The HEAT is on....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The HEAT is on....

With Temp's in the 90's and even up to 100F, firefighter's really do have the hottest job in town. This hot weather looks to be around for some time. After working one house fire this morning I can feel the heat. Burn ban's in my state are up in most major countys. And the wildfire threat is way up. Drink lots of water and try to stay in the station....

Drink lots of water and try to stay in the station....
    That seems simple enough

Comment

Today is meant to be the hottest July day in the UK since 1911... at least 96f. They are now expecting the 2003 101f record to go before the summer is out.

We haven't seen significant rain for ages... most UK Fire Depts are flat out with grass fires etc. I have now invested in Air Conditioning for the house...I never thought I'd be saying that this side of me retiring to somewhere hot....somewhere hot has come to me instead!!!!
      Steve Dude
      IACOJ member
      www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Comment

I know the feeling Steve...its baking over here....as far as i know one of our lads actually put in a request for shorts in there clothing issue...cant wait to see what kinda reply he gets..
        Dublin Fire Brigade

*The Fire-Fighting Irish*

If u cant use it, eat it or drink it............SMASH IT !

And always remember to duck !!!!!

Comment

normal

100's are normal here. 115 + is getting hot. I know we are dry heat here most of the time but when we are in our monsoon season, like now, the humidity makes it real interesting.

Comment

During a busy day Sunday, I was actually glad to do a "hot" unload of a patient out of the medivac chopper...the rotorwash felt great.
            The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Comment

Sissies....

It was 98 here Saturday with heat indexes in the 110 range and we did a practice burn on an acquired structure. Twelve burns before we called it quits.

Okay, Yes, I am messing with your heads calling you sissies. We took adequate breaks and rehab. Instructors were rotated out and rehabbed every bottle. This was about 4 fires per instructor then rehab.

No heat related injuries, in fact no injuries of any kind. We had a dedicated EMS crew and ambulance on hand and fortunately all they were needed for was taking vitals and supplying water and gatorade.

Maybe I am getting old but damn the summer's seem hotter than ever before. And here in Wisconsin where summer and humidity mean essentially the same thing it is brutal at times.

Stay safe, pre-hydrate on these hot days and make sure to get out if you are feeling sick or light headed...there is no shame in rehab on these types of days.

FyredUp
              Crazy, but that's how it goes
              Millions of people living as foes
              Maybe it's not too late
              To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp
                Stay safe, pre-hydrate on these hot days and make sure to get out if you are feeling sick or light headed...there is no shame in rehab on these types of days.

FyredUp

Sound advice there.... a crew who have fallen over due to heatstroke are no use to anyone. We have been doing everything apart from up close structure Firefighting in Bunker Pants Boots and Helmets where rank needs to be identified. Even at the handfull of multi alarm jobs last week, everyone not involved in Firefighting including The Incident Management team were dressed down. It's no fun having Heat exhaustion, having suffered it once on a job its a ghastly feeling...

Temperature in my part of London broke the record for July today...it hit 97.3F.
                Steve Dude
                IACOJ member
                www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Comment

I thas been around 105 here all week...first day I spent working on and around a fire engine all afternoon in the direct sun. Kind of ruined me for the rest of my shift (3 days) now all I do is go out for PT in the morning and sit inside all day. Normally I tolerate the heat real well.

Most of the time I will always get geared/bunkered up before going to any fire but in this heat I save that till I get to the scene. With our 10-20 minute response times you can get mighty hot before you see any fire...

Fortunately the high pressure has made the atmosphere stable so the brush and grass fires aren't taking off like they should be but with all the fuel and how dry it is, anything can happen.

I am glad I get to go home tomorrow. I have been busting my @$$ this week even though I didn't really want to.

Birken

Comment

OK I give up, ....I'm moving to Alaska..
                    Never trust a smiling dog.
                    The uniform you're given is free, but it comes with a history. Do the right thing when you're in it.
                    PTB, EGH, FTM.

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp
                      Maybe I am getting old but damn the summer's seem hotter than ever before. And here in Wisconsin where summer and humidity mean essentially the same thing it is brutal at times.
                      Boy Howdy!!!!

I feel the same way. I sometimes catch myself looking at where I am standing to make sure I'm not in cast iron skillet!

Serously, Drink, drink and drink water only! I feel for anyone with a worker in this heat. Please, be careful!!
                      Jason Knecht
                      Firefighter/EMT
                      Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                      Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                      http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                      EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

It was 104 for our shift with 55 or 60% humidity for my shift Wednesday. Luckily, it was a quiet day. The boys yesterday weren't so lucky and caught a house fire with heavy involvement. We had multiple members go down because of the heat and had very little mutual aid for relief because our neighboring departments had multiple working fires, too.
                        sigpic

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X