Whats the difference between...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the difference between...

Ive heard a lot lately about nomex, kevlar, carbon fiber, p84 and PBI in helmets hoods, boots, and turnout gear lately. Whats the difference/ best to keep cool/ keeps away the heat best? any help would be appreciated.

I've used the regular nomex, and carbon. haven't gotten to test out either really well in a good hot fire. I've heard bad things about the carbon ones letting heat through or failing, but not sure on all the details.

Comment

Originally posted by umscheidk
      Ive heard a lot lately about nomex, kevlar, carbon fiber, p84 and PBI in helmets hoods, boots, and turnout gear lately. Whats the difference/ best to keep cool/ keeps away the heat best? any help would be appreciated.
      In a helmet, there is no difference in the material. Any fiber (Kevlar, fiberglass, carbon fiber) is bonded with a resin. This resin, not the fiber, is what tends to fail under high heat. If the helmet is NFPA certified, then they all offer the same impact resistance.
      My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X