LODD: Asbury, Alabama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LODD: Asbury, Alabama

(This thread is also posted in the LODD section)

Aletha Faye Nixon, 17, of the Asbury Fire Department, died Wednesday night when the pumper in which she was riding went off a bridge in Marshall Co., Alabama in route to a structure fire. Three other firefighters were hurt. One is Aletha's brother Chris, who is at the UAB burn unit in Birmingham with burns, spinal fractures and internal injuries. Also in the hospital is 21-year-old Chris Graves, who is in a Huntsville hospital with head injuries. Driver Mike Parr was treated and released for burns. He told a TV reporter that the truck's brakes failed.

Relevant links:

www.asburyfire.com will have funeral arrangements today.

News:
    www.waff.com
    www.whnt.com
    www.waaytv.com

This really hits home for me as my mother grew up not too far from this area and I just drove through the Albertville area last week.

God bless this lost sister and her family, as well as her fellow firefighters.

Anyone with additional info, please post.
    “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Condolences to the Nixon family.

Speedy recovery to the other jakes.
    Proud member of the IACOJ.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you....

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

Comment

Wonder if this will lead to another fight with the NFA about the Firefighter Memorial and the DAJ about the LODD award as my assumption is she was a junior?
      Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Go to the Firehouse home page, and follow the links.

One eyewitness, stated that a fire truck spill some water when slowing down to cross the bridge. The next truck slid on the water and hit the bridge and went over.

My condolences to the Nixon family.
        "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

Comment

September 6th, 2006

ASBURY, Ala. (AP) - Residents in the community where a
          17-year-old junior firefighter was killed earlier this year are
          backing plans to repair a set of bridges where the teen's fatal
          crash occurred.
          Alethea Faye Nixon was killed July 26 when her firetruck crashed
          through the railing of a one-lane bridge.
          Only one vehicle can cross the set of bridges at a time. The
          bridges opened in the 1950s and have been a safety concern for
          years.
          Marshall County commissioner Tim Bollinger got a $2 million
          federal grant in March to replace the bridges, but the estimated
          price tag is three times that.
          Bollinger said more than 1,800 vehicles travel the bridges each
          day.
          About 400 people attended a community meeting Tuesday night at
          the Asbury High School gym where they were updated on the status of
          the project.
          State Senator Hinton Mitchem and state Representative Frank
          McDaniel, both Democrats from Albertville, are set to leave for
          Washington tomorrow to ask for more money for the project.
          About $3-point-5 million more is needed.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
          Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
          Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
          On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

I don't know where he gets the 'traveling in a fire truck' part, I can't see that restriction anywhere in the Code of Alabama but otherwise I am glad to see that the state is apparently getting around to at least mentioning Alabama's age restriction for firefighters. The law is broken all across this state every single day.

---------
            Fire trucks restricted to 18 or older after death of teen cadet
            9/7/2006, 10:24 a.m. CT
            The Associated Press

ASBURY, Ala. (AP) — The death of a 17-year-old cadet firefighter has prompted state labor officials to notify volunteer fire departments that it has been illegal for more than a decade to allow anyone under age 18 to ride in a fire truck on an emergency call.

The reminder comes after the July 26 wreck of an Asbury Volunteer Fire Department fire truck that killed Alethea Nixon, 17.

Nixon went on a call to a house fire when the truck apparently lost its brakes descending a hill and crashed through the railing off a single-lane bridge on Martling Road, plunging about 30 feet into a creek bed.

Wolfgang Trammell, the state's chief labor inspector, said the law sets the minimum age for fighting a fire and traveling in a truck to an emergency. In a Huntsville Times story Thursdday, Trammell said he led efforts in 1995 to get the Legislature to pass a state child labor law with the same protections as federal laws.

Although the Labor Department had notified fire departments of the law when it passed, he said the department has begun reminding them of the age restriction through the state Association of Volunteer Fire Departments.

Asbury Fire Chief Albert Childress said although he was unaware of the age restriction, he didn't give Nixon permission to ride on the truck.

"I didn't know she was on it," he said. "I would not have let her go."

Nixon was riding with three other firefighters in the cab of the 2,000-gallon tanker when it crashed. The other firefighters, including Nixon's brother, were injured.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X