This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steamer...

It's not fair to make me scream out loud in laughter like that!

Comment

• Originally posted by RspctFrmCalgary
      Again? Did he come back since Monday?

I was wondering this morning how much longer his "go sit in the corner" will be.
      There's no telling what "Temporarily Inactive" means...

Originally posted by ChicagoFF
      I just meant could someone explain "again". Did he really get booted for badrapping some firefan chief in the desert? Unbelievable.
      ChicagoFF... I was just taking a guess at what happened, since his account now says "Temporarily Inactive" and all of his posts about Bruno vanished.. I concluded that someone reported him to the Webgods and they sent him to the corner. Yea, I agree.. really lame. The Webgods have not offered any explanation for his "time-out" or deleted posts... Obviously whoever reported him isn't going to have the balls to come out and say why they did it, instead of just acting like an adult and "agreeing to disagree." Who knows... some people never mature.

That's just my take on the whole situation, I tried to e-mail FFFred yesterday and it said that I couldn't.. don't know if that has to do with the "time-out" or not?
      Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

• Well done, Steamer!

LOL- Nice job- point well taken (wiping egg off my face). You better check yourself before Bruno and I send Mrs. Smith over there to kick your arse! :-)

Comment

• There is a difference between disagreeing with someone's views and continually attacking someone..... which is what FFred does on a consistant basis with Bruno. The reality is he has very different, and very valid ideas about what the fire service should be. It is certainly not an east coast attitude, which is not a bad thing. As a former east coaster, I miss the traditions of the service the east coast carries on, but I don't miss the macho "tough guy" firefighting mentality which seems to be more prevelant in some of the departments.

Personally, I agree with Bruno on many things, including the importance of a cutomer service side of a fire department, especially a small department such as ours. Most of what we (as in my FD) do on a daily basis has little to do with emergency services but has more to do with customer service - giving directions, providing information, assisting folks in our district with moving patients from chairs to beds (and the other way around), rescueing pets and changing tires and getting gas for folks who are stranded on the highway. The reality is we rely on that "customer" service to get our fire tax renued every 5 years by our "customers". We do not do enough runs, as MOST fire departments in this country do not do enough runs, to be sitting around "waiting" for the next emergency. We need to be be proactive and not view ourselves as an insurance policy. The community expects more from us ... and the more we do the more we will recieve in return (funding and support).

I also agree with his focus on bruinging the boys home. if that means delaying service to the public by putting SCBA in a compartment rather than in a place ewhere they will be unbelted while donning, that's cool. For too long we have put the public's safety ahead of ours. It's good to see that someone has the balls to say that this isn't right and more importantly, has the nuts to implement the changes ... we need to change direction in the fire service and this is NOT a bad thing. But enough on that as that is not the topic at hand.

There has been discussion in the department about shorts, but as of now we are not allowed to wear them. Currently, we are not required to wear bunkers at MVAs (unless actually running a tool) and we are allowed to fight brush fires in uniform pants due to the heat (and lack of funding for wildland gear) and the one of the main concerns are the heat related issues that will come about when we wear bunkers at MVA's and brush calls to cover the shorts. We are also not allowed to wear bunkers at medicals due to the fact that it may cause damage to our "customers" carpeting and flooring, so the shorts would present an issue there for us as well. Since we spend minimal time in bunkers, the overexertion factor at structure (and vehicle) fires caused by long pants-vs-shorts (which I feel is truly minmal) is pretty much a non-issue within our organization.

Personally I think they look very unprofessional, and if given the choice, I doubt I would wear them. Image is very important, especially in slower departments such as ours, and if I was a member of the public, I would not want to see my firefighters wearing shorts. To me, it just isn't the image I think we should be portraying.
          Last edited by LaFireEducator; 07-27-2006, 06:24 PM.
          Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steamer
            I just about sprayed my keyboard and monitor seeing that, Steve.. you could have given us a warning!
            ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
            Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

• For too long we have put the public's safety ahead of ours.
              Are you kidding me? Why would you do this job at all then, that’s what I want to know. There is inherent danger in this line of work, and no matter what you do, that risk will still be there. Unless of course you don't enter burning structures at all.
              We’re paid to put the public ahead of us, that’s our job. This attitude makes me extremely grateful I work where I do, and more importantly, with the guys I do.
              I expect the guys protecting MY family to put my mom’s, or my dad’s safety ahead of their own, in return, I do the same for the people I serve.

We are also not allowed to wear bunkers at medicals due to the fact that it may cause damage to our "customers" carpeting and flooring, so the shorts would present an issue there for us as well.
              This statement completely contradicts the quote from above. Since your safety is more important than that of your “customers”, you should indeed be wearing bunker pants on EMS types of runs, because bunker gear is rated for bloodborne pathogens, and your station wear is not. Certainly, the health and well-being of your firefighters is more important than some carpeting, or flooring is.

I understand where some departments are coming from with their lack of wanting uniform shorts. The reasoning is good and sound, as is my logic. We wear our shorts as a WORK uniform, not as a public relations, administrative, or a staff uniform. You tell me that shorts don’t work because of the type of department you work; I’ll turn around and tell you they work just fine in my job, because they do.
              Last edited by jasper45; 07-27-2006, 07:32 PM.

Comment

• I have no problem with any department that wears shorts if it works for them. They do certainly have thier benefits, but in my view though, it just makes us look like postal carriers or UPS drivers, not firefighters.

(Picturing Doug Heffernan on an FDNY engine right now)

We disagree on how important our safety is and that's cool. I've expressed my views many times before and I'm sure nobody wants to hear them again ... so we'll just agree to disagree.
                Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

• You all know the saying........
                  Attached Files
                  Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

• I have no problem with any department that wears shorts if it works for them. They do certainly have thier benefits, but in my view though, it just makes us look like postal carriers or UPS drivers, not firefighters.
                    I agree with you 100%.

Personally, I agree with Bruno on many things, including the importance of a cutomer service side of a fire department, especially a small department such as ours.
                    I also agree. I have a lot of respect for Bruno for his contributions to the fire service. And.......if so many people dont like him or think he is way out in left field, then why does he fill huge rooms at places like the ICHIEFS, Firehouse Expo, and FDIC????? Most of his talks are standing room only. Additionally I have seen him pack auditoriums where the cost is in excess of $100 to attend. Someone is obviously paying attention because I do not know many people who would spend that amount of money to listen to a guy who they despise!

so we'll just agree to disagree.
                    and move on! FFFred obviously struck some nerve and in his own abrasive way he was attacking someone and got called down on it... end of story....
                    Last edited by captstanm1; 07-27-2006, 09:50 PM.
                    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                    ------------------------------
                    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                    BMI Investigator
                    ------------------------------
                    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

• Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
                      I hear you are getting a neato Christmas present this year courtesy of the CFD.. Plus you get it personalized !
                      Screw you, mikey!!!!

And, yeah, whats with the names??? Like I want any of those mutts knowing my name!
                      I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

• Originally posted by captstanm1
                        I agree with you 100%.

I also agree. I have a lot of respect for Bruno for his contributions to the fire service. And.......if so many people dont like him or think he is way out in left field, then why does he fill huge rooms at places like the ICHIEFS, Firehouse Expo, and FDIC????? Most of his talks are standing room only. Additionally I have seen him pack auditoriums where the cost is in excess of $100 to attend. Someone is obviously paying attention because I do not know many people who would spend that amount of money to listen to a guy who they despise!

and move on! FFFred obviously struck some nerve and in his own abrasive way he was attacking someone and got called down on it... end of story....
                        Oh no! FFFred attacked someone who put himself in the public eye? If you can't take the heat......... don't tell people you knoiw how to run their department!
                        I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

• I also agree with his focus on bruinging the boys home. if that means delaying service to the public by putting SCBA in a compartment rather than in a place ewhere they will be unbelted while donning, that's cool.
                          The moving of the SBCA to a compartment, versus having them mounted in the cab is pure bull-s#!t. The extra time it takes to get out of the cab, go to a compartment and hand out SCBA cases or take out the airpacks and donn them is just costing precious time. In a custom cab fire apparatus, there is NO REASON why you cannot sit down, donn your shoulder straps, and get seatbelted within 5-10 seconds. It's not rocket science, and you can have it done before the garage doors are all the way up. It's a training issue.

For too long we have put the public's safety ahead of ours.
                          Okay, so if we follow your line of thinking, we need to stay OUT of the burning buildings, and let the "public" save themselves? How about letting the public run the Jaws at the next extrication? After all, "weve been risking our safety for the publics for too long".

It's good to see that someone has the balls to say that this isn't right and more importantly, has the nuts to implement the changes ... we need to change direction in the fire service and this is NOT a bad thing. But enough on that as that is not the topic at hand.
                          It's funny. You mention his name up "here", even in your old stomping grounds, and he's not known. Ask the fire chiefs here in Vermont, and they're going to look at you saying "Who?"... I guarentee it.

Currently, we are not required to wear bunkers at MVAs (unless actually running a tool)
                          What if there's fluids on the ground? How about broken glass? God forbid if you have one of those magical explosions from the movies! Sounds like you're willing to sacrifice your safety very willingly when it's "convenient".

and we are allowed to fight brush fires in uniform pants due to the heat (and lack of funding for wildland gear)
                          Whoa. Once again. No wildland gear? You're sacrifycing your personal safety? Haven't "we" (as a fire service) been doing that too long already? Hmmm.

and the one of the main concerns are the heat related issues that will come about when we wear bunkers at MVA's and brush calls to cover the shorts.
                          Shouldn't you have your bunkers on anyways at an MVA? Like I said above, what about fluids, glass, and everything else?

We are also not allowed to wear bunkers at medicals due to the fact that it may cause damage to our "customers" carpeting and flooring, so the shorts would present an issue there for us as well.
                          Blood borne pathogens anyone??? By your own words, isn't YOUR safety more important then ANYTHING else??????

Since we spend minimal time in bunkers, the overexertion factor at structure (and vehicle) fires caused by long pants-vs-shorts (which I feel is truly minmal) is pretty much a non-issue within our organization.
                          Hmm...... Since you spend so little time in your bunkers, I guess you aren't sacrifycing personal safety at all, right?
                          Originally posted by ThNozzleMan
                          Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
                          FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Comment

• Originally posted by LaFireEducator
                            For too long we have put the public's safety ahead of ours.
                            I'm not sure about you, but putting the public's safety ahead of my own is what I signed up to do. I know it what the citizens expect. It's why they pay my salary. No, I don't mean being reckless. I wear my seatbelt. I use my PPE. But there are inherent dangers in this job and I have no problem facing them and I don't think they can all be eliminated if we're to do our job effectively.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Wow, a whole lot of stuff being tossed around. I missed the whole FFRED thing, too bad, I'd like to here his opinion.
                              Anyway, I work for two places one wears shorts and the other wears a full class B. (button down shirt, tin, etc.) We have had a heat index near 100 and their is no comparrison between the two.
                              As for looking like the FedEx guy, that is BS, just say you don't like the shorts. We have had shorts for a few years and aside from one hospital receptionist telling me I have a cute bottom (crazy or blind I can't decide) I have never heard word one from the public. Also the Chief hasn't gotten any phone calls about it (and he gets plenty of calls on all sorts of stuff).
                              If you live in a hot climate and don't wear shorts it is because some pencil pusher sitting in the AC doesn't like them. PERIOD.

One potentially important point, In my class B uniform people often call us "officer" thinking we are the cops. It has never happened in the shorts and polo. We have gangs and other assorted bad guys and I'd just as soon not be mistaken for a cop.

Comment

• The fact that a very well known and public fire service figure refers to our community service as "customer" service speaks volumes on just how far out of touch he is.
                                I have a very hard time referring to a fire victim or an MVA victim as a "customer". Especially, one who is a very unwilling "customer".
                                I believe suspending FFFred was pre-emptive. I strongly doubt that the Desert Chief had anything to do with it. Got to keep revenues up, ya know?
                                My problem is that I was personally attacked in a couple of threads, I reported them and not a PEEP out of the WT.
                                Just goes to show you who has the juice.
                                If the rational used for not doing anything is that I brought it on myself, well then, so did the Desert Chief, because he has an opinion on everything. Therefore; he is FAIR GAME.
                                Oh; and if you want to wear shorts under your bunker pants, then please sign the waiver.
                                Sorry; I got off topic.
                                CR
                                Last edited by ChiefReason; 07-28-2006, 11:53 AM.
                                Visit www.iacoj.com
                                Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
                                RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse