question on helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on helmets

I was thinking about adding some stickers to my helmet to be able to distinguish it a little easier. If i add these stickers will it affect my hemlmets nfpa rating since you can not modify your gear in any way?

Originally posted by umscheidk
    I was thinking about adding some stickers to my helmet to be able to distinguish it a little easier. If i add these stickers will it affect my hemlmets nfpa rating since you can not modify your gear in any way?

If the helmet is NFPA compliant

Ask yourself if I put a sticker on my helmet...

Will I go to jail?
    Who will enforce these NFPA ratings?
    What are the consequences for failing to meet NFPA 1234?
    Will it matter to anyone?
    Will I die?

FTM-PTB

PS- Answers are:
    -No
    -No one.
    -There are none.
    -No
    -Yes, everyone dies...it won't be because of your helmet stickers.

Comment

Our FD started using Sages (now Fire Warriors) a little while ago and it required drilling two small holes in the front lip of the helmet to mount a holder. We called Cairns to ask about the consequences. They said that we can do whatever we want to our helmets; stickers, mounts, different goggles, etc., but if the product was not approved by Cairns then their liability ended. If someone receives a head injury while wearing a Cairns helmet, then there is no liability for Cairns and no benefits for the injured firefighter from Cairns.

Is a sticker that has not been approved by the helmet manufacturer going to cause a failure? No, but it is still a technical detail to consider because some lawyer will jump all over it.

Comment

why do people love the leather lids so much? i havent tried one myself but the standard issue has been fine so far. I always hear people say they love leather but never give a real reason. Are they lighter?Fit better? last longer?

Comment

why do people love the leather lids so much? i havent tried one myself but the standard issue has been fine so far. I always hear people say they love leather but never give a real reason. Are they lighter?Fit better? last longer?

Personally for me.

Better fit.
          Better quality construction...better craftsmanship.
          More durable.
          Better protection from heat.(I think at least one manufacture made a stop gap fix for this problem)
          Worked just fine for over 100 years...impecible safety record.

Comment

uhm FFRFRED it says you are temporarily not active ? but you are able to post ? how cool is that ?
            IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
            Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
            ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
            RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
            LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
            I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
            "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
            http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

WHOA!!!

First of all because FFred is inactive but posting and secondly because Weruj has 7700 posts!
              ------------------------------------
              These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

Weruj1,

He posted that before he got suspended I believe. It all started in the shorts thread. Hope he has a speedy return.

By the way, not one "do a search!!!!" yet in any of the helmet related threads posted by umscheidk
                Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

Originally posted by NYSmokey

By the way, not one "do a search!!!!" yet in any of the helmet related threads posted by umscheidk

i considered it
                  These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

If you do not modify the fit, form or function of the helmet, it does not matter. The only exception I know of is Texas, where the fire commission specifically bans any decals unless you have a letter from the manufacturer approving them.
                    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

TRADITION.
                      My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X