fire Dept theme in the wedding. Great ideas from firenresq77! You know on Ladder 49 they rode off on the truck together. If anyone wants to question a rock solid marriage and having the Fire Dept as part of your theme then maybe they didn't like that movie or think it was real enough. The majority of FF's say they appreciate that movie. I am not saying their aren't divorces, or that you won't have difficulties, just focus on the guys and gals who have good marriages. Stick with positive people, learn from others mistakes and rise above the problems you encounter.

Enjoy yourselves and CONGRATULATIONS!

Melissa
                              Last edited by firetruckred; 08-03-2006, 02:32 AM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X