Chasing a Stolen Vehilce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chasing a Stolen Vehilce

This Firehouse.com article states that members of Charleston, WV FD chased down a stolen pickup that belonged to one of the crew members.

While I certainly do not agree with what they did, I do understand why. What steams me is this comment:

"It was very interesting, however, for his colleagues back at the firehouse who heard, "We're in pursuit of a firefighter's stolen vehicle," while listening to the police scanner. Assistant Fire Chief Rodney Winters couldn't believe what he was hearing.."This was absolutely hilarious," he said. "We thought, 'Did they just spot the truck?' No! They were actually in pursuit."

An officer has the responsibility to stop actions that are dangerous or improper, even if the fire fighters doing it think it's OK.

The stolen truck blew a red light while they were chasing it. Did the officer ever think about what would happed if the pickup hit someone?

Did they ever consider that the person they were chasing was armed?

Anyone else bothered by this, or is it just me?
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Originally posted by KenNFD1219
    This Firehouse.com article states that members of Charleston, WV FD chased down a stolen pickup that belonged to one of the crew members.

While I certainly do not agree with what they did, I do understand why. What steams me is this comment:

"It was very interesting, however, for his colleagues back at the firehouse who heard, "We're in pursuit of a firefighter's stolen vehicle," while listening to the police scanner. Assistant Fire Chief Rodney Winters couldn't believe what he was hearing.."This was absolutely hilarious," he said. "We thought, 'Did they just spot the truck?' No! They were actually in pursuit."

An officer has the responsibility to stop actions that are dangerous or improper, even if the fire fighters doing it think it's OK.

The stolen truck blew a red light while they were chasing it. Did the officer ever think about what would happed if the pickup hit someone?

Did they ever consider that the person they were chasing was armed?

Anyone else bothered by this, or is it just me?
    They put themselves at risk, and the public if they followed the driver through a red light. They should have let LE do their job.

If what is in the story is accurate anyway.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Comment

I would be fired on the spot. But, then again , I might could get a LE job. Then again, who wants that....ugghh.

Comment

Originally posted by engine4cLT
        Then again, who wants that....ugghh.
        Apparently Charleston!
        Warm Regards,
        Shawn Stoner
        EMT-B

Comment

Someone did this nearby here. Except it was a POV chasing a vehicle that was evading an MVA. Ended with tragic results and lots of court proceedings going on right now.
          Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

I can just hear the theme from The Dukes Of Hazard playing with a loud rendition of Dixie coming from the airhorns on the apparatus. YEEEHAAW!!

Comment

Well.........

We're not known to be the kindest, gentlest spot on earth here. So, steal my truck and see where you end up. You COULD end up being pursued by a whole box alarm.... As to those who think we should leave it up to the LEO's, ours are very busy to begin with, so we don't want to add to their workload, except to ask them to take the thief to the station after we're finished with our "investigation"
              Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
              In memory of
              Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
              Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

I fail to see any humour in that situation and think it is totally irresponible and reckless. Around here we are having enough trouble with public perception during legitimate police pursuits, I am thankful to hear that this one didn't end in a trgedy and another blackeye for the Fire Service. That said, there may be a situation where I would consider such a tactic, but it would definetly have to involve some type of voilent and bizzare crime.

Comment

Funny how we hammer the crap out of LEO for making a save, yet some of you think it is ok to pursue stolen vehicles.

Comment

I gotta go with Wag on this one. There are times where a very extraordinary situation might occur but a stolen truck ain't it. I don't have a problem with following at a discreet distance, obeying traffic laws, and using the radio to guide the guys with guns in for the kill but a pursuit - no way.

Comment

Is the sky falling?

Originally posted by EFD840
                      I gotta go with Wag on this one. There are times where a very extraordinary situation might occur but a stolen truck ain't it. I don't have a problem with following at a discreet distance, obeying traffic laws, and using the radio to guide the guys with guns in for the kill but a pursuit - no way.
                      I, too have to agree with Wag on this.
                      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by wag11c
                        That said, there may be a situation where I would consider such a tactic, but it would definetly have to involve some type of voilent and bizzare crime.
                        On that note, we were returning from a call once and noticed the van in front of us driving rather recklessly. We notified PD and began to follow the car discreetly. The van turned into a neighborhood, as did we, and began to speed up (even faster than it had been going). Obviously we couldn't drive fast with the speed humps in the neighborhood, but we did what we could to follow in a safe manner. Eventually the van cut through the neighborhood to another main road (which is what we had anticipated) and low-and-behold the PD intercepted the car on the other side of the neighborhood. Turns out, the driver had mixed some meds and alcohol and decided to take their child (not properly restrained) for a ride. Good thing for everyone involved, this case turned out well.

I would not condone 'chasing' someone, but as stated earlier, following at a discreet distance and calling it in to PD is probably the best thing to do.
                        Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

From my standpoint as an FTO, Sergeant, and DUI Instructor, I catch anyone pursuing a stolen vehicle you get a reckless driving charge (at minimum) from me.

What is the purpose of pursuing? What do you lose? A freakin inatimate object. A car that is insured and replacable.

What if your POV pursuit causes injury and/or death?

Leave the law enforcing to the police. There are reasons pursuit policies are in place.
                          Last edited by SgtScott31; 07-29-2006, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods
                            As to those who think we should leave it up to the LEO's, ours are very busy to begin with, so we don't want to add to their workload, except to ask them to take the thief to the station after we're finished with our "investigation"
                            Sarcasm...Thats how I am looking at this. Hopefully. The bad part of having Fire Apparatus pursue anyone is that you dont want to find yourself in a gunfight and all you have is your Ax.
                            Warm Regards,
                            Shawn Stoner
                            EMT-B

Comment

Wag said it all. What a wonderful picture this paints to the imagination of the 7 yr old who heard this in the local news.........

Just very happy to hear that a "blown" red light was the only bad news in this story and not something much worse.
                              If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X