Accident R1 FDNY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accident R1 FDNY

Thoughts and Prayers for all the R1 Brothers and a speedy recovery for FF's Walters and Schunk.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Speedy recovery boys!
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Comment

Wishing a full and speedy recovery to FFs Walters and Schunk
      Shawn M. Cecula
      Firefighter
      IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

It doesn't sound to good, I hope that these guys will be able to recover and come back to the job they love. It's never fun rescuing your own and with something as serious as this I hope all the guys at Rescue 1 are doing ok. My prayers are with you guys.

Comment

Accident R1 FDNY

The firefighters of Rescue 1 were forced to tend to two of their own after a taxi slammed into their rig on the Upper West Side last night, officials and witnesses said. The impact threw one of the Bravest toward the sidewalk and jammed the other between the cab and the fire truck, seriously injuring both men. "There was the crash. There was a firefighter pinned. He was wailing. I had to plug my ears because I've never heard such suffering," said Jamie Maslyn, 36, a landscape architect. The pinned firefighter, John Walters, 37, was taken to Bellevue Hospital, where he was in critical condition early this morning. His 41-year-old colleague, Mike Schunk, suffered a crushed leg and was taken to New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell. Both were expected to survive. The stunned cab driver and his passenger were transported to St. Luke's Hospital for minor facial injuries, authorities said. The horrific accident occurred shortly after the Rescue 1 rig double-parked along Columbus Ave. near W. 71st St. as the crew of about six picked up dinner at 10:30 p.m. The two injured firefighters had bought a mozzarella burger and a cheeseburger at Big Nick's Too, then crossed the street to climb into their truck while some of their colleagues were picking up meals at nearby Harry's Burritos. Witnesses said the cab, traveling south on Columbus, drove straight into the fire truck without braking, as though the driver didn't see the vehicle. "He was standing at the rear of the truck, and the cab hit him straight on," Rachel Sokol, 26, a Web site editor, said of Walters. "It was scary. Oh, my God, so scary." Other firefighters, who are specially trained to handle the most difficult rescues, ran over to aid their injured colleagues, witnesses said. As the dazed cabbie and his passenger climbed out of the taxi, onlookers hollered, "Back up the cab! Back up the cab!" But the driver was too stunned to react. In the end, the firefighters had to move the truck to free Walters. "Both of them were in here just before the crash," said Reaz Bhyiyan, 49, of Queens, a short-order cook at Big Nick's. "They come in three, four times a week. They're real nice guys. I just don't know what to think." A colleague said Schunk and Walters were veteran members of the FDNY with more than 15 years on the job. Both had responded to the Sept. 11 attacks, he said. "They're just good guys," said a former colleague of the injured men. "They're rescue guys. They're the guys who would go above and beyond." "There wasn't one skid mark," a police source said. "He [the cabbie] may have been driving behind a larger vehicle and changed lanes to get around and ran smack into the parked vehicle." The 55-year-old cabbie has a clean driving record, the source said. At Rescue 1's firehouse at 530 W. 43rd St., grim-faced firefighters began to trickle in hours later. Asked how they were holding up, one replied, "Not good." Rescue 5 from Staten Island came to cover for Rescue 1 after the crash.
          ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
          NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
          CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
          LT. John Ginley Engine 40
          FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
          FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
          FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
          FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
          FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
          FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
          FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
          FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
          FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
          "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
          *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
            FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
            FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
            "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
            *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

Keep these two brothers in your thoughts and prayers.

Fireman Michael Schunk

Fireman John Walters

FTM-PTB

Comment

My thoughts and prayers are with the brothers for a full and speedy recovery.

Comment

My heart goes out to these two brothers and their families. Will definately be praying.

Also can any of the brothers from FDNY keep us up to date on these brothers?

Sincerely
                  Tann3100
                  IACOJ
                  FTM-PTB

Comment

I hope the Brothers recover soon. I have a very close friend in R1...I have tried to ring him but got no answer. Hope he wasn't involved.
                    Steve Dude
                    IACOJ member
                    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Comment

That must have been absolutely horrifying for their brother firefighters to deal with - one would never expect something like that to happen to your crew while you're in the middle of something as innocent as picking up dinner.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for both Michael and John. My thoughts are with the FDNY, especially Rescue 1, and the Schunk and Walters families.
                      September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                      IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                      Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

my heart goes out to Michael Schunk and John Walters and their families. hope you recover quickly, brothers.
                        First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

Comment

May God watch over the injured brothers and give them a quick recovery. The injured firemen, Res1cue, their FDNY brothers, and their families have been in my thoughts and prayers since I learned of the accident this morning.
                          Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

"OUTSTANDING" RESCUE 1---I pray for a fast recovery for firemen John Walters and Mike Schunk so that they may return in good health to their families and hope they can return to duty. May the Lord be with them always!

Comment

The emergency calls came in one after another: A man on the subway tracks. A gas leak. A building collapse. A small fire. Fourteen long hours into their double shift, the dinner break was supposed to be a moment of relaxation for the elite firefighters of Manhattan's Rescue 1, whose subway run had been photographed by the Daily News. But the downtime turned tragic when a cabbie slammed into the back of a Rescue 1 truck on the upper West Side late Wednesday, injuring veteran Firefighters John Walters, 37, and Mike Schunk, 41. "I was out on the sidewalk when it happened," said FDNY Lt. Jim Carney, one of four Bravest who escaped injury during the 10:30 p.m. wreck on Columbus Ave. "I don't quite know what happened. That cabbie came from nowhere." Rescue 1's concerned firefighters split their time yesterday between Bellevue Hospital, where Walters was in critical condition, and New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell, where Schunk was in stable condition. Walters, of Port Washington, L.I., underwent 12 hours of surgery to repair compound fractures to both his legs after he was pinned between the cab and the fire truck. Doctors initially thought the married firefighter, who has been temporarily assigned to Rescue 1, could lose part of his right leg. But Walters had regained at least partial circulation in the limb by late yesterday, an FDNY source said. "He's lucky that he has no internal injuries," the source said. "Hopefully he's on his way to recovery." Walters and Schunk - who both responded to the World Trade Center after the 9/11 attacks - were among several firefighters who helped care for a man who fell onto the subway tracks at 57th St. and Seventh Ave. Wednesday. About five hours before the horrific taxi accident, The News photographed Walters as he helped carry the bloodied man from the subway station. Schunk, an ex-cop who joined the FDNY in 1994, was more concerned yesterday about his family and Walters' recovery than about his own injuries. Schunk, the married father of a 2-year-old girl, broke his right tibia, requiring a rod to be placed in his leg, when the cab hit the double-parked FDNY rig near W. 71st St. "His spirits are good. His prognosis is good. He's going to recovery," Schunk's wife, Veronica, 37, said last night before heading back to their Long Beach, L.I., home. "Considering what happened, Michael is a very lucky man." After a visit from Mayor Bloomberg, Schunk ate a mozzarella hamburger in his hospital room yesterday afternoon. The rescue company's best cook, whose firehouse specialty is linguini and clams, had ordered the same burger from Big Nick's Too just before Wednesday's accident. Bloomberg visited Walters at Bellevue last night. No charges were filed against the cabbie, Mohammed Ali Khamis, 45. He and his passenger, Jorge Carballo, 37, were treated at St. Luke's Hospital for minor injuries. Khamis apparently was trying to pass a slower-moving car when he hit the FDNY truck, a police source said. Fire officials said it's routine for firefighters to go on meal breaks as a group because it allows them to respond together if there is an emergency. The rig was double-parked because of its length. "Where are you going to find a parking space for a truck that size?" a fire official asked.
                              NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                              FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40