X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firemanjb
    replied
    Originally posted by sergeanttimmy
    I know this has been done to death but i couldnt find the answer when i searched the forums. I am trying to figure out the differences between the sam houston and new yorkers. I am aware of the differences regarding nfpa and osha compliance, as well as the impact caps etc. I was told today that there are structural differences in regards to height and size of the dome and length of the rear brim. I have heard that the houston has a lower dome and a longer rear brim but I have also heard the same about the new yorker. any help clearing this up would be appreciated. This is more for future reference because I still have a couple of years left in the Marines and all we wear are 660s with baked potato covers. please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong forum. I don't get on these things much.
    Thanks,
    Timmy
    USMC Crash Crew
    The main difference (other than cosmetics) between the N5A and N6A is that the N6A (Houston) is an NFPA certified helmet. The N5A is not.

Leave a comment:

• FirstIn34
    replied
    Crown Pieces

The newer N6A's have a shiny brass crown piece, while the N5A's are painted to match the helmet. A little steel wool could always polish the paint right off if you don't like it.

Leave a comment:

• sergeanttimmy
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    We have Morning Pride LiteForce lids with the aluminized covers for flashover training at the Massachusetts Fire Academy... we call them the "Jiffy Pop" helmets!
    thats a new one... I will have to use it. we just refer to our proximity gear as "baked potato suits. a guy I work with is from Mass... Im not sure where though.
    Last edited by sergeanttimmy; 07-18-2006, 03:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ehs7554
    replied
    With salt and butter
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• CaptainGonzo
    replied
    I have one of each.. I prefer the New Yorker, so that's my preferred "lid of the day". The differences are subtle, but the N5 rides lower on my head, and it is more comfy.

This is more for future reference because I still have a couple of years left in the Marines and all we wear are 660s with baked potato covers.
    We have Morning Pride LiteForce lids with the aluminized covers for flashover training at the Massachusetts Fire Academy... we call them the "Jiffy Pop" helmets!

Leave a comment:

• REVANANT
    replied
    At one time there were differences in the leather outer shell. The Houston had a wider more pronounced arch to the dome. This was back in the late 1980's. Currently there is very little visible difference in the New Yorker and the Houston.

Larry

Leave a comment:

• ehs7554
    replied
    See if you can open this. It has a great cutaway to help answer your question.

http://media.msanet.com/NA/USA/FireH...ull3600-04.pdf

The Houston has a lexan impact cap in addition to the plastic inner dome, typically comes with googles or 4" face shield and is slightly heavier. Overall the helmet is a little bigger because of the extra inner stuff.

The NEW "New Yorker's" have a single plastic inner liner and typically comes with flip downs "bourkes".

Leave a comment:

• sergeanttimmy
    started a topic n5a and n6a diffs, please clear this up for me

n5a and n6a diffs, please clear this up for me

I know this has been done to death but i couldnt find the answer when i searched the forums. I am trying to figure out the differences between the sam houston and new yorkers. I am aware of the differences regarding nfpa and osha compliance, as well as the impact caps etc. I was told today that there are structural differences in regards to height and size of the dome and length of the rear brim. I have heard that the houston has a lower dome and a longer rear brim but I have also heard the same about the new yorker. any help clearing this up would be appreciated. This is more for future reference because I still have a couple of years left in the Marines and all we wear are 660s with baked potato covers. please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong forum. I don't get on these things much.
    Thanks,
    Timmy
    USMC Crash Crew

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...