What Constitutes a "Fire Hydrant"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Constitutes a "Fire Hydrant"

OK, for the third time I am trying to post this. A local irrigation group decided to put in some underground pipes, about 10" for irrigation (non potable but clean) and then they decided it would be good to have hydrants to lower their insurance premiums. The trouble is they installed single 2.5" wharf hydrants with 2.5" or 3" risers only. Does anyone have a reference to a publication such as NFPA or ISO or otherwise that defines what a fire hydrant is/is not?

Birken

http://firehydrant.org/info/

Try this.....wow thats a good website, I'm bookmarking that one.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Comment

Better than no hydrant at all.

Comment

We have a large residental subdivision with some 1800-2500' SF homes served with nothing but dwarf hydrants every 1000' or so. Maximum flow is about 300 gpm. We also have some in the more rural area of our district.
        Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the insurance companies consider flow as well, not just the fact somebody says a drinking fountain out front has an outlet for the FD.

When I was getting home owners insurance a few years ago I had to give information on the nearest hydrant, nearest fire station etc. The insurance companies may not be the sharpest tacks in the box but they don't usually hand out discounts too easily. I always thought fire flow was for insurance purposes as well as planning fire response but I could be wrong.

Comment

Try NFPA 24 & NFPA 25

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...