Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrainingNut
    replied
    In my area it is always called a Hydrant Assist Valve, or HAV.

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    Sounds very similar to the Jaffrey 4-Way Valve we used in Vermont, except both of the boost connections (valve-to-engine and engine-to-valve) connections were 2.5".

It was similar to Bou's picture except the direct flow discharge was 4" and it connected to the steamer, not a 2.5" port.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 07-28-2006, 03:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Well.........

The Humat goes on the Steamer (4-4.5 or whatever) connection, not the 2.5 You connect it to the Hydrant and turn the hydrant on, and the line from the hydrant to the Engine is charged. Later, when another Engine arrives, they connect their suction sleeve to the Steamer outlet on the Humat, and connect a line from their discharge to the Humat "passthru" intake. This allows the second engine to take the water from the hydrant in thru their pump, then boost the pressure and send it back thru the Humat and down the supply line to the first engine.

Leave a comment:

• Res343cue
    replied
    Originally posted by CALFFBOU
    Hmmmm....Fooled me. At first I thought you were talking about a "Blake 4-way" valve.

-Bou

Link- www.firehydrant.org/info/4way1.html

What's the difference between that and a "Humat" or "Hydrant Assist Valve" ?

Leave a comment:

• CALFFBOU
    replied
    Hmmmm....Fooled me. At first I thought you were talking about a "Blake 4-way" valve.

-Bou

Link- www.firehydrant.org/info/4way1.html

Last edited by CALFFBOU; 07-27-2006, 06:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    The 4-Way hydrant Valve was used every time we hooked up to a hydrant in my department in Vermont. Our hydrants had very good flow, but very low pressure (most less than 20 psi), so the 4-Way valve would allow the first in engine to lay a line from the hydrant and flow water, and then the second due could just come in and pump-through the 4-Way to increase the flow from the plug. It also eliminated the problem with our odd ball steamers that were not the same size as our mutual aid departments as all the connections on the 4-Way were standard 4" storz.

They were also very helpful in relay pumping situations as the hose just had to be on the ground and connected to the 4-Way for water to flow. The pumps could take thier sweet time hooking up to boost pressure. (We also had a hose cart which could lay and we could flow water before waiting for the pumps needed for the relay)

Leave a comment:

• Dickey
    replied
    That's the doohickey thing whatchamajigg deal!!

Actually I have heard "Humat" or "Hydrant Humet"

Leave a comment:

• CaptainGonzo
    replied
    If the title of the thread is "Name a valve for me"..

We'll call it the MCaldwell valve!

We use the hydrant assist valv on out 4" LDH supply lines. We have a section of our fair city that is notorious for having low water pressure ( A hydrant with 35 psi is considered an excellent one in the area) If we need to goose the pressure, no problem..the next engine can do it for us. We also have the Z valves that can be used to boost the pressure if necessary for very long hoselays.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 07-26-2006, 08:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lieutenant387
    replied
    Mcaldwell, are you talking about a valve we call a "water thief"? If it is the one Roughrider has pictured it is intended to boost available water taken from a hydrant. Basically, it allows you to go below thw 20psi static that commonly is taught.

Leave a comment:

• mcaldwell
    replied
    Quite often, apparatus from our county will respond to that area, (auto aid, and a "Closest Apparatus no matter who" attitude) and find the line laid out, but not charged.
    Well that is a difference here, we NEVER lay a line without leaving an attendant to charge it. Unless we know the 2nd due is in the rear-view mirror, then we might assign them to connect. Water supply is definitely a priority.

Originally posted by Bones42
    We don't carry one. We did some flow testing with our hydrants and found it was simply not worth it. The added gain was negligible in our situation.
    That is what I was thinking too, but it is not so much just for flow as pressure compensation. We would likely never lay more than 1000-1500 feet of 4", but since we are in the mountains, it could easily be up a hill with 50-100 feet of vertical drop.

I don't remember the department name but they do a reverse lay 9 times out of 10. In my FFII class we watched a video of them stripping the engine of everything before tearing down the street looking for the hydrant. they had it in about25 ticks and they left a manifold nd started laying hose out. Kinda a different way of doing things.
    We have thought about that too, and do so in some areas with long hydrant spacing, but I would rather take the 1000 gallons on the truck and get to work. Plus, I prefer to keep my gear and comms close. Radio coverage with portables can be sketchy at the edge of our district, and the mobiles must be used by command for MA and dispatch comms.

The last thought was that with a small 2 1/2 engine dept, and MA 30 minutes away, if we ever had to disconnect the second engine for any reason, the humat would allow us to do so and still maintain flow (even if decreased). I would certainly not use it every time, but when you wanted it...

But I could just be over thinking it.

Leave a comment:

• mcfd45
    replied
    Reverse lay

I don't remember the department name but they do a reverse lay 9 times out of 10. In my FFII class we watched a video of them stripping the engine of everything before tearing down the street looking for the hydrant. they had it in about25 ticks and they left a manifold nd started laying hose out. Kinda a different way of doing things.
    J

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    I know a company that uses a Humat valve every time they hit a hydrant. In my 23 years, I can think of only 3 or 4 times that anyone else has actually hooked up to it as a second engine.

We don't carry one. We did some flow testing with our hydrants and found it was simply not worth it. The added gain was negligible in our situation.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Yup!......

Originally posted by NYSmokey
    Yes. Go with that thought
    Tom is Correct. Just because you have a wait for your next Engine, your need for immediate Water doesn't change. What works for me, (lots of Engines, fairly close together) will not work for everyone. Another County, not far from us, uses the Humat Valve. Quite often, apparatus from our county will respond to that area, (auto aid, and a "Closest Apparatus no matter who" attitude) and find the line laid out, but not charged. They often take the Humat off the line before hooking up.

Leave a comment:

• NYSmokey
    replied
    Originally posted by mcaldwell
    In longer lays off a single source, I was thinking that it might be useful to allow for an MA engine or second due to relay without disturbing our supply line.

General thoughts?
    Yes. Go with that thought

Leave a comment:

• mcaldwell
    replied
    Originally posted by hwoods
    Seriously, We put an Engine on the Hydrant, EVERY TIME. We do NOT connect hose directly to the Hydrant.

Well, we wouldn't need to much of the time, as usually stage within 100 feet of the hydrant almost anywhere in our village. Occasionally however, we might only get one engine out the door quickly, with the second 5-10 minutes behind.

In longer lays off a single source, I was thinking that it might be useful to allow for an MA engine or second due to relay without disturbing our supply line.

General thoughts?

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X