Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PLEASE tell me this is a misprint..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE tell me this is a misprint..........

For the love of god, somebody PLEASE tell me this is a misprint......Somebody PLEASE tell me she wasnt really driving..........

A 17 (seventeen) year old Volunteer Firefighter from Asbury (AL) was killed last night while she was driving a fire tanker to a call. The young firefighter was killed and three other firefighters injured when the fire apparatus they were riding in ran off a bridge in rural Marshall County and dropped about 40 feet down an embankment.

Asbury Firefighter Aletha Faye Nixon, AGE 17, was dead at the scene of last night's crash. The firefighters, all volunteers for the Asbury Fire Department, were responding to a fire call when their crash happened. Asbury Fire Chief Albert Childress advised that FF Chris Graves was listed in critical condition at Huntsville Hospital and that FF Chris Nixon, Aletha Nixon's brother, was in critical condition at UAB Burn Center. A third firefighter, Michael Pharr, was treated and released. Other firefighters in the Asbury Fire Department responded to the scene, and freed the trapped firefighters after about an hour. We will post additional details on this tragic incident as they become available on FireFighterCloseCalls.com.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

I hope its a mis print to but these days it could be the truth. And if it is then WTF?!
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Comment

It IS a misprint, thank god.......Still a tradgedy nevertheless.........

My thoughts and prayers are with the Nixon family for their loss and their efforts in assisting Chris to a recovery, and to the Graves family as well........

UPDATE AND CLARIFICATION:

As per the Asbury FD, Asbury (Alabama) Firefighter Chris Graves is in Huntsville Hospital with serious head trauma and Firefighter Chris Nixon is at UAB in Birmingham with burn injuries and internal injuries-in critical but improving condition. Asbury Firefighter Aletha Faye Nixon, AGE 17, was NOT driving the apparatus but died on the scene of last night's crash. Additional reports are that this was a 2 door cab but that the firefighters were all riding inside that cab. More details will be posted at www.asburyfire.com as well as FireFighterCloseCalls.com.

Please keep the families of these firefighters in your prayers.

Take Care-BE CAREFUL.
      BillyG
      The Secret List 7-27-06

Comment

Age?

If more people would join there local VFD's, there wouldent be volly's on departments at this age. This happens around here in the south all the time. I train small VFD's all over south Arkansas and I see this in every county. I started as a vol. at 17. It happens. This is a LODD and treat it as one.

My prayers are with there familys.....

Comment

You're right 7160, and I don't think any disrespect was intended -- just a legitimate and shocking concern about having placed someone in that position based on the first report.

Comment

NO disrespect was intended, nor was I bashing them for having junior firefighters.....I myself started as a junior in my organization at the age of 16. I in fact support junior firefighter programs which allow membership at the age of 16 and no less. As Dalmatian said, this was a legitimate and shocking concern, about having placed someone in that position, based on the first report.

Comment

I started this thread before realizing this thread addressed this LODD. I added a few links to area media.
              “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
              ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

In any case, still a bad day for Asbury Fire Department and their families. Hearts and prayers.........
                If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Also, it was not a tanker. One TV story did say pumper, and the department's web site shows they own two Mack canopy cab pumpers, so they did NOT have four people crammed into a two-door cab (which the tanker on their web site has).
                  “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
                  ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                    Also, it was not a tanker. One TV story did say pumper, and the department's web site shows they own two Mack canopy cab pumpers, so they did NOT have four people crammed into a two-door cab (which the tanker on their web site has).
                    I wondered about the seating. Actually, I was hoping they weren't hauling four in a cab designed for three at the most. It was widely reported as being a tanker, but one of the videos shows the front end of the truck and I'm almost certain it was one of those Macks.

EasyKy, check your PMs.
                    Last edited by EFD840; 07-28-2006, 01:10 PM.

Comment

I havent been to first thread yet ............I did watch all the video new clips and the CHief said they had 3 tankers, the truck WAS a tanker..........while only 2 were viewable on the website. It appeared to be a Mack 2 door cab. It is a sad day and that young woman had no business going in a truck to a call.
                      IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                      Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                      ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                      RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                      LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                      I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                      "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                      http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Weruj is right, it was a tanker.

This is a bad, bad deal.

Comment

My thoughts and prayers go out to the famlies......

I've viewed the news footage and it's reported that the vehicle was built for two persons yet there were four on board. The Fire Chief stated that this should have never happened and changes will now be enforced. Why does someone have to die for changes to be addopted and enforced ?

Why wouldn't common sense prevail here ?......A Tanker built for two why in the hell would four climb on board ? WHY ? This is with out a doubt pure stupidity. I feel for the loss which of course no one wants to deal with but seriously - It was quoted that the truck's brakes may have failed and the driver lost control......The anchor man doing the segment was standing at the top of a pretty steep grade so it's easy to see that if the truck was going at a decent clip, hit the grade, didn't down-shift, and had a shift in water the brakes will no doubt fail and you'll loose control. Now with three other people in a cab designed for two maximum it's easy to see why a loss of life occured.....a loss that could have been prevented by a number of factors but most importantly the use of common sense.

I'm sorry if some people reading this think I'm heartless or non-caring. Truth is I do care and I simply get up-set when people just don't think with the brains they were born with.

Comment

Just another terrible terrible tragedy. We fight for seatbelts and this truck didn't have enough seats much less belts. This really ****es me off. I can't speak for everyone at my dept and I like to think it works this way for all, I dont move until everyone is buckled, period. If people dont like it then I guess they better try to thumb a ride and if they dont like that then guess what there are other towns with depts. Anybody who thinks otherwise is wrong, you can pack up then buckle up. How many more brothers and sisters must we lose before we finally enforce this stuff. 17 yrs old, who knows how great a firefighter she could have been and now...my heart and prayers are with our fallen sister and her family.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X